Law Review and Government Job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law Review and Government Job

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 am

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Background: I go to a Tier 1 school 20-25, wrote on to law review, but grades are mediocre (top 40-45%). Struck out at OCI, but real goal is a District attorney job in Southern CA. I made great connections my 1L summer and will be interning with one of the top DA's in Los Angeles County 2L summer. Law review takes up a bunch of time and I'd rather focus on increasing my GPA than putting Law Review on my resume.

Question: Drop Law Review and focus on GPA??? Anyone know how many points Law Review gets you in applying to a government job versus grades?

Thanks again.

Anonymous User

Re: Law Review and Government Job

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:48 am

The amount of time law review requires is drastically overstated. You should have no problem doing your cite checks and putting in the effort needed to do as well as you can on exams. Dropping law review would be crazy--it shows that you were among the top students in your class (either by grades or by writing competition performance).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:The amount of time law review requires is drastically overstated. You should have no problem doing your cite checks and putting in the effort needed to do as well as you can on exams. Dropping law review would be crazy--it shows that you were among the top students in your class (either by grades or by writing competition performance).
+1. There is another "drop LR?" thread floating around. Clearly the 1st couple of weeks of cite checking have been rough...

Listen: you've only been cite checking for a couple of weeks. It gets considerably easier over time. By spring, you'll be doing this in your sleep.

With top 40-45% grades, your resume needs ALL the help it can get. Frankly, you are just not in position to be even considering dropping LR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:37 am

Also, you only do like 2 cite checks a semester which isn't that big of a deal. It's like to big Legal research assignments

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also, you only do like 2 cite checks a semester which isn't that big of a deal. It's like to big Legal research assignments
You're only doing 2 cite checks? At a T25 and we're doing 4 cite checks per semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 am

Citizen Genet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, you only do like 2 cite checks a semester which isn't that big of a deal. It's like to big Legal research assignments
You're only doing 2 cite checks? At a T25 and we're doing 4 cite checks per semester.
Sorry for you mang, 2 per semester here @ a T20

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:
At GW, you have a cite-checking assignment every week, so you all need to stop complaining and thank your lucky stars you don't have that.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:
At GW, you have a cite-checking assignment every week, so you all need to stop complaining and thank your lucky stars you don't have that.
Uphill in snow, both ways? Naked?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”