DPW v. Cleary v. Debevoise v. Sullcrom for NY Corporate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which?

DPW
45%
Cleary
5%
Debevoise
23%
Sullcrom
28%

Total votes: 40

Anonymous User

DPW v. Cleary v. Debevoise v. Sullcrom for NY Corporate

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:05 am

I know there have been several of these lately, but who doesn't love a poll?

I am definitely interested in corporate work, most likely capital markets or one of the smaller practices (tax, benefits, real estate, trusts & estates, etc.). I do not aspire to make partner - I see myself going in house at some point probably. Firm culture is very important to me - I am looking for somewhere of the quirky/"nice"/nerdy variety. I had really high hopes for Cleary based on these criteria, but didn't feel like I clicked with anyone there - everyone I met with seemed very intense. Did anyone else get that sense? My favorite place culture-wise was Debevoise, but I don't think its corporate practice is in the same tier as the others' (though I'm not sure how much this matters for exit options). Sullcrom's intense reputation worries me. Most people I met there were quite nice, but I'm afraid that working there would be far less pleasant than the other three. Finally, DPW seems like it might offer the best overall package (minus the "quirky") but I felt like the office was pretty waspy and I wonder how well I'd fit in. (Again, did anyone have a different impression?)

Thanks in advance for any/all insight!

Anonymous User

Re: DPW v. Cleary v. Debevoise v. Sullcrom for NY Corporate

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:46 am

DPW is kind of WASP-y, no doubt. However, there are other cultural strains in the firm. The New Managing Partner and a lot of prominent corporate partners are not from the US. Because the booming Asia practice, there are prominent Asian partners. So the WASP-iness doesn't end up being exclusionary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 am

I had a similarly great experience interviewing with Debevoise, and while there are some major differences I think DPW has a lot in common with them, culture-wise. With respect to practice areas, my impression isn't so much that Deb is a notch below, they're just significantly more niche-y: great in private company m&a, great in insurance related work, e.g., but they doesn't have the same reputation across a broad range of corporate practices.

Don't know much about specialty practices at all the firms, but FWIW, DPW has top ranked practices in tax, environmental, & erisa, as well as being THE Dodd-Frank experts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:03 pm

If you were just generally interested in corporate I would say Debevoise. They are strong in several corporate areas and being in one of those groups would not lead to noticeably worse exit options than at a place like S&C/DPW. But, the fact that you are interested in capital markets probably makes DPW your best choice. Everyone voting for S&C is likely just going by vault rankings, I don't think there's a good argument for picking S&C here.

*Grammar edit
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know there have been several of these lately, but who doesn't love a poll?

I am definitely interested in corporate work, most likely capital markets or one of the smaller practices (tax, benefits, real estate, trusts & estates, etc.). I do not aspire to make partner - I see myself going in house at some point probably. Firm culture is very important to me - I am looking for somewhere of the quirky/"nice"/nerdy variety. I had really high hopes for Cleary based on these criteria, but didn't feel like I clicked with anyone there - everyone I met with seemed very intense. Did anyone else get that sense? My favorite place culture-wise was Debevoise, but I don't think its corporate practice is in the same tier as the others' (though I'm not sure how much this matters for exit options). Sullcrom's intense reputation worries me. Most people I met there were quite nice, but I'm afraid that working there would be far less pleasant than the other three. Finally, DPW seems like it might offer the best overall package (minus the "quirky") but I felt like the office was pretty waspy and I wonder how well I'd fit in. (Again, did anyone have a different impression?)

Thanks in advance for any/all insight!
I had almost the EXACT same choices as you (throw in 1-2 other firms) but with slightly different criteria (I didn't want a quirky place and really liked the polished, professional feel of DPW). But I did want a strong capital markets and corporate practice and the potential to go in-house at a financial institution someday.

I'm a bit of a prestige whore also, so S&C definitely had me thinking hard for a while, but I ended up choosing DPW and am very happy with my selection. Sullcrom felt a bit stuffy, and the location really turned me off. I also loved Debevoise people... probably just as much if not moreso than the DPW people I met. At the end of the day DPW is the stronger firm than Debevoise in almost every category I cared about (including geographically outside NY). I didn't like the Cleary people at all. Don't know what "quirkiness" means really, but I definitely didn't click with them. Awkward conversations all around.

Good luck with your decision--you can't go wrong with these amazing options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:46 pm

This should be between DPW and Debevoise. DPW is stronger in capital markets, but it sounds like you fit slightly better at Debevoise. Decide which factor is more important to you.

S&C should not be on the table here. It's cap markets practice isn't as good as DPW, and it sounds like you didn't like the culture as much as either Debevoise or DPW. Same with Cleary - its cap markets practice is top notch, but sounds like you didn't feel like you fit.

Also agree with this completely:
Anonymous User wrote:With respect to practice areas, my impression isn't so much that Deb is a notch below, they're just significantly more niche-y: great in private company m&a, great in insurance related work, e.g., but they doesn't have the same reputation across a broad range of corporate practices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 pm

OP here - I really appreciate all the replies so far. I am curious to hear from those who voted for S&C - was this merely informed by the Vault or do you really think the S&C name carries more weight than, say, the DPW name? FWIW I am not necessarily interested in going in house at a bank - any public company would do.

Also, I should have been more careful about what I said about Debevoise's corporate group. The poster above was exactly right that their practice is just different, not worse. But, from my perspective it is different in a bad way because it focuses on areas I'm not as interested in.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:42 pm

lol @ "DPW for positive firm culture."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:09 am

MrKappus wrote:lol @ "DPW for positive firm culture."
go on...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:30 pm

lol wow... cleary stock has really fallen on TLS this year...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”