Legal Employment Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cogitoergosum

Legal Employment Question

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:18 pm

I have heard most people in biglaw either make partner track or are let go within 6(ish) years, is this right? If so, what are the ongoing career prospects for people with JD's from t-15 schools, high class rank, etc?

I know the shpiel about how bad the job market is etc, but for people who DO get a biglaw offer, are they hoping to make the most of their 4-6 years, pay off loans, and move into a in-house counsel thing, or to they just keep lateraling between firms for 4-6 years at a time or... ?

Anonymous User

Re: Legal Employment Question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:23 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:I have heard most people in biglaw either make partner track or are let go within 6(ish) years, is this right? If so, what are the ongoing career prospects for people with JD's from t-15 schools, high class rank, etc?

I know the shpiel about how bad the job market is etc, but for people who DO get a biglaw offer, are they hoping to make the most of their 4-6 years, pay off loans, and move into a in-house counsel thing, or to they just keep lateraling between firms for 4-6 years at a time or... ?

Some people don't wanna stay in Biglaw past 6-7 years. There is really no general answer to this. Some people go in-house, government, public interest, another firm (unusual I think unless you're getting partner)... ect.

Return to “Legal Employment”