Final OCI results for those that struck out

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have trouble believing that "[a] bunch of people at median got no callbacks at all." I think we had something like 50% of last year's class spend the summer at a V50. I'm expecting it to be even better this year, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.


I think this sort of thing really is dependent upon what your social circle looks like. Certain types of people seem to do much better than others with the hiring thing. At my t10 I know at least 3 people with great credentials on paper - all within the top 20%, one of them also wrote onto LR - who currently have no offers. A bunch of people posting in my school's OCI thread claim something similar to "the vast majority of people I know have offers already." I don't have a problem believing that there are clusters of people with terrible results, though I agree that we will have to wait until the dust settles before we know how everything turns out.

foxtrottortxof
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby foxtrottortxof » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
foxtrottortxof wrote:This person said that, while hiring is picking up, it's increasing in depth among the top schools rather than breadth among a greater range.



Not true this year. Chicago is getting slammed. A bunch of people at median got no callbacks at all, a lot of the people I ask at school have totally struck out post-callbacks. Are the "top schools" firms are going deeper into just H and S?


I guess it depends on who you talk to. I'm also at Chicago and know of only one person without an offer and I know somebody near bottom third with an offer at a V10. Multiple people I know who are in the top third range have at least one V5 offer. All of my friends here cleaned up and we all thought it was so much better than expected.

I have trouble believing that "[a] bunch of people at median got no callbacks at all." I think we had something like 50% of last year's class spend the summer at a V50. I'm expecting it to be even better this year, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.


The NALP person was not talking specifics, unfortunately, but I would be surprised if UChicago wasn't included among the schools. Obviously, all we have is a potentially insider opinion and some anecdotes, neither of which is great evidence. At HLS, I don't know of anyone who has struck out (I know where about 30 people are going). I suppose they could be lying or something, though that's a very short-term solution.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:27 am

School*: Vandy
Market(s): Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham, NY
Approximate class rank: 76/190
Law review: No
Work experience: tons - worked all through and after college
IP background: nope
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): im poor but im white so no one seems to care about that
Screening Interviews: 9 (6 rejections - 3 unheard from though I know they did callbacks)
Mass mails: in my second waive now but approximately 20 so far (low I know)
Callbacks received: 1 (form mailing)
Callbacks accepted: what does this mean? I went on the callback but offer still pending.
Offers w/vault ranges: no vault
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 3
Thank-you notes sent: yes for my one callback

I know I interview well so I don't know what explains my lack of success unless they truly only care about GPA/LR

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:38 am

Anecdotally, I agree that it appears firms are going deeper within schools these days, at the expense of lower ranked schools. At NYU and I see a number of people pulling callbacks and offers that on paper looked like serious long shots. Friends at Fordham, Cardozo etc. still report serious ITE hiring problems (law review people striking out). I would not be surprised if increased hiring is giving a boost to median T6 students but not lower-T1 folks....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:46 am

dood wrote:one of my friends in ur spot, cept hes a 3L . . . sending out apps to MBA schools as we speak.


Would that help at all? What's the point of going to business school? Wouldn't that add on to the debt already piled up from LS?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotally, I agree that it appears firms are going deeper within schools these days, at the expense of lower ranked schools. At NYU and I see a number of people pulling callbacks and offers that on paper looked like serious long shots. Friends at Fordham, Cardozo etc. still report serious ITE hiring problems (law review people striking out). I would not be surprised if increased hiring is giving a boost to median T6 students but not lower-T1 folks....


Anecdotal, but... I think LR at Fordham seems to be cleaning up. Know of multiple people not on LR with offers also who have good grades. At median, it's a bloodbath.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm just barely below median at UVA.

No offers, no callbacks. Had 8-12 screeners at OGI, all lottery, no preselect. I'm a bad interviewer apparently. Been mass mailing for months to home state and DC/NY with zero response.

Considering dropping out, since I can find a 40-50k job just fine on my own without the need for a JD. Although I do kinda enjoy legal work, long-term career potential is #1. I'd love a federal government job or a clerkship at the state trial level, but I feel like neither option is realistic. If I come out of law school as a public defender or a doc review slave, I'll have felt like the entire experience was a waste. Any advice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School*: Vandy
Market(s): Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham, NY
Approximate class rank: 76/190
Law review: No
Work experience: tons - worked all through and after college
IP background: nope
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): im poor but im white so no one seems to care about that
Screening Interviews: 9 (6 rejections - 3 unheard from though I know they did callbacks)
Mass mails: in my second waive now but approximately 20 so far (low I know)
Callbacks received: 1 (form mailing)
Callbacks accepted: what does this mean? I went on the callback but offer still pending.
Offers w/vault ranges: no vault
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 3
Thank-you notes sent: yes for my one callback

I know I interview well so I don't know what explains my lack of success unless they truly only care about GPA/LR


Are you from Tennessee/the South? Knoxville, Nashville and Birmingham ALL require fairly strong ties. Also, the market is really flooded in the South.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:03 pm

foxtrottortxof wrote: At HLS, I don't know of anyone who has struck out (I know where about 30 people are going). I suppose they could be lying or something, though that's a very short-term solution.



