"I would accept an offer" question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"I would accept an offer" question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Warning: Derpy situation here.

During a CB, one of the partners asked me how I might rank her firm in terms of preference, compared to the other firms I've talked to. The way she asked it made it seem like it was a question they ask everyone, so don't read too much into the fact that she asked.

I was sort of taken aback by the question and answered it like, "Well, um, right now I'd have to say that this firm is my #1 choice." I fumbled badly, mostly because this firm is my #1 choice, and it made me all goofy to be asked the question, like if the girl you have a huge crush on asks, "So, do you think I'm hot?" I think I might have actually blushed.

It definitely didn't come across as enthusiastically as I would have liked. In retrospect, it might have come across as sort of insincere, especially because I added the "right now" modifier, like a moron.

So, it's been over a week since the CB and I feel like I should contact the recruiting coordinator and let him know that I would definitely accept an offer if they extended it. Here are my problems:

1) I already sent the recruiting coordinator a thank-you note about a week ago, so it's not like I can casually weave this into a thank-you message. (Sent thank-yous to the interviewing partners too)

2) One of the partners gave me the "it will be a couple of weeks before we get back to you- we still have lots of interviews to conduct" speech, so I feel weird about sending a "just checking in" kind of message. (i.e. they sort of already made it clear that they would get back to me, and it will be awhile.)

3) Since it's been a week since the CB, and since it's so late in the recruiting season, I'm concerned that they might think that I'm only saying I would definitely accept the offer because I ran out of other options. (I actually don't have other offers right now but I'm waiting on other CB's)

So, should I just leave it alone and not send them anything, or should I follow up with a message saying I would accept an offer- even though I already dweebishly told them that they were my #1?

Thanx doodz.

imchuckbass58

Re: "I would accept an offer" question

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 pm

Don't send anything, for the reasons you listed above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During a CB, one of the partners asked me how I might rank her firm in terms of preference, compared to the other firms I've talked to.

That's such a ridiculous question I don't even know what to say. Holy crap. Is she just trying to figure out who lies the best? (granted, there will be some people who honestly have it in their #1 spot, but just by the nature of the beast, the majority of people at any specific callback are not interviewing with their #1 firm)

Answer to question: Wait a couple weeks and then check in at the most. I probably wouldn't even do this. Frankly, you missed the chance to really tell the firm you loved them when asked about firm preference and you missed the chance when you decided not to mention it in a thank-you note. We are oh for two here. A third mistake isn't going to do much to erase those previous two and might just seal the deal on a rejection.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Frankly, you missed the chance to really tell the firm you loved them when asked about firm preference and you missed the chance when you decided not to mention it in a thank-you note. We are oh for two here. A third mistake isn't going to do much to erase those previous two and might just seal the deal on a rejection.

Exactly.

OP, you whiffed. Strike three. Back to the dugout you go. But don't despair, for there will be other at-bats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:55 pm

OP here. I kept starting to write emails to the recruiting dude but it kept feeling so... wrong. You guys just verified that my feeling was correct. Thanks!

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I kept starting to write emails to the recruiting dude but it kept feeling so... wrong. You guys just verified that my feeling was correct. Thanks!

It's probably not as bad as you think. Who knows if the other interviewees came across completely disingenuous in their responses to the same question?! Keep your head up and hope for the best. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”