Philadelphia DA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Re: Philadelphia DA

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:1Ls who submitted hear anything yet?

Radio silence.

I wonder if long period of silence=ding, or if they dignify rejections with a response, lol.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:21 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Radio silence.

I wonder if long period of silence=ding, or if they dignify rejections with a response, lol.

I think they just aren't ready to interview candidates yet. My CSO told me that I was way early on my application.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:00 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Radio silence.

I think they just aren't ready to interview candidates yet. My CSO told me that I was way early on my application.

Looks like your CSO was absolutely right...just checked the AZ Gov. Honors site and it says, "1L interviews begin in February, and offers are made in early April."

Do any 2Ls/3Ls know what kinds of grades needed for a 1L gig? Will taking Criminal Procedure as a spring elective give a measurable "boost"? Regarding other factors, I grew up in Philly and my resume screams PI (but I'm sure that's the case for most people applying!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 am

Notes to 1Ls:

Don't panic, guys. I know you're probably getting antsy seeing your peers in suits and hearing them talking about where they're interviewing/working already, but you're on a different time table if you want to work with Philly DA. Quite frankly, I would be surprised if you heard anything by this point as a 1L. It means absolutely nothing if you haven't heard anything.

Also, grades don't matter for 1Ls at all. They don't ask for a transcript. Worry more about why you want to be there, what you have to evidence it, and how you'll be a benefit as an intern. Anything regarding classes and junk will only help you in terms of things you might want to talk about during an interview. Specifically concerning taking Crim Pro...I don't know that it would get you any sort of significant boost, especially considering that many schools don't let you take it until 2L anyway, but I can see it being helpful when you actually do the job and maybe worth mentioning in an interview to show your interest in what they do at the office.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Notes to 1Ls:

Don't panic, guys. I know you're probably getting antsy seeing your peers in suits and hearing them talking about where they're interviewing/working already, but you're on a different time table if you want to work with Philly DA. Quite frankly, I would be surprised if you heard anything by this point as a 1L. It means absolutely nothing if you haven't heard anything.

Also, grades don't matter for 1Ls at all. They don't ask for a transcript. Worry more about why you want to be there, what you have to evidence it, and how you'll be a benefit as an intern. Anything regarding classes and junk will only help you in terms of things you might want to talk about during an interview. Specifically concerning taking Crim Pro...I don't know that it would get you any sort of significant boost, especially considering that many schools don't let you take it until 2L anyway, but I can see it being helpful when you actually do the job and maybe worth mentioning in an interview to show your interest in what they do at the office.

THANK YOU!!! This gives me so much comfort that they emphasize other factors. Guess my 1 B in Torts won't screw me over after all :lol:

What was the interview situation like for 1Ls? One-on-one or the grueling panel type interviews w/ lots of hypos?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Panels are reserved for 2Ls/3Ls/Laterals. 1L interview is just one on one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 pm

I called today with a glimmer of hope that they might have sped things up and maybe they would tell me offers are going out in the next week. No such luck... mid-February it is. Womp womp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I called today with a glimmer of hope that they might have sped things up and maybe they would tell me offers are going out in the next week. No such luck... mid-February it is. Womp womp.

Oh man. Thanks for the update.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I called today with a glimmer of hope that they might have sped things up and maybe they would tell me offers are going out in the next week. No such luck... mid-February it is. Womp womp.

Mid-Feb for 1Ls or 2Ls/postgrad?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 pm

does anyone know how many 3l's got panel interviews and how many spots are available?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:15 pm

PinkLotus wrote:

Mid-Feb for 1Ls or 2Ls/postgrad?

3Ls/postgrad

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know how many 3l's got panel interviews and how many spots are available?

I believe about 200 3Ls got panel interviews and there are something like 35 spots open. Don't take my word for it, though. I was talking to an ADA before my panel interview and she told me a lot of people have been leaving so they have more spots than usual this year. I didn't ask why they're leaving, but I have my suspicions.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:04 am

Any 2Ls have any news back on offers or an idea of when they're coming out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:52 pm

So I just called and yes it is Mid. February for 3Ls. The hiring committee is meeting next week. I also learned that 8 offers have been extended to the prior summers 2L class. So we wait some more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:37 am

What kind of grades do you need for a 2L summer gig? Is it paid? How will doing civil legal aid (i.e. DV, immigration, etc.) in Philadelphia for my 1L summer be looked at?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Got another offer and accepted it. Good lucks to folks still waiting!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Congrats on your offer. Is it a DA's office?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Nope, legal aid. Didn't want the job search to occupy any more time this semester, so I jumped at the opportunity.
Last edited by BlueLotus on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:28 pm

I would have also jumped at the opportunity. After all, you are still in public interest and probably qualify for loan forgiveness. That is awesome. Congratulations.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would have also jumped at the opportunity. After all, you are still in public interest and probably qualify for loan forgiveness. That is awesome. Congratulations.

Oh sorry, I didn't make it clear--I am just a 1L, lol. According to the AZ Gov. Honors site, 1L internship offers go out in April, and I didn't want the job search to interfere with my studies any longer.

Does anyone know what sort of grades are needed for the 2L gig? (strong Philly ties, resume screams PI) Is it paid, or would I need to find outside funding?

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:28 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:23 am

I got the offer late Friday afternoon, so they haven't been made aware about it yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:44 pm

to the 3l's waiting to here back about job offers, on the background check you all filled out, when it asked about having any licenses that require good character, did you all put down your 3l's practice certifications? i did not even think about it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to the 3l's waiting to here back about job offers, on the background check you all filled out, when it asked about having any licenses that require good character, did you all put down your 3l's practice certifications? i did not even think about it

Nope, I didn't. I didn't even know that was a thing. Oops.

Return to “Legal Employment”