I don't know very many 2Ls at HLS, but I know of about 5 who struck out and are still looking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:04 pm

School*: T2, ranked 50-65
Market(s): East coast, regional market.
Approximate class rank: Top 10%
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: Yes, but not really law related.
IP background: No.
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): A little older than K-JD, but under 35.
Screening Interviews: 5 (applied to 20, in 100% preselect system)
Mass mails: About 20. Small market.
Callbacks received: 1 from screener
Callbacks accepted: 1 (What, am I going to decline my 1 callback?)
Offers w/vault ranges: Zero.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Zero.
Thank-you notes sent: Yes.

If I had expanded by market and applied beyond my local region I probably would have fared better, but this wasn't a possibility for me (which is why I attended this supposedly "regional" school!) Best of luck to everyone on your search going forward.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:42 pm

I am on LR at Fordham and don't know of anyone who went through OCI on LR without offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just barely below median at UVA.

No offers, no callbacks. Had 8-12 screeners at OGI, all lottery, no preselect. I'm a bad interviewer apparently. Been mass mailing for months to home state and DC/NY with zero response.

Considering dropping out, since I can find a 40-50k job just fine on my own without the need for a JD. Although I do kinda enjoy legal work, long-term career potential is #1. I'd love a federal government job or a clerkship at the state trial level, but I feel like neither option is realistic. If I come out of law school as a public defender or a doc review slave, I'll have felt like the entire experience was a waste. Any advice?


A friend is barely above median at UVA. Had 10-13 screeners at OGI, about half pre-select, half lottery. Got one callback, and was rejected after that. They also mass-mailed their hometown and the market they wanted to work in, which resulted in two in-office full day screener/callback hybrids. Got rejected from one of those, and things are looking extremely unlikely for the other. It's weird that he struck out considering that his grades aren't bad (and he was told by Career Services that his interviewing skills were not the problem), but one factor could be that he targeted smaller markets and barely bid DC/NY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm just barely below median at UVA.

No offers, no callbacks. Had 8-12 screeners at OGI, all lottery, no preselect. I'm a bad interviewer apparently. Been mass mailing for months to home state and DC/NY with zero response.

Considering dropping out, since I can find a 40-50k job just fine on my own without the need for a JD. Although I do kinda enjoy legal work, long-term career potential is #1. I'd love a federal government job or a clerkship at the state trial level, but I feel like neither option is realistic. If I come out of law school as a public defender or a doc review slave, I'll have felt like the entire experience was a waste. Any advice?


A friend is barely above median at UVA. Had 10-13 screeners at OGI, about half pre-select, half lottery. Got one callback, and was rejected after that. They also mass-mailed their hometown and the market they wanted to work in, which resulted in two in-office full day screener/callback hybrids. Got rejected from one of those, and things are looking extremely unlikely for the other. It's weird that he struck out considering that his grades aren't bad (and he was told by Career Services that his interviewing skills were not the problem), but one factor could be that he targeted smaller markets and barely bid DC/NY.


I feel like medianish at MVP was pretty rough this year. If you bid right, were a good interviewer, etc. then it had potential to work out but it's tough when you really have no "safety" firms and everyone who is interviewing with the firms you are interviewing at has pretty much the same GPA (for the firms that take lower GPAs).

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm just barely below median at UVA.

No offers, no callbacks. Had 8-12 screeners at OGI, all lottery, no preselect. I'm a bad interviewer apparently. Been mass mailing for months to home state and DC/NY with zero response.

Considering dropping out, since I can find a 40-50k job just fine on my own without the need for a JD. Although I do kinda enjoy legal work, long-term career potential is #1. I'd love a federal government job or a clerkship at the state trial level, but I feel like neither option is realistic. If I come out of law school as a public defender or a doc review slave, I'll have felt like the entire experience was a waste. Any advice?


A friend is barely above median at UVA. Had 10-13 screeners at OGI, about half pre-select, half lottery. Got one callback, and was rejected after that. They also mass-mailed their hometown and the market they wanted to work in, which resulted in two in-office full day screener/callback hybrids. Got rejected from one of those, and things are looking extremely unlikely for the other. It's weird that he struck out considering that his grades aren't bad (and he was told by Career Services that his interviewing skills were not the problem), but one factor could be that he targeted smaller markets and barely bid DC/NY.


I feel like medianish at MVP was pretty rough this year. If you bid right, were a good interviewer, etc. then it had potential to work out but it's tough when you really have no "safety" firms and everyone who is interviewing with the firms you are interviewing at has pretty much the same GPA (for the firms that take lower GPAs).


This is interesting. There are a lot of feel-good stories about MVP median students getting biglaw. I guess you just don't see a lot of the other stories.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm just barely below median at UVA.

No offers, no callbacks. Had 8-12 screeners at OGI, all lottery, no preselect. I'm a bad interviewer apparently. Been mass mailing for months to home state and DC/NY with zero response.

Considering dropping out, since I can find a 40-50k job just fine on my own without the need for a JD. Although I do kinda enjoy legal work, long-term career potential is #1. I'd love a federal government job or a clerkship at the state trial level, but I feel like neither option is realistic. If I come out of law school as a public defender or a doc review slave, I'll have felt like the entire experience was a waste. Any advice?


