Paul Hastings Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paul Hastings

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:22 pm

i have a CB with Paul Hasting tom. anyone interview with them recently? havent really seen much talk about them on any forums.
thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Paul Hastings

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have a CB with Paul Hasting tom. anyone interview with them recently? havent really seen much talk about them on any forums.
thanks
What office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:36 pm

New York

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:New York
Don't know then. I had a CB in Chicago. I loved the firm, but most of the stuff I talked about was specific to Chicago since it's a small office. Good luck though!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:47 pm

IMO Paul Hastings a sweatshop in any office. I have met a total of 6 associates and 2 partners over the course of my CB interviews who had left PH and said they couldn't be happier.

If you have another option, go for that one!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 pm

thats funny, b/c i heard there a really 'chilled' out law firm ( as chilled as a law firm of that size could be)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:52 pm

do they have a big L and E dept?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:IMO Paul Hastings a sweatshop in any office. I have met a total of 6 associates and 2 partners over the course of my CB interviews who had left PH and said they couldn't be happier.

If you have another option, go for that one!
Can you expand on this? What makes it worse than any other similar sized BigLaw firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:17 am

Worked at PH this past summer; in short, I think it's a great place to work, with lots of down-to-earth people to work with. You will definitely work hard, but not more so than any other big NY firm, and I wouldn't consider it a sweatshop at all. Expect as a summer to work from 9:30-6:30 daily, with occasional late nights when needed to finish an assignment or when a deal is closing or a court deadline is approaching. There are also social events 2-3 times each week (either with the entire class or with a few summers and a partner), and basically unlimited lunches with associates, which can include either long sit-downs at upscale Midtown places or just grabbing a burger and fries and heading back to the office, depending on how busy you are on any given day.

I also just read through both of these pages, and find them pretty accurate if you want some additional information:

- http://careers.abovethelaw.com/firm_snapshots?id=11
- http://www.paulhastings.com/careers_attorneys_FAQs.aspx

Good luck with your callback!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Worked at PH this past summer; in short, I think it's a great place to work, with lots of down-to-earth people to work with. You will definitely work hard, but not more so than any other big NY firm, and I wouldn't consider it a sweatshop at all. Expect as a summer to work from 9:30-6:30 daily, with occasional late nights when needed to finish an assignment or when a deal is closing or a court deadline is approaching. There are also social events 2-3 times each week (either with the entire class or with a few summers and a partner), and basically unlimited lunches with associates, which can include either long sit-downs at upscale Midtown places or just grabbing a burger and fries and heading back to the office, depending on how busy you are on any given day.

I also just read through both of these pages, and find them pretty accurate if you want some additional information:

The summer experience is vastly different than the real associate experience. Expect 9am - 9pm days (LA office) with frequent all-nighters. The billable hour requirement is 2000 but you're really expected to go over that amount. Had a friend who summered, loved it but now hates his life as a junior associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:34 am

Sounds like every other BigLaw firm. :?:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sounds like every other BigLaw firm. :?:
If you're in NYC this is entirely true. In other markets (SF/LA/SV) there are big differences in terms of lifestyle depending on where you go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

anyone hear back from them yet? curious what there turnaround time is

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Worked at PH this past summer; in short, I think it's a great place to work, with lots of down-to-earth people to work with. You will definitely work hard, but not more so than any other big NY firm, and I wouldn't consider it a sweatshop at all. Expect as a summer to work from 9:30-6:30 daily, with occasional late nights when needed to finish an assignment or when a deal is closing or a court deadline is approaching. There are also social events 2-3 times each week (either with the entire class or with a few summers and a partner), and basically unlimited lunches with associates, which can include either long sit-downs at upscale Midtown places or just grabbing a burger and fries and heading back to the office, depending on how busy you are on any given day.

"The firm made offers to 58% of its 142-member 2009 summer associate class."

Was that typical in '09?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The summer experience is vastly different than the real associate experience. Expect 9am - 9pm days (LA office) with frequent all-nighters. The billable hour requirement is 2000 but you're really expected to go over that amount. Had a friend who summered, loved it but now hates his life as a junior associate.
I know multiple people at that office; they generally work from 7/8-7 with very few all-nighters. That sounds closer to the NY office

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Was that typical in '09?
yes. i wouldn't worry about that. a lot of firms were slow to react to the recession and hired way more SAs then they could possibly take on once the economy tanked and started affecting them. now most firms hire much smaller SA classes with the expectation that all of them will get offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Was that typical in '09?
It was slightly lower than other firms (the average was probably between 60-70% that summer), but the past 2 years have been close to 100%. The main reason for this is the summer classes have been cut in half (NY went from 50 in 2009 to 25 now), but that just means that while it's harder to get in the door now, it's easier to get a full-time offer at the end of the summer. HTH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know multiple people at that office; they generally work from 7/8-7 with very few all-nighters. That sounds closer to the NY office
Is 7/8-7 really different from 9am-9pm? Arn't 12 hour days all the same no matter when you're starting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:35 pm

just curious if anyone heard from the NY office? had a CB a little bit ago and still no word.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:58 pm

still nothing from NY office. i think 2 weeks was there final week of CB. i assuming rejection. anyone hear anything

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:still nothing from NY office. i think 2 weeks was there final week of CB. i assuming rejection. anyone hear anything

pretty sure they're still doing interviews...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:05 pm

sorry not 2 weeks ago but i was told that the last week of sept was there last week

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:03 am

OP, do a google search for "paul hastings miscarriage" for some lulz

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”