Baker Donelson in Memphis Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Baker Donelson in Memphis

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:00 am

I've actually heard good things, but does anyone happen to know the salary info for the firm?

Also, since I've wasted TLS real estate by posting a whole topic to answer one question (sorry, but NALP has a huge range for 1st year salaries at BD, and there isn't a previous thread on TLS), if anyone knows anything else about the firm then I'd really love to hear it.

Tyia!

Anonymous User

Re: Baker Donelson in Memphis

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:22 pm

12-hour bump rule. I want my thread to be visible during prime time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I have a CB with the Atlanta office, so I'd appreciate any responses because I don't really know anything about the firm besides what I could glean off their website.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a CB with the Atlanta office, so I'd appreciate any responses because I don't really know anything about the firm besides what I could glean off their website.
NALP directory lists starting salaries as: "$92K - $120K"

which is a uselessly large range. My strong guess would be that Atlanta pays $120K. Memphis is a more interesting question: the CoL is super-low, but it seems odd that they'd pay their home office so poorly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Really good firm in the South. They are looking to rapidly expand to --- heard they might be opening up a Houston office.

As for Memphis, don't have any idea on the salary, but Memphis salaries tend to be lower than any others in the South (I guess COL is cheaper) so I would guess 92k.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Baker Donelson is perhaps the largest and most stable firm in the south (firms in the Atlanta market notwithstanding). They got great rankings for quality of life and diversity.

I interviewed with two Baker offices, called back with two, and got an offer from one. People seem very friendly and the development of young associates is certainly high on their priority list.

Memphis market salaries fluctuate. My guess is $95K.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Baker Donelson is perhaps the largest and most stable firm in the south (firms in the Atlanta market notwithstanding). They got great rankings for quality of life and diversity.

I interviewed with two Baker offices, called back with two, and got an offer from one. People seem very friendly and the development of young associates is certainly high on their priority list.

Memphis market salaries fluctuate. My guess is $95K.
OP here.

Yeah, like I said, I've heard some really glowing things about the firm, but I'm pretty pessimistic about Memphis salary... the fact that there's like literally no competition there probably doesn't help either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:14 am

Is anyone else confused as shit by their reported billables on NALP? Says a minimum billable of 1850, but average billables are listed as 1455. I understand firms lying or not listing their billables, but why do they put a number that's clearly below their "requirement" Also, is their offer rate low because they expect you to split? I don't like 15/28.
Anonymous User wrote: OP here.
Yeah, like I said, I've heard some really glowing things about the firm, but I'm pretty pessimistic about Memphis salary... the fact that there's like literally no competition there probably doesn't help either.
If their billables are actually what they listed, I'd accept in a heartbeat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

I don't know, you might want to do a little more research. I believe market rate for Memphis is around $90K if you can land one of the bigger firms (Baker, Butler, Bass, etc.). I'm 100% sure Baker pays above market, so if you're looking for $110/115+, Memphis isn't the market for you, but if you're comfortable with the $95-100 range, Baker certainly falls in that ballpark.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else confused as shit by their reported billables on NALP? Says a minimum billable of 1850, but average billables are listed as 1455. I understand firms lying or not listing their billables, but why do they put a number that's clearly below their "requirement" Also, is their offer rate low because they expect you to split? I don't like 15/28.
I have been to two Baker offices for callbacks, and I think I can give a slight amount of insight into this. It seems like 1850 is the minimum billable requirement, but you have to take into consideration a few things: first, BD gives up to 50 hours of billable credit for pro bono work (that likely isn't counted in that 1455 number). Also, BD focuses a lot on the development of its young associates, with training within the practice groups, etc. So I imagine the 1455 number is the realistic number for first years, considering all the training and whatnot, but you're likely held to the 1850/1900 standard starting second year.

Just my opinion.

Edit: what office do you have an offer for? I have heard of 5 offices that have given out offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else confused as shit by their reported billables on NALP? Says a minimum billable of 1850, but average billables are listed as 1455. I understand firms lying or not listing their billables, but why do they put a number that's clearly below their "requirement" Also, is their offer rate low because they expect you to split? I don't like 15/28.
I have been to two Baker offices for callbacks, and I think I can give a slight amount of insight into this. It seems like 1850 is the minimum billable requirement, but you have to take into consideration a few things: first, BD gives up to 50 hours of billable credit for pro bono work (that likely isn't counted in that 1455 number). Also, BD focuses a lot on the development of its young associates, with training within the practice groups, etc. So I imagine the 1455 number is the realistic number for first years, considering all the training and whatnot, but you're likely held to the 1850/1900 standard starting second year.

Just my opinion.

Edit: what office do you have an offer for? I have heard of 5 offices that have given out offers.
Which offices have you heard have given out offers?

Is Memphis included?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Baker Atlanta gave out offers. Unfortunately, I didn't get one. Really loved the office though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which offices have you heard have given out offers?
All of them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”