Fried Frank (NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Unless I'm missing it, Fried Frank does not get much love, let alone attention, on these forums. What are people's thoughts? They are one of the original Wall Street firms. Have they lost their luster?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:28 am

Their strength is real estate, so they understandably struggled in 2008-2010. However, the NYC real estate market is nearly as hot as it was in 2007 right now, so they have also become a lot busier. Of course, they have a lot of other corporate practices as well; those are pretty generic but still solid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:36 am

Also interested in this, as well as any thoughts people might have on Fried Frank relative to peer firms (ie Cadwalader, Milbank, Dewey, Willkie?)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:05 pm

bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:51 pm

I am accepting an offer there, and from what I know they have a huge real estate department, but are also very well established in the M&A and Capital Markets practices. Their Litigation department is solid, but overshadowed corporate and real estate. People there are very friendly, and the firm noticeably tries to develop its attorneys and make them happy.

I wonder if there is anyone who summered or just began that can chime in...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Unless I'm missing it, Fried Frank does not get much love, let alone attention, on these forums. What are people's thoughts? They are one of the original Wall Street firms. Have they lost their luster?


It's a solid firm, but not spectacular. Band 3 in Corporate/M&A and Band 3 in Commercial Litigation. Not particularly prestigious (V40 territory). I don't know why you're so surprised that it's not talked about on here more often. Not like firms such as Shearman and Willkie Farr get a lot of love/attention. Also like Shearman and Willkie, it's not really a multilocation firm in the sense that Latham or Kirkland or Skadden are.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unless I'm missing it, Fried Frank does not get much love, let alone attention, on these forums. What are people's thoughts? They are one of the original Wall Street firms. Have they lost their luster?


It's a solid firm, but not spectacular. Band 3 in Corporate/M&A and Band 3 in Commercial Litigation. Not particularly prestigious (V40 territory). I don't know why you're so surprised that it's not talked about on here more often. Not like firms such as Shearman and Willkie Farr get a lot of love/attention. Also like Shearman and Willkie, it's not really a multilocation firm in the sense that Latham or Kirkland or Skadden are.

its actually band 2 in litigation and also investment funds and securities -- so pretty good in those areas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unless I'm missing it, Fried Frank does not get much love, let alone attention, on these forums. What are people's thoughts? They are one of the original Wall Street firms. Have they lost their luster?


It's a solid firm, but not spectacular. Band 3 in Corporate/M&A and Band 3 in Commercial Litigation. Not particularly prestigious (V40 territory). I don't know why you're so surprised that it's not talked about on here more often. Not like firms such as Shearman and Willkie Farr get a lot of love/attention. Also like Shearman and Willkie, it's not really a multilocation firm in the sense that Latham or Kirkland or Skadden are.

its actually band 2 in litigation and also investment funds and securities -- so pretty good in those areas.


:?:

Look under the Chambers rankings for New York. Band 3. Which certainly isn't bad at all. However, the firm still is no SullCrom or Davis Polk or Cleary, so people aren't going to talk about it as much on here.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:20 am

They are one of the original Wall Street firms. Have they lost their luster?


They were, but they've lost a lot of their "classic" Wall Street lawyers to other firms over the years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
They are one of the original Wall Street firms. Have they lost their luster?


They were, but they've lost a lot of their "classic" Wall Street lawyers to other firms over the years.

how do u know this?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
They are one of the original Wall Street firms. Have they lost their luster?


They were, but they've lost a lot of their "classic" Wall Street lawyers to other firms over the years.

how do u know this?


Because many of those lawyers are no longer working at Fried Frank...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
They are one of the original Wall Street firms. Have they lost their luster?


They were, but they've lost a lot of their "classic" Wall Street lawyers to other firms over the years.

how do u know this?


Because many of those lawyers are no longer working at Fried Frank...

Thanks, genius. I think the question was geared more at something like "Well, I've been a lawyer for 20 years at a large firm so I have read about quite a few laterals out" or "I have been reading the New York Law Journal since I was 12." Most people on this site have no idea about the trends of laterals or the quality of people who left because we aren't practicing yet.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Most people on this site have no idea about the trends of laterals or the quality of people who left because we aren't practicing yet.


It's not that hard to know that "x" is a Wall Street lawyer legend and that "x" is no longer working at Fried Frank. It doesn't take a 20 year-old veteran to know that Joe Flom was a Wall Street lawyer legend, or that Marty Lipton is one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Most people on this site have no idea about the trends of laterals or the quality of people who left because we aren't practicing yet.


It's not that hard to know that "x" is a Wall Street lawyer legend and that "x" is no longer working at Fried Frank. It doesn't take a 20 year-old veteran to know that Joe Flom was a Wall Street lawyer legend, or that Marty Lipton is one.

Well, yea, but thats like saying it doesn't take a die hard golf fan to know who tiger woods is, but does the average person know who Simon Dyson is? No

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Most people on this site have no idea about the trends of laterals or the quality of people who left because we aren't practicing yet.


It's not that hard to know that "x" is a Wall Street lawyer legend and that "x" is no longer working at Fried Frank. It doesn't take a 20 year-old veteran to know that Joe Flom was a Wall Street lawyer legend, or that Marty Lipton is one.

Well, yea, but thats like saying it doesn't take a die hard golf fan to know who tiger woods is, but does the average person know who Simon Dyson is? No


Non sequitur of the century? I'll repeat: It's not that hard to know that "x" is a Wall Street lawyer legend and that "x" is no longer working at Fried Frank. Just google that shit yourself dumbass.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fried Frank (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:18 pm

While a bit of a puff piece, this article does a decent job of summarizing the firm's trajectory over the last few decades:

http://www.friedfrank.com/siteFiles/News/3C7474D1E470BC816D61946E4E9B19F4.pdf




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.