Life after law school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Life after law school

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:+1. While I don't disagree that those considering law school should realize that they are also considering becoming "lawyers," it shouldn't be forgotten that a legal education can help people gain skills that apply in many fields and isn't simply a trade school. Furthermore, I have found the academic experience incredibly enjoyable and I believe anyone considering a future in legal academia would hopefully agree.

Outed as a 0L dean of a third tier law school or a law professor who has never practiced.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:+1. While I don't disagree that those considering law school should realize that they are also considering becoming "lawyers," it shouldn't be forgotten that a legal education can help people gain skills that apply in many fields and isn't simply a trade school. Furthermore, I have found the academic experience incredibly enjoyable and I believe anyone considering a future in legal academia would hopefully agree.

Outed as a 0L dean of a third tier law school or a law professor who has never practiced.

Both guesses incorrect and I stick by my view despite how much flak its taking.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's high school again but no one has a sense of humor.

This. Just, so much this.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:31 am

There is a lot of variety. You know how people say that getting a JD opens a lot of doors and you can do a lot of different things? Well yeah, that's a lie. But the one thing you CAN do is practice law, and there is at least a decent number of choices within practicing the law.

The one piece of advice I'll give is to find what YOU want to do. It's a human thing to covet thy fellow 2L's SA job from the prestigious biglaw firm Soulsuck, Divorce, Alcoholism, and Suicide LLP. But if you don't want to do that kind of work, don't let anyone tell you that is the holy grail of law school. If you want to work for a small firm, do it. If you want to be an assistant county attorney in Nowhere, Nebraska, well, do it!

And the earlier post that you don't know what you want to do at this point is absolutely correct. If you do end up wanting to do what you THINK you want to do, it will mostly be dumb luck. I've talked to far too many interviewers who discussed how their career took them to many different practice areas and about how the field they started in--the field they wanted--they hated. Not just disliked, but HATED.

Keep your options open, head on a swivel, and don't be a douchebag. Hustle, network, scrape and claw, but respect everyone, especially your peers, and don't fall victim to the game. That's IF you decide to go to law school. As mentioned, spend a lot of time on that decision first.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Law school is reading thousands of historical and current cases and BLL, knowing tiny exceptions and being able to argue for every possible outcome from every angle while typing incredibly quickly. It's a ton of reading. It's completely self-motivated. It's not law and order, and it's not OneL. It's obnoxious kids spending the entire class as if it were a conversation with the professor and making slippery slope arguments. It's high school again but no one has a sense of humor. Everyone compares everything with everyone else, and yes, it's always a contest. You'll meet some of the biggest douchebags ever but some people are nice. It's both harder and less terrible than you've heard.

Working is (if you are lucky) spending time with a small group of professionals in your area, most of whom have been practicing longer than you and are not impressed by your ability to scream, "but where is the line?!?!" or whether this or that issue has fascinating federalism and non-delegation implications. In many places, they are smart and more capable than you, and if they aren't, you can be damn sure they believe they are anyway. You still need to learn a lot about new subjects very quickly, and it still involves case and BLL. You need great attention to detail, organization, ability to follow every single possible rule and every deadline. It is still not law and order.

Past that, it depends on the job, the practice area, the city, the office, the field.

i think I just met you yesterday, douchebag..

JK brah..... but actually there are a lot of douchebags.. and if you think it ain't you, it prob is, because in law school we're all DBs.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:49 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's high school again but no one has a sense of humor.

This. Just, so much this.

and everyone gets fatter as the semester goes on ( but they love to give away free pizza)

Return to “Legal Employment”