Clerkships: state vs. federal?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traydeuce

Re: Clerkships: state vs. federal?

Postby traydeuce » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When thinking of district courts, remember that location matters much more than at the appellate level. Judge Thomas (9th Cir.) may be in Billings, but the cases he hears are from all over the 9th circuit, but if you're at a D.Ct. in Montana, you'll be hearing much less interesting cases. In contrast, the Western District of Texas includes Austin, where the cases will be interesting, but also includes Waco, where the case load will be much different.

That's pretty subjective.

If you're talking about some complex securities law, then yes, you're not going to see any of that. You're probably going to see a lot of interesting criminal work - especially drug conspiracies.

Every non-white-collar criminal case is exactly the same.

No, they raise different issues.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:53 pm

Crim cases have really interesting facts, and sometimes interesting issues... lots of other cases involve interesting legal issues but sometimes boring facts. Personally, I'd rather do a clerkship with a crim and immigration heavy docket.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:24 am

ggocat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Obviously there's going to be a range, but does anyone know or can point me in the direction of a resource for salaries of state court and Article III clerkships? And I'm assuming those jobs can also qualify for IBR and PSLF? Thanks.

State
http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/judclerkguide2010.pdf
--LinkRemoved--

Neither contains perfect information (some outdated, some just wrong).

Federal
--LinkRemoved--

Yes, all jobs qualify for IBR; you can google to find out about loan forgiveness.

Thanks from anon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:12 pm

It is unlikely that you could use a firm relationship to get a clerkship -- in fact, I'd be very reluctant to let your firm know you're looking until you've accepted an offer.

This probably varies a lot. My experience was the opposite. Attorneys at my firm were happy to help with my clerkship process by giving advice as well as volunteering to put in a good word with the judges they knew personally.

Return to “Legal Employment”