Sidley NY for International Work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sidley NY for International Work

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Interested in cross-border deals, foreign IPOs, etc. Don't care a ton about traveling, but do want to gain experience working with foreign clients (on the corporate side, not litigation/trade). Does anyone know if the Sidley NY office sees this sort of thing? Don't need every deal to be cross-border, but I'd like maybe 1 in 5 or 10 of the projects I get to have that component.

Just want to emphasize that I'm not one of those people who went to law school hoping to do "international law" - rather, I have a fairly international background and think I could excel at a firm where cross-border work was on my plate while also enjoying that added layer of complexity. Plus, would really be hoping for exit options to multinational companies/government/etc. For now, completely at terms with what corporate practice entails overall though and hoping to do either M&A, tax, or capital markets work.

Anonymous User

Re: Sidley NY for International Work

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:22 am

I'm a 2L so obviously not an expert, but I recently picked Sidley, in part because it is so international. With 17 offices around the world and the NY office at about 350 attorneys strong (so not small), a lot of the work will obviously involve international clients, especially if you're doing corporate work. How many Fortune 500s aren't global? And even though Sidley is based in Chicago, we're talking about NY here--the point of entry/contact for most international clients. The other thing about the international work is that as someone who wants to do litigation/regulatory work, Sidley was particularly appealing not only because it's strong in these areas, but also because it actually has litigation and regulatory work overseas, particularly in Asia. This is simply not the case for most NY firms, which only do corporate abroad. Last, Sidley is pretty financially solid, and if we're actually heading towards a double-dip, I didn't want to sign onto some of the less financially stable firms that made me feel like they were welcoming me aboard the Titanic. Overall, Sidley is totally solid and the people I met there were great.

Anonymous User

Re: Sidley NY for International Work

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2L so obviously not an expert, but I recently picked Sidley, in part because it is so international. With 17 offices around the world and the NY office at about 350 attorneys strong (so not small), a lot of the work will obviously involve international clients, especially if you're doing corporate work. How many Fortune 500s aren't global? And even though Sidley is based in Chicago, we're talking about NY here--the point of entry/contact for most international clients. The other thing about the international work is that as someone who wants to do litigation/regulatory work, Sidley was particularly appealing not only because it's strong in these areas, but also because it actually has litigation and regulatory work overseas, particularly in Asia. This is simply not the case for most NY firms, which only do corporate abroad. Last, Sidley is pretty financially solid, and if we're actually heading towards a double-dip, I didn't want to sign onto some of the less financially stable firms that made me feel like they were welcoming me aboard the Titanic. Overall, Sidley is totally solid and the people I met there were great.

Agreed! Made the same choice.

Return to “Legal Employment”