What is 3L OCI and how do I avoid blowing it? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
meshtdagn

New

Re: What is 3L OCI and how do I avoid blowing it?

Post by meshtdagn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:45 am

OP, your questions strongly imply that you still "can't believe" what people ITT are saying. It's time to wake up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:57 am

prawnstar wrote:3L at a lower ranked V10. Did 3L ocip and got 2 big law offers and accepted 1. As far as I know I am the only 3L from my school who got a big law offer from 3L ocip. I worked at a high end boutique that has a national reputation my 2L summer and specialized in a practice area that is in demand now. Everything in my resume is also geared toward that practice area.

Hope that helps.
A boutique is probably one of the only non-SAs that wouldn't leave you dead in the water. Although I wouldn't even characterize it as a non-SA, really.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
prawnstar wrote:3L at a lower ranked V10. Did 3L ocip and got 2 big law offers and accepted 1. As far as I know I am the only 3L from my school who got a big law offer from 3L ocip. I worked at a high end boutique that has a national reputation my 2L summer and specialized in a practice area that is in demand now. Everything in my resume is also geared toward that practice area.

Hope that helps.
A boutique is probably one of the only non-SAs that wouldn't leave you dead in the water. Although I wouldn't even characterize it as a non-SA, really.
i'm confused here...are you implying that the only "real" SA positions that will make an applicant competitive for 3L OCI are those with vault-ranked firms? that strikes me as a little ridiculous, frankly..

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 pm

With all due respect to lawfirmrecruiter (who is one of the most valuable resources on all of TLS), I don't think his/her firm's strategy is very common, and I have not seen any firms moving towards it. As someone already mentioned ITT, I don't think any v100s are adopting the 3L hiring model, and I don't know of a single firm in any of the markets I applied to who are doing so.

OP, if you strike out this fall, you either need to hope to go the clerkship --> biglaw route or just come to grips with the fact that you aren't getting biglaw. You can always try 3L OCI, but the odds are almost nil. I talked to a few folks in our CSO and a few 3Ls and none of them suggested that 3L OCI is really a possibility without a 2L SA, which seems to be the experience of every 3L and graduate on TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”