Philadelphia DA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Philadelphia DA

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Just heard back about a second- (and final-) round interview with the Philadelphia DA. 20 minutes, constant hypos, five or six ADAs. Anyone gone through the second-round interview here? Any tips?

Glock

Bronze

Re: Philadelphia DA

Post by Glock » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:54 pm

They are looking for FAIR, LEVEL-HEADED, and ETHICAL people who will follow the law. Repeat that to yourself 100x. Cheat-to-win prosecutors are the bane of DA office's existence because the proliferate work where there should not be any.

In hypos they will almost always be difficult or strange ethical questions. The correct answer is: "since I have never encountered that before I would contact my supervising attorney and seek advice. In the rare I am forced to act without the benefit of advice I would disclose this conflict/evidence/witness to the judge and opposing counsel."

I've also seen witness coaching questions. "Witness X previously told you that Y did Z. Now they tell you that they don't really remember what happened and were not sure at the time they told you. What do you do?"

Sometimes you'll see this question phrased before OR after they testify. "Witness X testifies that Z happened. Later they tell you that they were not sure about the facts in their testimony but they said it anyway because they know Y did it. What do you do?"

"I would seek advice, but in the absence of advice I would disclose."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:13 pm

The poster above has some good advice. But if you might also cite examples from your own life where you have handled difficult ethical issues successfully--simply saying I'd ask a supervisor it every time probably won't cut it.
That goes for other questions too-- if you can relate your answer back to a specific example in your own life it can be effective in getting across who you are.

They WILL try to grill you. I walked out feeling like I did not get the job-- most I have spoke with had similar experiences.

But it is for a good reason. MC court in Philly is not for the faint at heart...

The office is a great one to work in! Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks very much, friends. Did you have an idea how many people they interview for the second round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey--another 2nd round interview person here! I don't know how many people get call-backs but I do know it's very competitive. There were three 3L call-backs at my school (out of 20+ interviewed).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Are you guys 3Ls or 2Ls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:Are you guys 3Ls or 2Ls?
OP here. 3L interviewing for an ADA position.

I think they were taking 25/year a few years ago, but I don't know if that's still true ITE. I go to GULC and I think they gave nine of us second-round interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:15 am

was late for my interview. didnt thinkt he panel was very friendly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:43 am

Did all of you with CBs do DA-esque work 1L and 2L summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:25 pm

yes, i did both summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yes, i did both summers.
Have you gauged if that's a requirement for serious consideration? I'm a 2L at a T2 Philly school in the top 15% and am trying to pursue a career in a niche area of law (that is mostly public/regulatory anyway), so I haven't summer at a DA's office - will this be a definite sinker? I'm genuinely interested in this type of work, but it's a backup.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Have you gauged if that's a requirement for serious consideration? I'm a 2L at a T2 Philly school in the top 15% and am trying to pursue a career in a niche area of law (that is mostly public/regulatory anyway), so I haven't summer at a DA's office - will this be a definite sinker? I'm genuinely interested in this type of work, but it's a backup.
Didn't do criminal stuff either 1L or 2L summer. Have CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:59 pm

I have a 2L summer interview coming up - I would really appreciate any advice if anyone is in a similar position.

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
School/grade range? Do you have Moot Court or a journal? T2 Philadelphian in the top 15% with a secondary, curious as to my chances next year if I bust at OCI (which is likely now). Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
School/grade range? Do you have Moot Court or a journal? T2 Philadelphian in the top 15% with a secondary, curious as to my chances next year if I bust at OCI (which is likely now). Thanks!
I'm also very curious about this. I have a ton of relevant experience but my grades are only mediocre.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm also very curious about this. I have a ton of relevant experience but my grades are only mediocre.
Poster above, are you saying my grades are mediocre :cry: or the school+grades combination makes me mediocre. (If that actually wasn't directed at me in the way I interpreted, then my bad!).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I'm also very curious about this. I have a ton of relevant experience but my grades are only mediocre.
Poster above, are you saying my grades are mediocre :cry: or the school+grades combination makes me mediocre. (If that actually wasn't directed at me in the way I interpreted, then my bad!).
I'm sorry I must have been writing carelessly, I did not mean to suggest anything about your grades. I also attend a T2 and am on a secondary journal--my grades are mediocre...only top 30-40% after 1L. Philly DA is where I would like to eventually end up, so I was just looking to see if anyone knows about the importance of grades for the process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm sorry I must have been writing carelessly, I did not mean to suggest anything about your grades. I also attend a T2 and am on a secondary journal--my grades are mediocre...only top 30-40% after 1L. Philly DA is where I would like to eventually end up, so I was just looking to see if anyone knows about the importance of grades for the process.
IMO and from my experience thus far grades are important to the large DA offices but not a deal breaker. I am a T1/Law Review/30-40% with a lot of substantive crim law experience and have my final round with Philadelphia next month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Has anyone else had an in-office screener for the 2L internship? I had one last week and was wondering how long it took for them to contact you about the panel interview or to reject you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:50 pm

Anyone know if they're still looking at 2Ls for the summer program? Way late, but yeah.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Deadline to apply was October 15 for 2Ls. I had a screener last week and I am waiting to hear back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Answering my own question, for the record.

Screener last week, heard back today and will be going to panel interview in early December.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:47 pm

Does anyone that had a second round interview for an ADA position know when we will find out about whether we got the job?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:04 pm

They told me they'd make decisions in December sometime.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”