SA contingent on 2L grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA contingent on 2L grades

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 am

HYS, have an SA offer that mentioned a requirement to maintain the same level of academic success.

How serious should I take this? Would straight P's = no SA?

shoeshine

Re: SA contingent on 2L grades

Postby shoeshine » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:HYS, have an SA offer that mentioned a requirement to maintain the same level of academic success.

Wouldn't your question depend on the prestige of the firm and your current grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:16 am

shoeshine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:HYS, have an SA offer that mentioned a requirement to maintain the same level of academic success.

Wouldn't your question depend on the prestige of the firm and your current grades?

Current grades ~top15%. Why would it depend on firm prestige? And in which direction?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:30 am

Likely, maintaining top half will be sufficient, particularly if you do good work over the summer. Straight Ps, if far removed from your previous grades, might be problematic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Current grades ~top15%. Why would it depend on firm prestige? And in which direction?

My letter said the same; I called up the recruiter directly and spoke with her. If you're an A- student, don't become a B- student. That's what they're trying to prevent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:38 pm

bump!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Gibson Dunn will no offer you for a significant grade drop but not a slight grade drop. Why the hell anyone would go to Gibson Dunn is beyond me but w/e.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson Dunn will no offer you for a significant grade drop but not a slight grade drop. Why the hell anyone would go to Gibson Dunn is beyond me but w/e.

Let's say it's a V10/15 with 99% offer rates and it's not GDC...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson Dunn will no offer you for a significant grade drop but not a slight grade drop. Why the hell anyone would go to Gibson Dunn is beyond me but w/e.

What makes you say this? I thought GDC was regarded fairly well...

And, @OP, I had a significant drop in grades (think top 10% to 30-40%) and was fine at a firm with language like that in the offer letter. I think really solid work over the summer trumps all else.

Return to “Legal Employment”