Help me pick a firm! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which should I pick?

Proskauer (NJ)
37%
Dechert (NY)
33%
Cadwalader
30%

Total votes: 54

Anonymous User

Help me pick a firm!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Still waiting on CB results from some high choices (Kirkland & Jones Day), but assuming nothing else comes through, I was looking for your perspective. I am prospectively interested in labor and employment law, but I would also be ok in general litigation. Also, I am entirely fine practicing in either NY or NJ (I'm an NJ native).

Proskauer's NJ office solely handles L&E matters. The office is about 40 people, so the atmosphere was very chill, I really liked the people, and I felt very comfortable there. It seemed like the best of both words (chill environment, but you still get top-notch work with huge clients). But my conundrum is this: some people have been telling me that they advise against going to a place where I am restricted to just one area of law. They said no 2L could possibly know with such certainty that they want one area. They said I should pick a place with a strong L&E practice, but in a place where I can do other things

Dechert and Cadwalader are obviously both very good in litigation. I liked the atmosphere at Dechert more than I did at Cadwalader, but I would give both due consideration. If Jones Day comes through, I think that might be a good middleground since it is strong in L&E, but also strong in a number of areas. But until I get an offer, I'm not saying its an option. So I was just looking for your feedback on things I should consider, opinions, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: Help me pick a firm!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:03 pm

Anyone care to elaborate a bit on the reasoning for their votes? I'm not sure what other factors to even consider at this point.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:43 pm

both dechert and cadwalader have bad reps for their culture. Hence I picked option #3.
But I would take kirkland or JD before any of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:53 pm

adameus wrote:both dechert and cadwalader have bad reps for their culture. Hence I picked option #3.
But I would take kirkland or JD before any of them.
So you are of the opinion that its not a good idea to specialize in one area even though that office gave me by far the best vibe?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:01 pm

You really don't mind living in Newark long term?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 pm

quiver wrote:You really don't mind living in Newark long term?
Newark's rap is somewhat undeserved, but quoted question is aside the point. Proskauer's office is right next to the gateway buildings and adjacent to Penn Station and the Path. It's very easy to get to without going to Central/South Newark where more of the problems are located.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:09 pm

quiver wrote:You really don't mind living in Newark long term?
I would never actually "live" in Newark. No one who works there lives in that place (or at least very few). Most people live in the nicer suburbs, or in the Jersey City area, which is pretty much an extension of NY, and a bunch of young professionals live there. Proskauer is a block from the train station in Newark, so there is very little exposure to Newark itself. I currently live in Jersey City, and that would be the case whether I commute to NY (20 min) or Newark (15 min), so location is somewhat of a moot point for all intents and purposes.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would never actually "live" in Newark. No one who works there lives in that place (or at least very few). Most people live in the nicer suburbs, or in the Jersey City area, which is pretty much an extension of NY, and a bunch of young professionals live there. Proskauer is a block from the train station in Newark, so there is very little exposure to Newark itself. I currently live in Jersey City, and that would be the case whether I commute to NY (20 min) or Newark (15 min), so location is somewhat of a moot point for all intents and purposes.
That's a good option.
Anonymous User wrote:Newark's rap is somewhat undeserved, but quoted question is aside the point. Proskauer's office is right next to the gateway buildings and adjacent to Penn Station and the Path. It's very easy to get to without going to Central/South Newark where more of the problems are located
I'm well aware. I lived in Newark. Emphasis on somewhat undeserved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:31 pm

On a sidenote, does anyone know what the typical salary progression is for a satellite office? Proskauer's NJ office starts at 145, but I'm curious whether secondary markets typically follow a lockstep model, as the NY office does.

And I guess this is getting interesting now that 1 and 2 are pretty much tied. Actual feedback would be even more valuable now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Newark's rap is somewhat undeserved, but quoted question is aside the point. Proskauer's office is right next to the gateway buildings and adjacent to Penn Station and the Path. It's very easy to get to without going to Central/South Newark where more of the problems are located
I'm well aware. I lived in Newark. Emphasis on somewhat undeserved.[/quote]

Haha, fair enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Just bumping this back up since the results are so close. I'd really appreciate any explanation or reasoning that you can offer behind your decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:15 pm

And is anyone else considering going to an office or firm that only handles one particular area of law? How did you "know" that this area was right for you? Did anyone go that route and regret the decision? What considerations did you look into before making the decision?

