Philadelphia DA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philadelphia DA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm pretty sure they were referring to professional licenses, not little student certifications like that. I called them before I sent mine in, and thats what they told me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:55 pm

I agree with the previous poster. The license thing was for "real" licenses not certifications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:18 pm

Now that it's February, are any other 3L's 10000x more anxious than they already were? (raises hand) This wait is horrible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Yes! Knowing that the committee is meeting this week makes me feel very anxious. My panel was in October! I may call at the end of the week. After all, maybe the committee met today. I hope that people will post as soon as they hear something. please post good or bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes! Knowing that the committee is meeting this week makes me feel very anxious. My panel was in October! I may call at the end of the week. After all, maybe the committee met today. I hope that people will post as soon as they hear something. please post good or bad.

Reading this reminded me that I feel like throwing up with anxiety.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes! Knowing that the committee is meeting this week makes me feel very anxious. My panel was in October! I may call at the end of the week. After all, maybe the committee met today. I hope that people will post as soon as they hear something. please post good or bad.

Seriously. For the sake of my mental health, I hope they have their decisions soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously. For the sake of my mental health, I hope they have their decisions soon.

They better send out the rejection letters at the same time they call with offers. I just want news, good or bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:25 pm

I was looking at the TLS posts from last year and they seem to send out rejection letters around the same time they make calls. Please post if you get a call. That will allow those that do not get a call to expect the worse. I might have to vegetate in front of the tv to help myself deal with it all. I am glad I have company, even if it is through a chat room.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 pm

i wonder how many different 3l's have been posting on this blog. are there a ton of us? or just the same few posting over and over again?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i wonder how many different 3l's have been posting on this blog. are there a ton of us? or just the same few posting over and over again?

There are probably a handful of 1Ls and 2Ls posting, with the rest of the comments coming from 3Ls. I, for one, am anxiously waiting to hear from the office, and I hope that if I get a call, I have a chance to work with you guys and gals. Keep your heads up and don't get too discouraged. I'm going to play some CoD to take my mind off of the waiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Do we know if the city granted the budget request for the additional 13 spots Seth Williams requested?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:44 am

Are the 2L intern positions paid? What was the selection process like?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Any news? Did anyone call?

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:06 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Are the 2L intern positions paid? What was the selection process like?

From the website

How many offers are extended each year?
Each summer we hire approximately 30-second year law students for our summer intern program (15 paid positions with a weekly stipend of $460 and 15 work/study positions).

The hiring process consists of two steps.

Step One - Prescreen Interview
First, you submit a resume and cover letter to the Hiring Coordinator. If you are selected, you will be contacted by an individual Assistant District Attorney to schedule a "prescreen" interview. Following the initial prescreen interview, a decision is made whether or not to refer the candidate for a full committee interview.

Step Two - Full Committee Interview

The full committee interview is a 20-minute interview with at least five members of the Hiring Committee. You will be asked to bring 6 copies of your resume, an official transcript, a photograph and a writing sample. The candidate should come to the interview prepared with all of these items. (If you order your transcript from your law school and the institution intends to forward it directly to us, please bring an unofficial copy to the interview).

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:30 pm

^Thanks!

Will not having worked there 1L summer shut you out for 2L? I'm doing civil indigent legal aid (i.e. DV, immigration/asylum, etc.) in Philly my 1L summer. Have strong ties to the area.

What kind of grades do you need for the 2L gig? I have VERY lopsided grades from first semester (1 A and everything else, meh), so I'm unfortunately in the middle of the pack. :?
Resume screams public service, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Is this the week we are for sure supposed to hear?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is this the week we are for sure supposed to hear?

I wouldn't get your hopes up for this week, since all they said was mid-February. They also told me I'd hear by the end of January so at this rate I wouldn't be shocked if they don't get back to us until the end of February.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:45 pm

I wouldn't get your hopes up for this week, since all they said was mid-February. They also told me I'd hear by the end of January so at this rate I wouldn't be shocked if they don't get back to us until the end of February.

This. I interviewed in October and was told that they would make decisions sometime around late December/early January, and they keep pushing the window back. The committee is probably meeting in the next week or two and I wouldn't be shocked if they started calling/mailing decisions by the end of the month. Good luck to everyone here; I just want to get this decision process over and done with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:48 pm

PinkLotus wrote:What kind of grades do you need for the 2L gig? I have VERY lopsided grades from first semester (1 A and everything else, meh), so I'm unfortunately in the middle of the pack. :?

DA told me that he doesn't really care about grades(with it being obvious that he doesn't want anyone who is scrapping the bottom of the barrel), he wants people who are dedicated to public interest and who know their way around the court room. Community service is a plus as well. Hope this helps out.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:What kind of grades do you need for the 2L gig? I have VERY lopsided grades from first semester (1 A and everything else, meh), so I'm unfortunately in the middle of the pack. :?

DA told me that he doesn't really care about grades(with it being obvious that he doesn't want anyone who is scrapping the bottom of the barrel), he wants people who are dedicated to public interest and who know their way around the court room. Community service is a plus as well. Hope this helps out.

How about being on a journal? Is that important?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:45 am

PinkLotus wrote:How about being on a journal? Is that important?

General advice for you (or anyone else, I guess) since you seem to be pretty interested in working at Philly DA/PD from your many posts:

Journal is not important at all unless you want to be in Appeals...neither are grades. Writing is an incredibly small part of the job. I believe they really only want a transcript to see what classes you've been taking and verify you're not lying on your resume. Unless we're talking NYC offices or a select other few, throw the usual law school job criteria thinking in the trash. It certainly doesn't apply to Philly DA. You're better off spending the time worrying about doing the best you can in the interviews.

