Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby goodolgil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm curious if OP got the offers he was expecting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:43 pm

goodolgil wrote:I'm curious if OP got the offers he was expecting.


and OP is curious to know if this is actually mrloblaw. lol.

no not yet. moot point indeed. will let y'all know when i get my mail today.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby goodolgil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This might be a moot point in the end, but I'm fairly certain I will be getting an offer on Monday from one (or both) of my top two choices. I also have a CB scheduled for Monday afternoon at a V50, but one I'm not terribly keen on, just trying to keep my options open as I don't have an offer as of yet.

If I get the phone call Monday morning, is it proper to cancel the CB if I would never take an offer from the CB over my top two choices? I feel like it saves both the firm and myself a lot of time, but I fear its just bad form.

Advice?



Okay, so it's Monday afternoon and it'd only be fair for you to fill us in on what ended up happening! Did you get the often you were fairly certain you would be receiving this morning? Did you cancel your callback?

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
goodolgil wrote:I'm curious if OP got the offers he was expecting.


and OP is curious to know if this is actually mrloblaw. lol.


wut

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby monkey85 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Dude, did you get the offers?

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Doubt it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:21 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:Doubt it.


Thanks for the support. lol. I hope the thinking was that if I got the offer I would have posted right away.


Nope, no offers. On the bright side, no dings either. Checking that mailbox is the worst part of my day. If the firm that called to check in on Friday had dinged me, I should have received the letter today. Classmates that CBd at the same firm got their dings last Thursday. Looks like I'm in waitlist limbo. It's rough on the USS Worried.

The CB today, which I was thinking about cancelling, went great and I think I have a new top choice. Weird how I (we?) form these pictures about what each firm will be like and sometimes they are so off it's surprising. Maybe it's just me though.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:Doubt it.


Thanks for the support. lol. I hope the thinking was that if I got the offer I would have posted right away.


Nope, no offers. On the bright side, no dings either. Checking that mailbox is the worst part of my day. If the firm that called to check in on Friday had dinged me, I should have received the letter today. Classmates that CBd at the same firm got their dings last Thursday. Looks like I'm in waitlist limbo. It's rough on the USS Worried.

The CB today, which I was thinking about cancelling, went great and I think I have a new top choice. Weird how I (we?) form these pictures about what each firm will be like and sometimes they are so off it's surprising. Maybe it's just me though.


I think people drastically overstate the importance of fit factors with firms; the only firms that aren't interchangeable are the ones with QoL so bad, but reputation so good, that you'd willingly take physical torture in the elevator up every morning to work there.

Out of interviews with 30 or so places, I've only had one where I knew from the context I didn't want to work there, and I probably just got the biggest jerk in the firm as an interviewer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is really all a moot point. I'm sure that in the history of the universe firms have called to make offers in the morning, but this has to be the exception and not the rule. Any calls I've gotten have come either around lunchtime (i.e., 12 - 3 pm-ish) or after business hours.

Just for posterity's sake, I'll say that I would vote not to cancel. Two reasons. First, you never, never know if a firm is going to surprise you and be the be all and end all of what you're looking for culturally. Maybe not, maybe not likely, but it happens. Second, it's a good chance to ask questions of people who have been in the business for awhile. If you're sure you already have a job offer, you can still take the opportunity to ask people how they chose firms, practice areas, etc. I went on a callback the Monday after receiving a Friday offer even though I knew the firm was a very unlikely choice, but I thought it was only right to give the firm a chance to change my mind.

At the same time, I would say that it's a choice of evils in terms of whether or not to cancel day of or day before, but if being polite is your only goal, I suppose cancel. The inconvenience of the recruiter having to email 4-6 people to say they won't need to interview you does not outweigh the inconvenience of having 4-6 people take the time to meet you. They know the business, and if you have your offer, they're not going to spite you for taking it.


Called it.

randomdandom
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Cancelling same day as CB scheduled - thoughts?

Postby randomdandom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:34 am

Still waiting on those two offers i was "fairly certain" would come on Monday. One firm called and said they need till friday.

The CB that i did not cancel, which went really well, has already turned into an offer. I'm seriously considering it, though I must admit, its my only offer at the moment.

10 CBs Total
3 Dings
5 MIA
1 Offer
1 CB to go




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.