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:33 pm

You can either live in NJ or NY. Easy decision.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Eco wrote:You can either live in NJ or NY. Easy decision.
Not sure what you mean. This is an indifferent point to me, as I live directly in between NY and Newark. I'm not choosing between 2 possible locales in which to live. I live in Jersey City, which is equally accessible to both Newark and New York, and thus makes geography a moot point in this discussion. I'm not picking between living in one place over another.

I certainly hope the votes so far aren't based on "NY vs. NJ" preference because that isn't a factor here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:17 pm

If you end up working full time for an NY firm you're going to move to the city. Then you will live a life of wonder and fulfillment. NJ is a cesspool.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you end up working full time for an NY firm you're going to move to the city. Then you will live a life of wonder and fulfillment. NJ is a cesspool.
So you are really going to ignore my point and make arguments that are irrelevant to this decision? I have lived in NJ for my entire life and I always enjoyed it here. I don't like it any more or any less than NY. And no, I know a ton of people who have worked in NY for years who live on the NJ side in Jersey City, Hoboken, areas, or just commute in via train from a bit further.

Again, this is NOT the point of discussion, and has nothing to do with the bind I'm in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Isn't working at NY big law much better for your legal career than working at NJ big firm, considering exit options etc.?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isn't working at NY big law much better for your legal career than working at NJ big firm, considering exit options etc.?
Proskauer isn't an NJ big firm. It is an international NY-based firm that has an office in NJ. I'm not comparing an NJ firm with an NY firm. Your point is certainly noted, as I originally had offers from some NJ large firms, but turned them down since I wanted to work for a larger NY-based firm with bigger clients, more sophisticated work, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:45 pm

But, isn't there a Proskauer office in NYC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:But, isn't there a Proskauer office in NYC?
Yes, but I never managed to line up an interview there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:52 pm

So there is no difference in work quality from NJ Proskauer and NY Dechert/Cadw.?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So there is no difference in work quality from NJ Proskauer and NY Dechert/Cadw.?
None. Proskauer's NJ office handles L&E matters for their biggest clients (the biggest banks, all 4 major sports leagues, huge retailers, etc.) alongside the NY office. The NJ office works pretty seamlessly with the NY office. And I'd imagine that Proskauer's work quality/sophistication is comparable to that of Dechert and Cadwalader. So I don't think there is any difference in work quality, since the NJ office is really just an extension of what goes on in NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:59 pm

lol it sounds like you decided on NJ. Seriously its probably closer to you anyways just go there. It's going to be the same shit. You're gonna work for the 160k salary doing similar shit to every other associate in the country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:01 pm

What about exit options, if you want to work in-house at a prestigious NYC firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lol it sounds like you decided on NJ. Seriously its probably closer to you anyways just go there. It's going to be the same shit. You're gonna work for the 160k salary doing similar shit to every other associate in the country.
Dude, this is NOT an issue of NJ vs. NY. People keep talking about it as if thats what I'm asking about. It isn't the "same shit" at all. Proskauer's NJ office ONLY does labor and employment law. I am prospectively interested in this area, but I don't know whether or not it is wise to choose an area and be stuck to it before I even start my legal career. That is the issue here. NY vs. NJ and everything related to that discussion (quality of work in NJ, exit options based on geography, etc.) is entirely aside from the point. I was just looking for feedback regarding whether people think its a good idea to keep the options more open, and perhaps seek out a firm that has L&E, but would allow me to explore beyond that. The complicated wrinkle in the story is that I loved the environment of Proskauer's office, and could totally see myself there. I'm just not sure whether this should outweigh the fact that I would be precluding myself from anything that isn't L&E related.

As for in house exit options, I'd imagine they would be good from any of these choices, and probably the best out of Proskauer, since I would ONLY be doing L&E law. Being an expert in L&E law would seem like a very wise path to an in-house position.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”