I think you said you ended up going to BC, which, from my experience, was not the best choice if you want to come back to Philly to be a DA or a PD. Temple rules both offices in employment and internships/clinicals. The school has very strong connections to them and the Trial Ad program is highly respected in the area. The best way to get into either office is to work for them as a student. That being said, you said you had strong ties and PI experience, which are way more important than grades/journal/school rank/etc. These work in your favor, but expect to get questions about why the heck you left if you really want to work for the Philly community.

It's probably for the best that you decide whether you want to be a DA or PD as soon as possible so you can forge connections and build a resume which shows dedication to one side or the other. Work from the opposite side on your resume raises suspicions and is not generally considered a positive. The PD (and many PI groups) will likely give you the big boot on the basis of DA work alone. The DA seems to be a bit more open to PD experience, but don't expect the folks interviewing you to be delighted to see it. Either way, waffling is not a good idea when it comes to this line of work...especially in this city.

You mentioned getting a PI gig for 1L summer. This should be a plus for the DA (unless the gig is defense oriented, like the Innocence Project), but working for the office would have been a bigger plus and allowed you to skip the screener for 2L. It sounds like you're still more competitive than a lot of other candidates, but recognize that not going to a Philly school and not being able to put in hours at the office will make things harder for you. I think the best thing for a person in your situation to do, if you want a Philly DA 2L gig, is work for your local DA's office as much as you can during the next school year, take relevant classes, know your strengths/weaknesses, and rock the interview.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:How about being on a journal? Is that important?

General advice for you (or anyone else, I guess) since you seem to be pretty interested in working at Philly DA/PD from your many posts:

Journal is not important at all unless you want to be in Appeals...neither are grades. Writing is an incredibly small part of the job. I believe they really only want a transcript to see what classes you've been taking and verify you're not lying on your resume. Unless we're talking NYC offices or a select other few, throw the usual law school job criteria thinking in the trash. It certainly doesn't apply to Philly DA. You're better off spending the time worrying about doing the best you can in the interviews.

I think you said you ended up going to BC, which, from my experience, was not the best choice if you want to come back to Philly to be a DA or a PD. Temple rules both offices in employment and internships/clinicals. The school has very strong connections to them and the Trial Ad program is highly respected in the area. The best way to get into either office is to work for them as a student. That being said, you said you had strong ties and PI experience, which are way more important than grades/journal/school rank/etc. These work in your favor, but expect to get questions about why the heck you left if you really want to work for the Philly community.

It's probably for the best that you decide whether you want to be a DA or PD as soon as possible so you can forge connections and build a resume which shows dedication to one side or the other. Work from the opposite side on your resume raises suspicions and is not generally considered a positive. The PD (and many PI groups) will likely give you the big boot on the basis of DA work alone. The DA seems to be a bit more open to PD experience, but don't expect the folks interviewing you to be delighted to see it. Either way, waffling is not a good idea when it comes to this line of work...especially in this city.

You mentioned getting a PI gig for 1L summer. This should be a plus for the DA (unless the gig is defense oriented, like the Innocence Project), but working for the office would have been a bigger plus and allowed you to skip the screener for 2L. It sounds like you're still more competitive than a lot of other candidates, but recognize that not going to a Philly school and not being able to put in hours at the office will make things harder for you. I think the best thing for a person in your situation to do, if you want a Philly DA 2L gig, is work for your local DA's office as much as you can during the next school year, take relevant classes, know your strengths/weaknesses, and rock the interview.

Hey, thanks, this is gold! I am leaning strongly towards the prosecution side. The PI gig I have this summer in Philly not defense oriented--I will be assisting immigrant victims of DV.

You said, "The PD (and many PI groups) will likely give you the big boot on the basis of DA work alone." What kind of PI groups? Will even civil legal aid orgs in Philly (i.e. CLS, PLA, etc.) look suspiciously at DA work?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:24 am

PinkLotus wrote:
Hey, thanks, this is gold! I am leaning strongly towards the prosecution side. The PI gig I have this summer in Philly not defense oriented--I will be assisting immigrant victims of DV.

You said, "The PD (and many PI groups) will likely give you the big boot on the basis of DA work alone." What kind of PI groups? Will even civil legal aid orgs in Philly (i.e. CLS, PLA, etc.) look suspiciously at DA work?

That's a good job to have for the DA.

Obviously, places like the Innocence Project or National Clearinghouse for the Defense of Battered Women raise an eyebrow. What's pretty dumb is that many of the non-criminal law groups, including/similar to ones that you listed, may also view you suspiciously. They don't see DA work as public interest work and pretend ADAs don't work for the interests of the indigent, even though most victims of crime are just as poor as the defendants. Apparently, working long hours for low pay in the interest of making low-income Philadelphia neighborhoods better places to live puts you in the same category as Biglaw associates in their eyes. Individual opinions may vary, but this seems to be the prevailing attitude from what I've seen/heard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 am

First rounder here for a permanent position. Got a ding in the mail in January.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

That's a good job to have for the DA.

Obviously, places like the Innocence Project or National Clearinghouse for the Defense of Battered Women raise an eyebrow. What's pretty dumb is that many of the non-criminal law groups, including/similar to ones that you listed, may also view you suspiciously. They don't see DA work as public interest work and pretend ADAs don't work for the interests of the indigent, even though most victims of crime are just as poor as the defendants. Apparently, working long hours for low pay in the interest of making low-income Philadelphia neighborhoods better places to live puts you in the same category as Biglaw associates in their eyes. Individual opinions may vary, but this seems to be the prevailing attitude from what I've seen/heard.

Thanks. That is a true shame. I worked in Kensington before law school, and seeing how crime affected my students was a big motivator for wanting Philly DA. :(

Return to “Legal Employment”