Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Quinn Emanuel or Kirkland?

Quinn Emanuel
39
50%
Kirkland
39
50%
 
Total votes: 78

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:19 pm

and pays more (bigger bonii).


Bonuses are bigger at Kirkland.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:36 pm

You'll work less at K&E. Believe it, or not, it's true.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do the bonuses differ? Does Kirkland pay more?


Quinn pays substantially more than the Cravath scale. I don't know what that is, but they also have a profit share option. I think this would mean they pay more.

I am only going by what I've read on this forum, but if is mostly true, then Kirkland doesn't appear to offer anything that you couldn't get at Quinn. The minute difference in prestige is insignificant to me personally (as would be a much bigger difference of prestige actually). Meanwhile, Quinn is hip, has no dress code, cultivates this insurgent/outsider image, and pays more (bigger bonii). How is this even a choice?


Some people (myself included) find Quinn's attitude/culture very offputting. I had an offer from the NY office but turned it down because I actively disliked most of the people I met while interviewing. It's a culture that prides being competitive, aggressive, and basically a dick to adversaries, and tolerates the same towards each other. Granted, this makes for good litigators, but it seems like it would make for a very unpleasant place to work. There are lots of other firms with equally tough litigators that are much more pleasant places to work.

I am sure this is a matter of personal preference, and there are obviously people who love Quinn. But if you are not prepared for and ok with that type of culture, it could be an absolutely miserable place to work.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby bceagles182 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:45 pm

There si a clear distinction between the two so I don't know why you're asking us. Either you want plaintiff-side litigation/to work with trial lawyers or you don't

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:47 pm

bceagles182 wrote:There si a clear distinction between the two so I don't know why you're asking us. Either you want plaintiff-side litigation/to work with trial lawyers or you don't


The notion that K&E doesn't have trial lawyers is laughable.

It's hilarious how many falsities about both firms are being spouted off in this thread as if they're fact.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:There si a clear distinction between the two so I don't know why you're asking us. Either you want plaintiff-side litigation/to work with trial lawyers or you don't


The notion that K&E doesn't have trial lawyers is laughable.

It's hilarious how many falsities about both firms are being spouted off in this thread as if they're fact.

VERY true. Having interviewed with, received offers from, and revisited both firms, I can say with confidence that most of the "statements" made in this thread (and most others) are simply false. The only truth that stands out is that an attorney at either one of these firms will work extremely hard.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:There si a clear distinction between the two so I don't know why you're asking us. Either you want plaintiff-side litigation/to work with trial lawyers or you don't


The notion that K&E doesn't have trial lawyers is laughable.

It's hilarious how many falsities about both firms are being spouted off in this thread as if they're fact.

VERY true. Having interviewed with, received offers from, and revisited both firms, I can say with confidence that most of the "statements" made in this thread (and most others) are simply false. The only truth that stands out is that an attorney at either one of these firms will work extremely hard.


This whole forum is ridiculously misinformed about nearly everything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:There si a clear distinction between the two so I don't know why you're asking us. Either you want plaintiff-side litigation/to work with trial lawyers or you don't


The notion that K&E doesn't have trial lawyers is laughable.

It's hilarious how many falsities about both firms are being spouted off in this thread as if they're fact.

VERY true. Having interviewed with, received offers from, and revisited both firms, I can say with confidence that most of the "statements" made in this thread (and most others) are simply false. The only truth that stands out is that an attorney at either one of these firms will work extremely hard.


This whole forum is ridiculously misinformed about nearly everything.


Well, this year Quinn, K&E, and Cravath are the targets of ire, so when you get 2 of the 3 into one thread it's a shootout between which two posters irrationally dislike more.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:38 pm

Go where you like the people the best. Seriously.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:02 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
and pays more (bigger bonii).


Bonuses are bigger at Kirkland.

how big of a difference are the bonuses?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
and pays more (bigger bonii).


Bonuses are bigger at Kirkland.

how big of a difference are the bonuses?


MARKET SHATTERING.

seriously though, apparently K&E claimed that they didn't pay spring bonuses b/c other firms only issued spring bonuses to match K&E's year end bonuses. but then they also claimed that it was because they gave out a bar stipend. either way, i've heard K&E pays bigger bonuses than any other firm besides wachtell - i read on XOXO that someone got double market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
and pays more (bigger bonii).


Bonuses are bigger at Kirkland.

how big of a difference are the bonuses?


MARKET SHATTERING.

seriously though, apparently K&E claimed that they didn't pay spring bonuses b/c other firms only issued spring bonuses to match K&E's year end bonuses. but then they also claimed that it was because they gave out a bar stipend. either way, i've heard K&E pays bigger bonuses than any other firm besides wachtell - i read on XOXO that someone got double market?


