Why Skadden? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why Skadden?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:23 am

I am interviewing at a Skadden office (not NYC) and looking for talking points. Any advice?

Anonymous User

Re: Why Skadden?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:10 am

Because they are the most socially well adjusted lawyers in the country. They have the most lay prestige outside of NYC (see: #1 firm ranking out of all fortune 500 CEOs). If M&A, they offer top finance exit options; and lastly, that have a gym in Times Square. Ballin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:44 am

I never thought it was the best idea to discuss "exit options" during a callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Of all the callbacks that I did, Skadden seemed to be the one most up-front about exit options. Associates I talked with said that the firm continues to be that way throughout your time there ----- instead of it just being an unspoken understanding like at most firms, Skadden seems willing to talk about it openly and help you think about what your next career move should be.

At least that was the vibe I got during my callback. And I figure if they are going to talk about it during callbacks, they'd be willing to do so when you're actually there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:53 pm

I'll be at a Skadden office (not NYC) next summer. Of what I remember, I talked about (in this order): practice areas they are strong in that interest me, great diversity initiatives, great pro bono work (if these last couple of things matter to you). I don't think I really got asked why I was interested in Skadden during the interview (maybe it's just assumed?).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:28 pm

I asked a Skadden partner why he chose Skadden and he said, "because its Skadden." Maybe go with that. :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:04 am

Honestly it doesn't matter. Sure, practice areas and a bit of sucking up for a minute or two by referencing Skadden-specific facts are good to show you didn't just show up without doing your homework. But beyond that, you could talk about the weather for 20 minutes and you could be fine. With Skadden more than any other firm I felt like I was being interviewed for my ability to carry a conversation, interact with others, and act normal when nervous as all heck. I remember being asked political questions, questions about my hobbies (and follow up questions that carried on for a good 10 minutes), talking about current events, etc. Just be you, but the most outgoing, personable version of you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Because they are the most socially well adjusted lawyers in the country
This was definitely the impression I got from the LA office, and it is why I decided to go there. Normal people. And a few cool ones, even.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”