Help me pick a firm!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which should I pick?

Proskauer (NJ)
37%
Dechert (NY)
33%
Cadwalader
30%

Total votes: 54

Anonymous User

Re: Help me pick a firm!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:12 pm

What did you think of Dechert and Cadw. office culture?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What did you think of Dechert and Cadw. office culture?

Dechert seemed very friendly. Everyone seemed to say that they really look for people who are friendly and would mesh well. They also have an upward review system where associates get to formally review partners. This helps weed out assholes and screamers who get bad upward reviews (though no system could completely weed them all out). As for Cadwalader, I'm a bit more torn. Some people were super nice, while others essentially told me that the culture is one in which neither the firm nor the attorneys have any long-term loyalty, and that both abide by a mutual understanding that each is using the other for some purpose as a way of getting to the next step. It was sort of odd that he was describing it in this way, but I appreciated his honesty. But Proskauer had a 40 person office where I immediately felt welcome and all my interactions with everyone were positive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Depending where you go to law school, you could visit them again, and then decide. To comment on L & E issue, I have heard that many law students think that they will work in a certain area of law, and then switch when they actually work on the area. What are the reasons that you really want to work in L & E?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Depending where you go to law school, you could visit them again, and then decide. To comment on L & E issue, I have heard that many law students think that they will work in a certain area of law, and then switch when they actually work on the area. What are the reasons that you really want to work in L & E?

I find that the issues are very understandable and relatable. They are human-based problems that involve very personal accusations, emotions, etc. That makes L&E relatively unique among large firm practice areas, which do not have the same human connection. The factual situations seem like they are very interesting. My first year writing instructor was a L&E lawyer so all our prompts were based in that area of law, and I was very interested in the substance it.

But at the same time, I don't know what a copyright assignment would be like, or a real estate assignment, etc. You are right that many people change, and I am certainly open to that possibility. I think I will try and get in touch with some people at the Newark office and find out how they made this decision, and how they "knew" in advance whether L&E law was for them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Anyone else considering going to a firm or office that only has one specialty area of practice? If so, what led you to that decision? Back to square one now that the poll is tied.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:lol it sounds like you decided on NJ. Seriously its probably closer to you anyways just go there. It's going to be the same shit. You're gonna work for the 160k salary doing similar shit to every other associate in the country.

Dude, this is NOT an issue of NJ vs. NY. People keep talking about it as if thats what I'm asking about. It isn't the "same shit" at all. Proskauer's NJ office ONLY does labor and employment law. I am prospectively interested in this area, but I don't know whether or not it is wise to choose an area and be stuck to it before I even start my legal career. That is the issue here. NY vs. NJ and everything related to that discussion (quality of work in NJ, exit options based on geography, etc.) is entirely aside from the point. I was just looking for feedback regarding whether people think its a good idea to keep the options more open, and perhaps seek out a firm that has L&E, but would allow me to explore beyond that. The complicated wrinkle in the story is that I loved the environment of Proskauer's office, and could totally see myself there. I'm just not sure whether this should outweigh the fact that I would be precluding myself from anything that isn't L&E related.

As for in house exit options, I'd imagine they would be good from any of these choices, and probably the best out of Proskauer, since I would ONLY be doing L&E law. Being an expert in L&E law would seem like a very wise path to an in-house position.

Go to Dechert and try labor law there. You say you are not trying to be stuck and if you go to Proskauer and don't like it, you will be stuck going forward trying to explain to other employers why you started in an office known only for one field. At least at Dechert you can move into other practices at other firms without having to make that explanation. Also, all firms are alike. Yes Proskauer's is smaller, but it will be the same hours, the same square footage, etc and you can find good people at any office if you look for them and are personable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm

New wrinkle in the tale is that Dechert's NY office doesn't seem to really do their labor and employment work. Looks like that department is located almost exclusively in Philly. Still waiting on Jones Day, Akin Gump, and Paul Hastings, which I'm guessing would be the clear favorite in the poll if any come through with offers (NY location, strong employment practice, but all strong in other areas).

So I guess now the debate comes down to:

Proskauer
--Loved the people and office environment
--Could totally see myself doing labor and employment
--But wouldn't be able to do anything else

Dechert
--Can try out lots of different areas within litigation
--But can't do the one area I'm most interested in
--Office environment seemed good, but def not as good as the 40-person Proskauer office

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:22 pm

Why labor and employment?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Renzo wrote:Why labor and employment?

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I really like the human element to it. I can understand the issues and find myself very easily enthused by them. They boil down to real human issues and emotions in many cases, which is exceedingly rare in the large firm environment. I will never care about tax or securities and couldn't see myself doing something so disconnected from real human beings and their problems.

I also had a labor and employment lawyer as a 1L writing instructor, so every prompt was something involving employment law. I It was a dual track of learning, since I was developing my writing skills, but also digging into some very interesting employment law questions involving sexual harassment, drug testing policies, etc. And all my work experience involves direct client interaction, so I would really like something with such a human element. I opened up my own business and had to deal with these sorts of issues on a daily basis, and even found them interesting back then. Thats really what interested me in this area.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:Why labor and employment?

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I really like the human element to it. I can understand the issues and find myself very easily enthused by them. They boil down to real human issues and emotions in many cases, which is exceedingly rare in the large firm environment. I will never care about tax or securities and couldn't see myself doing something so disconnected from real human beings and their problems.

I also had a labor and employment lawyer as a 1L writing instructor, so every prompt was something involving employment law. I It was a dual track of learning, since I was developing my writing skills, but also digging into some very interesting employment law questions involving sexual harassment, drug testing policies, etc. And all my work experience involves direct client interaction, so I would really like something with such a human element. I opened up my own business and had to deal with these sorts of issues on a daily basis, and even found them interesting back then. Thats really what interested me in this area.

Fair enough. Go to New Jersey and do that, then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm not sure how to edit the original poll since I created it anonymously, but I was just made an offer by Jones Day NY, which has a strong labor and employment practice, but is obviously strong in a number of different areas as well. Does this sound like the right middle-ground between Proskauer NJ (all labor and employment), and Dechert (can do lots of kinds of lit, but no labor and employment in NY office)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Go to Jones Day. Different level of firm from your other options that will give better exit-options and still let you explore labor.

Congratulations!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Go to Jones Day. Different level of firm from your other options that will give better exit-options and still let you explore labor.

Congratulations!

Thanks. Only other pending decision is Paul Hastings, but overall this recent offer from Jones Day makes the choice a bit easier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Jones Day, far and away. Way to go.

Return to “Legal Employment”