K&E paid spring bonuses to everyone except first-years and incoming clerks. In terms of who received what, generally the 2,100-2,200 range was enough for double-market; in absolute numbers, over half of associates received more than double-market. At the higher end, people received triple- to quadruple-market.

Edit: And I'm not even factoring non-equity partners, who took home a significant chunk of change.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:57 pm

i was deciding between the same two firms a week ago and decided on k&e. i simply did not click with anyone at quinn. on top of that, the dumpy office really turned me off to it. i know that shouldn't be a huge factor, but you're going to be spending a ton of time there. the exposed pipes, cramped spaces, and poorly lit hallways made me feel like i was in the steerage section of the titanic.

i hit it off with every attorney i met at k&e during screener/cb/second look. sure you'll work hard, but i'd rather be with fun, social people than the weird personalities at qe.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:09 pm

the exposed pipes, cramped spaces, and poorly lit hallways made me feel like i was in the steerage section of the titanic.


SHUT UP MAN! IT'S HIP!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
the exposed pipes, cramped spaces, and poorly lit hallways made me feel like i was in the steerage section of the titanic.


SHUT UP MAN! IT'S HIP!


when explaining the dress code, john quinn has stated that one reason is if you're going to be working hard you might as well be wearing something comfortable.

being crammed into a tiny, depressing office with another associate is not comfortable to me. i'd rather be in business casual and in my own cushy office at k&e.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:31 pm

I would say Kirkland. I'm basing that on the brownies they sent me alone. Those brownies are FANTASTIC.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Renne Walker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:01 pm

This is a timely thread, it serves as a great carrot to this 1L. The Quinn [Prize] Package certainly is incentive to keep the books open. Glad to see that 50% of their [475] attorneys are from T-10 schools (63% from T-14 schools). And yes, Harvard is the leader of the pack (NYU #2) but surprisingly, Yale, not so much.
Last edited by Renne Walker on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:37 pm

I got brownies too. I'm debating between K&E Chicago or Quinn NYC. Which office space is nicer? lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got brownies too. I'm debating between K&E Chicago or Quinn NYC. Which office space is nicer? lol


Quinn NYC is a dump. The slimebag solo practitioner that expunged my [blank] had a more impressive office.

azntwice
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby azntwice » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:50 am

Renne Walker wrote:This is a timely thread, it serves as a great carrot to this 1L. The Quinn [Prize] Package certainly is incentive to keep the books open. Glad to see that 50% of their [475] attorneys are from T-10 schools (63% from T-14 schools). And yes, Harvard is the leader of the pack (NYU #2) but surprisingly, Yale, not so much.


not surprising at all. yale kiddies tend to go into academia or government work. and there's fewer of them to start out with anyway.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Renne Walker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:39 pm

azntwice wrote:yale kiddies tend to go into academia or government work. and there's fewer of them to start out with anyway.

Good point.
Chart on Left for Quinn. Right for Kirkland.
Attorneys | % of T-14 | % of Firm

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Renne Walker on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
azntwice wrote:yale kiddies tend to go into academia or government work. and there's fewer of them to start out with anyway.

Good point.
Chart on Left for Quinn. Right for Kirkland.
Associates | % of T-14 | % of Firm

--ImageRemoved--


That chart is not accurate. The leftmost column is # of attorneys, not # of associates.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Renne Walker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The leftmost column is # of attorneys, not # of associates.

Thanks. Changed it. While at it, added up all the T-14s at these two firms. Makes up nearly 60% of their hires.

--ImageRemoved--

The traditional T-6 made up 31% of their hires (whereas the top six schools accounted for 40%).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
azntwice wrote:yale kiddies tend to go into academia or government work. and there's fewer of them to start out with anyway.

Good point.
Chart on Left for Quinn. Right for Kirkland.
Attorneys | % of T-14 | % of Firm

--ImageRemoved--


Fordham guy here. Gotta plug the school whenever I can...

25 Fordham grads at K&E - one less than Penn and more than Duke, Yale, Berkeley, Cornell, Stanford, and Texas.

25 Fordham grads at Quinn - more than Mich, N'West, UVA, Yale, Texas, Chicago, Cornell, Duke, and Penn.

Not too shabby.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Down to Final Two: Quinn Emanuel VS. Kirkland Ellis.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:
azntwice wrote:yale kiddies tend to go into academia or government work. and there's fewer of them to start out with anyway.

Good point.
Chart on Left for Quinn. Right for Kirkland.
Attorneys | % of T-14 | % of Firm

--ImageRemoved--


Fordham guy here. Gotta plug the school whenever I can...

25 Fordham grads at K&E - one less than Penn and more than Duke, Yale, Berkeley, Cornell, Stanford, and Texas.

25 Fordham grads at Quinn - more than Mich, N'West, UVA, Yale, Texas, Chicago, Cornell, Duke, and Penn.

Not too shabby.


Oh yeah...and make it 26 at Quinn for me next year :P




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.