Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby 071816 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was just wondering how people made out in terms of getting the firms that they wanted or whether they were dinged. I'll start it off...

The firm I wanted was Williams & Connolly. Got dinged after the callback.

I had to settle for Wilmer DC.


Image

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Firm your going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:11 pm

kwais wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here

WOW!

I didn't expect things to go like this. I wasn't trying to be a douche or anything. Just wanted to see if others out there had more luck getting the jobs they wanted.

Excuse me for being ambitious.


Straw man is made of straw


Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1QI4P0Y ... re=related

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby kaiser » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Next Christmas, I'm gonna make a thread about how I really wanted a Mercedes, but I had to settle for a BMW.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Firm your going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:20 pm

meshtdagn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here

WOW!

I didn't expect things to go like this. I wasn't trying to be a douche or anything. Just wanted to see if others out there had more luck getting the jobs they wanted.

Excuse me for being ambitious.


You are why people hate lawyers.

EDIT: Douches don't try. They just are.

+1, very well said.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm your going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:40 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:I hope you realize that while feeling depressed about not getting that super elite, selective firm and "settling" for some other V5 or V10 is perfectly normal, creating a thread to "lament" and brag about it in public...is pretty damned douchey.



Come on bro, Wilmer DC and W&C aren't even V10, you've got to feel bad that he dropped to a V20...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Got my top choice: the best NLJ250 in my small market. Chose it over Skadden/DPW/STB/Cleary/MoFo. Does this make me the anti-douche?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my top choice: the best NLJ250 in my small market. Chose it over Skadden/DPW/STB/Cleary/MoFo. Does this make me the anti-douche?


No, but posting this make you a douche.




Douche.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my top choice: the best NLJ250 in my small market. Chose it over Skadden/DPW/STB/Cleary/MoFo. Does this make me the anti-douche?


No, you're still a douche for telling people that you turned down Skadden/DPW/STB/Cleary/MoFo for your NLJ250. How often are you going to tell your coworkers about your sacrifice?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got my top choice: the best NLJ250 in my small market. Chose it over Skadden/DPW/STB/Cleary/MoFo. Does this make me the anti-douche?


No, you're still a douche for telling people that you turned down Skadden/DPW/STB/Cleary/MoFo for your NLJ250. How often are you going to tell your coworkers about your sacrifice?


Everyday. He'll probably note, with a serious face, how lucky they are.

User avatar
DOOM
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby DOOM » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my top choice: the best NLJ250 in my small market. Chose it over Skadden/DPW/STB/Cleary/MoFo. Does this make me the anti-douche?


this can't be serious.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my top choice: the best NLJ250 in my small market. Chose it over Skadden/DPW/STB/Cleary/MoFo. Does this make me the anti-douche?


douchenozzle

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was just wondering how people made out in terms of getting the firms that they wanted or whether they were dinged. I'll start it off...

The firm I wanted was Williams & Connolly. Got dinged after the callback.

I had to settle for Wilmer DC.


And to think I thought I was in bad shape having no offers at all to show for my 3.9x T1 grades. To think that there are people having to settle for Wilmer DC!

Don't listen to the h8erade, OP. I at least weep for you!

azntwice
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby azntwice » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:21 pm

omg guys... lay off the OP. come on. just because you are all bitter about not getting jobs doesn't mean that other people can't complain about their personal situations. seriously. don't read if all you're going to do is hate. perhaps OP could have chosen a better place to complain, but you guys are the reason why most people hate law students: sarcastic, angry and neurotic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:22 pm

azntwice wrote:omg guys... lay off the OP. come on. just because you are all bitter about not getting jobs doesn't mean that other people can't complain about their personal situations. seriously. don't read if all you're going to do is hate. perhaps OP could have chosen a better place to complain, but you guys are the reason why most people hate law students: sarcastic, angry and neurotic.


False. Have good job and still think OP sucks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Wanted Wachtell, but settled with having to pick from the rest of the V10 sans Weil and KE.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:24 pm

azntwice wrote:omg guys... lay off the OP. come on. just because you are all bitter about not getting jobs doesn't mean that other people can't complain about their personal situations. seriously. don't read if all you're going to do is hate. perhaps OP could have chosen a better place to complain, but you guys are the reason why most people hate law students: sarcastic, angry and neurotic.


I'm in essentially the same situation job-wise as OP, and I still think he is a douche. Its not bitterness at all. Its objectively calling out a douche on his douchiness.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:25 pm

azntwice wrote:omg guys... lay off the OP. come on. just because you are all bitter about not getting jobs doesn't mean that other people can't complain about their personal situations. seriously. don't read if all you're going to do is hate. perhaps OP could have chosen a better place to complain, but you guys are the reason why most people hate law students: sarcastic, angry and neurotic.

That I think OP is a douchetruck has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I have a job lined up.

azntwice
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby azntwice » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:25 pm

retaliating with equal self-righteousness does not make anyone less douchy.

/involvement in thread.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
azntwice wrote:omg guys... lay off the OP. come on. just because you are all bitter about not getting jobs doesn't mean that other people can't complain about their personal situations. seriously. don't read if all you're going to do is hate. perhaps OP could have chosen a better place to complain, but you guys are the reason why most people hate law students: sarcastic, angry and neurotic.


False. Have good job and still think OP sucks.


+1.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:26 pm

We are all douches. But OP is just more douchey than most.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:26 pm

azntwice wrote:retaliating with equal self-righteousness does not make anyone less douchy.

/involvement in thread.

This is Alanis Morissette ironic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Wanted anything, got mcdonalds

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Firm your going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby rayiner » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Why should someone who is objectively successful be prevented from being ambitious, or expressing a certain level of disappointment with not satisfying that ambition?


I think the ridicule is more aimed at the tiny, pink, measures of success and ambition.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was going to do PI but I decided to settle for a v15 firm offer instead. oh well, at least I can enjoy the extra cash. suck it, unemployeds!


I lol'ed.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Firm you're going to vs. firm that you wanted

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:49 pm

For a second I thought, "No way does someone like this exist."

Then I remembered some of the people in my law school class who are like this, or arguably worse.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.