Final OCI results for those that struck out

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KamaalTheAbstract
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Same as the other thread except for people that struck out.

School*:
Market(s):
Approximate class rank:
Law review:
Work experience:
IP background:
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really):
Screening Interviews:
Mass mails:
Callbacks received:
Callbacks accepted:
Offers w/vault ranges:
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?
Thank-you notes sent:
Last edited by KamaalTheAbstract on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Is it not too early to definitively say that anyone struck out?

KamaalTheAbstract
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it not too early to definitively say that anyone struck out?

Not really. I'm sure there are people who have had 3 callbacks and been rejected from all 3. They could possibly get something in the future but for now they struck out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:29 pm

A little early to say anyone struck out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Nobody ever really strikes out, they just decide that they were meant to do public interest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Note the title "OCI results."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:00 pm

OP, you need to take the format that Helmholtz had in the other thread so people can copy and paste with their relevant info.

Also, although this hasn't happened to me personally, I know multiple top 10-15% + LR kids at my lower T1 that whiffed at OCI. I honestly haven't heard a single employer say that this year's classes are looking better than last year. Of course, this isn't NYC/DC so maybe that is to be expected.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, you need to take the format that Helmholtz had in the other thread so people can copy and paste with their relevant info.

Also, although this hasn't happened to me personally, I know multiple top 10-15% + LR kids at my lower T1 that whiffed at OCI. I honestly haven't heard a single employer say that this year's classes are looking better than last year. Of course, this isn't NYC/DC so maybe that is to be expected.


From what I can gather, an early trend is firms are digging deeper into the classes of T14s than the last two years, but the rest of the T1s and T2s are doing little better than the last two years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:16 pm

this thread is utterly unhelpful and just depressing for those still waiting to hear back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 pm

It's not too early to strike out- what if you had 4 screeners and 4 rejections?


And when I say "you," I mean "I". /self

KamaalTheAbstract
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this thread is utterly unhelpful and just depressing for those still waiting to hear back.


Well obviously this isn't made for people that are waiting to hear back. There's no thread that can help with that. Its made for next years class to see what kind of school and numbers can get you in trouble. So i'm sorry if youre depressed but shut and look at another thread if you feel its useless. Also don't hide under anonymity when you're not saying anything sensitive.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Mine from the transfer thread:

School range: T2 to CCN transfer
Market(s): NYC + a few LA firms
Law review/journal: no
Work experience: no
IP background: no
Anything else that might have an impact: I'm younger than almost everyone
Self-assessed interview ability (1-10): horrible?
Screening Interviews: 25
Mass mails: none before OCI, lots in September (i.e. too late)
Callbacks received: 3
Callbacks accepted: 3 (2 V30s, 1 V100)
Offers w/vault ranges: 0
Comments/Thoughts:

I definitely think I overbid a bit; went for mostly V25 firms and, in hindsight, that probably made an uphill battle for me. Also, I guess I suck at interviewing? Those 2 things make for a bad combo. Underbidding stinks, but at the end of the day you still have a paying job for 2L summer and most likely a permanent job in your future. Feel free to aim higher if you have WE, you're an excellent interviewer (and you 100% know it), you're going into IP, your dad is John Roberts, etc., but there's nothing wrong with playing it safe. That said, I know a bunch of transfers that did very well here (including V5s, V10s, etc.) so don't place too much emphasis on my stats alone.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote: Its made for next years class to see what kind of school and numbers can get you in trouble.

Any school and numbers can get you in trouble. Someone could be a bad interviewer, have a few bad days when they needed to be on their A-game, etc. If someone posts they had top grades at Harvard and struck out, it doesn't prove anything. Anecdotal evidence like this will be useless for next years class.

KamaalTheAbstract
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote: Its made for next years class to see what kind of school and numbers can get you in trouble.

Any school and numbers can get you in trouble. Someone could be a bad interviewer, have a few bad days when they needed to be on their A-game, etc. If someone posts they had top grades at Harvard and struck out, it doesn't prove anything. Anecdotal evidence like this will be useless for next years class.


Well I disagree. There's already a thread running for final OCI results that basically only consists of people with multiple offers. This is to show the otherside. So i'm guessing you're just in the boat that sharing information on stats and the results of your OCI season are useless. Move along in that case.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote: Its made for next years class to see what kind of school and numbers can get you in trouble.

Any school and numbers can get you in trouble. Someone could be a bad interviewer, have a few bad days when they needed to be on their A-game, etc. If someone posts they had top grades at Harvard and struck out, it doesn't prove anything. Anecdotal evidence like this will be useless for next years class.


Well I disagree. There's already a thread running for final OCI results that basically only consists of people with multiple offers. This is to show the otherside. So i'm guessing you're just in the boat that sharing information on stats and the results of your OCI season are useless. Move along in that case.

I think it's useful in certain circumstances: school specific threads, for example, are good ways to see if a firm has made offers or rejections.

But you're right, I don't think sharing anecdotal information in a thread, especially one like this that will have an inherent selection bias, is doing anything for next year's class (who, by the way, are already 1Ls that have picked their schools and can't really use any information anyways).