A friend is barely above median at UVA. Had 10-13 screeners at OGI, about half pre-select, half lottery. Got one callback, and was rejected after that. They also mass-mailed their hometown and the market they wanted to work in, which resulted in two in-office full day screener/callback hybrids. Got rejected from one of those, and things are looking extremely unlikely for the other. It's weird that he struck out considering that his grades aren't bad (and he was told by Career Services that his interviewing skills were not the problem), but one factor could be that he targeted smaller markets and barely bid DC/NY.


I feel like medianish at MVP was pretty rough this year. If you bid right, were a good interviewer, etc. then it had potential to work out but it's tough when you really have no "safety" firms and everyone who is interviewing with the firms you are interviewing at has pretty much the same GPA (for the firms that take lower GPAs).


I agree. About half the people I know at MVP who are around the median struck out. Some got lucky, but it's not a very comfortable place to be at all.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:57 pm

The more I hear about OCI this season, it seems like at MVPDCNG (and I'd throw Texas and Vandy in there too from what I've seen and heard), top third, give or take, is the place to be (probably good for at least 1 offer). Medianish and things get really hit or miss.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Grizz wrote:The more I hear about OCI this season, it seems like at MVPDCNG (and I'd throw Texas and Vandy in there too from what I've seen and heard), top third, give or take, is the place to be (probably good for at least 1 offer). Medianish and things get really hit or miss.


As someone who a little over a year ago was considering taking MVP with a scholarship over CCN, I am very thankful I ended up at my CCN. Median grades and I had opportunities that far exceeded my expectations. 0Ls, take heed!

Chief Justice Cooley
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Chief Justice Cooley » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:29 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:Same as the other thread except for people that struck out.

School*: lower tier 1 (40-50)
Market(s):DC
Approximate class rank: top 15%
Law review: secondary journal
Work experience: zero
IP background: zero
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): none
Screening Interviews: 10
Mass mails: nothing
Callbacks received: 3
Callbacks accepted: 3
Offers w/vault ranges:0
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? lost track (over 20)
Thank-you notes sent: yes


Bloodbath at lower tier 1--I wish I had retaken my lsat and gone to a t-14

KamaalTheAbstract
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Chief Justice Cooley wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote:Same as the other thread except for people that struck out.

School*: lower tier 1 (40-50)
Market(s):DC
Approximate class rank: top 15%
Law review: secondary journal
Work experience: zero
IP background: zero
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): none
Screening Interviews: 10
Mass mails: nothing
Callbacks received: 3
Callbacks accepted: 3
Offers w/vault ranges:0
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? lost track (over 20)
Thank-you notes sent: yes


Bloodbath at lower tier 1--I wish I had retaken my lsat and gone to a t-14


The way you quoted that makes it look like these are my numbers, not yours and like you're just making an observation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School*: Vandy
Market(s): Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham, NY
Approximate class rank: 76/190
Law review: No
Work experience: tons - worked all through and after college
IP background: nope
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): im poor but im white so no one seems to care about that
Screening Interviews: 9 (6 rejections - 3 unheard from though I know they did callbacks)
Mass mails: in my second waive now but approximately 20 so far (low I know)
Callbacks received: 1 (form mailing)
Callbacks accepted: what does this mean? I went on the callback but offer still pending.
Offers w/vault ranges: no vault
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 3
Thank-you notes sent: yes for my one callback

I know I interview well so I don't know what explains my lack of success unless they truly only care about GPA/LR


Are you from Tennessee/the South? Knoxville, Nashville and Birmingham ALL require fairly strong ties. Also, the market is really flooded in the South.


I am from the south - doesnt seem to help. This whole "require fairly strong ties" thing is a myth, at least for Nashville. Sure it seems to help weigh in your favor but they are giving offers right now to plenty of Northerners.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am from the south - doesnt seem to help. This whole "require fairly strong ties" thing is a myth, at least for Nashville. Sure it seems to help weigh in your favor but they are giving offers right now to plenty of Northerners.


Do you have any evidence to back this up? Or is this just an observation of your classmates looking in Nashville?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273509
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am from the south - doesnt seem to help. This whole "require fairly strong ties" thing is a myth, at least for Nashville. Sure it seems to help weigh in your favor but they are giving offers right now to plenty of Northerners.


Do you have any evidence to back this up? Or is this just an observation of your classmates looking in Nashville?


purely anecdotal. but what else is there until the classes are set?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Grizz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am from the south - doesnt seem to help. This whole "require fairly strong ties" thing is a myth, at least for Nashville. Sure it seems to help weigh in your favor but they are giving offers right now to plenty of Northerners.


Do you have any evidence to back this up? Or is this just an observation of your classmates looking in Nashville?

On this note, at Vandy, it seems like the smaller firms in Nashville are suspicious of outsiders, whereas some of the larger ones (BABC, Bass, Baker) are willing to look at people from Vandy with solid grades who can articulate a decent reason for wanting to remain.

edit: an articulable reason is not "I like music." Think "I have a demonstrable interest in healthcare finance."




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.