EDIT: Oh, and also, if you think this site is too much sunshine and puppies: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=164767

KamaalTheAbstract
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:56 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote: Its made for next years class to see what kind of school and numbers can get you in trouble.

Any school and numbers can get you in trouble. Someone could be a bad interviewer, have a few bad days when they needed to be on their A-game, etc. If someone posts they had top grades at Harvard and struck out, it doesn't prove anything. Anecdotal evidence like this will be useless for next years class.


Well I disagree. There's already a thread running for final OCI results that basically only consists of people with multiple offers. This is to show the otherside. So i'm guessing you're just in the boat that sharing information on stats and the results of your OCI season are useless. Move along in that case.

I think it's useful in certain circumstances: school specific threads, for example, are good ways to see if a firm has made offers or rejections.

But you're right, I don't think sharing anecodal information in a thread, especially one like this that will have an inherent selection bias, is doing anything for next year's class (who, by the way, are already 1Ls that have picked their schools and can't really use any information anyways).

That's the point. The last thread had an overwhelming amount of top 20% at T10 schools responding. The people who self selected into that thread are successful. This one is created to exclude those people.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Heartford » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:04 am

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:That's the point. The last thread had an overwhelming amount of top 20% at T10 schools responding. The people who self selected into that thread are successful. This one is created to exclude those people.


And you're ruining your own thread by using it for this retargument.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:07 am

Anyone else seriously considering dropping out? I'm only $40K in debt so far and it seems like a good point to cut my losses and pursue something else.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else seriously considering dropping out? I'm only $40K in debt so far and it seems like a good point to cut my losses and pursue something else.


School/grades?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else seriously considering dropping out? I'm only $40K in debt so far and it seems like a good point to cut my losses and pursue something else.


School/grades?


T30, Top 1/3, URM. Don't love the law and feel like I should bail since LS is practically certain to not make financial sense.

EDIT: Also practically certain to secure low-paying but gainful non-legal employment at my summer employer.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

foxtrottortxof
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby foxtrottortxof » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, you need to take the format that Helmholtz had in the other thread so people can copy and paste with their relevant info.

Also, although this hasn't happened to me personally, I know multiple top 10-15% + LR kids at my lower T1 that whiffed at OCI. I honestly haven't heard a single employer say that this year's classes are looking better than last year. Of course, this isn't NYC/DC so maybe that is to be expected.


From what I can gather, an early trend is firms are digging deeper into the classes of T14s than the last two years, but the rest of the T1s and T2s are doing little better than the last two years.


Potentially comforting/depressing news:

I heard from a very high-up person involved in NALP that there has been consolidation of hiring since before the recession. This person said that, while hiring is picking up, it's increasing in depth among the top schools rather than breadth among a greater range.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:19 am

foxtrottortxof wrote:This person said that, while hiring is picking up, it's increasing in depth among the top schools rather than breadth among a greater range.



Not true this year. Chicago is getting slammed. A bunch of people at median got no callbacks at all, a lot of the people I ask at school have totally struck out post-callbacks. Are the "top schools" firms are going deeper into just H and S?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else seriously considering dropping out? I'm only $40K in debt so far and it seems like a good point to cut my losses and pursue something else.


School/grades?


T30, URM, Top 1/3, no journal. Don't love the law and feel like I should bail since LS is practically certain to not make financial sense.


I've been thinking about it. Top 10%, journal at a T2. Picked the school for the scholarship. School has great reputation in fairly thriving local market. Worked my ass off for 1L and got the grades to show it, but I struck out after only getting 5 screeners. Feeling pretty down. What's the point of continuing on, and why did I even bother trying in the first place?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby dood » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else seriously considering dropping out? I'm only $40K in debt so far and it seems like a good point to cut my losses and pursue something else.


School/grades?


T30, URM, Top 1/3, no journal. Don't love the law and feel like I should bail since LS is practically certain to not make financial sense.


I've been thinking about it. Top 10%, journal at a T2. Picked the school for the scholarship. School has great reputation in fairly thriving local market. Worked my ass off for 1L and got the grades to show it, but I struck out after only getting 5 screeners. Feeling pretty down. What's the point of continuing on, and why did I even bother trying in the first place?


one of my friends in ur spot, cept hes a 3L . . . sending out apps to MBA schools as we speak.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results for those that struck out

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
foxtrottortxof wrote:This person said that, while hiring is picking up, it's increasing in depth among the top schools rather than breadth among a greater range.



Not true this year. Chicago is getting slammed. A bunch of people at median got no callbacks at all, a lot of the people I ask at school have totally struck out post-callbacks. Are the "top schools" firms are going deeper into just H and S?


I guess it depends on who you talk to. I'm also at Chicago and know of only one person without an offer and I know somebody near bottom third with an offer at a V10. Multiple people I know who are in the top third range have at least one V5 offer. All of my friends here cleaned up and we all thought it was so much better than expected.

I have trouble believing that "[a] bunch of people at median got no callbacks at all." I think we had something like 50% of last year's class spend the summer at a V50. I'm expecting it to be even better this year, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.