Will I lose my SA-ship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will I lose my SA-ship?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:00 am

Transfer from t10% at an upper t2 to lower t14 SA offer from a v15 firm, contingent on "comparable academic performance".

I'm worried about keeping the job because I don't have any academic record at my new school. I'm lucky enough to have done well first year and have a transfer/offer, but really freaked out to potentially lose it. I'm studying my ass off for my classes, but feel like I'm in 1L all over again.

Does anyone with comparable experiences have any insight? Not asking for reassurance necessarily, just want to know if I should be worried about losing this opportunity I already feel like I don't deserve.

TYIA!

mrloblaw

Re: Will I lose my SA-ship?

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:03 am

Is the concern that you can't maintain the grades, or that you can't maintain the grades if you coast like the rest of the kids who already have SAs with the place they want to work forever?

If it's the former, I'd say the (scant) evidence I've seen around here shows that you'll be fine; grades might drop some, but if you do 1L-sih work, not enough to jeopardize your offer.

If it's the latter, well, I'm not sure how lazy you're planning to go, here.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer from t10% at an upper t2 to lower t14 SA offer from a v15 firm, contingent on "comparable academic performance".

I'm worried about keeping the job because I don't have any academic record at my new school. I'm lucky enough to have done well first year and have a transfer/offer, but really freaked out to potentially lose it. I'm studying my ass off for my classes, but feel like I'm in 1L all over again.

Does anyone with comparable experiences have any insight? Not asking for reassurance necessarily, just want to know if I should be worried about losing this opportunity I already feel like I don't deserve.

TYIA!

Is this GDC? I've heard of them no-offering for poor grades, but I never bothered to find out how poor they had to be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:52 am

im betting dewey from what i've read on TLS.

Also, I've read that unless you get DQed or something, you'll be fine.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:im betting dewey from what i've read on TLS.

Also, I've read that unless you get DQed or something, you'll be fine.

Dewey isn't V15.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:32 am

Make the top 15% or so, and you'll do just fine. If you were in the top-10% at an upper T2, you should be able to do that. A little drop won't hurt because many factors other than academic ability can realistically cause a drop, such as just being in a new environment and needing to adjust, or some other non-school-related factor.

Across schools, the talent differences at the top(s) of the classes are either negligible or perceivably even nonexistent, depending on the schools, their relative curricula, geography, etc.

I would never bet on a top-10% student from a school ranked as low as Suffolk being inferior to a top-10% student at BU or BC, and in a lot of cases, Harvard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:27 am

OP - V10? Mine had the same language...

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:14 am

That's harsh. You're in an entirely new pool of competitors, many of whom are probably much more capable than the ones at your previous school. And there's always the chance that you completely screw up one final exam, which could significantly lower your GPA all by itself.

Any transfers (those that have already gotten grades at their new school) have any comment on how their grades changed post-switch?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:41 am

BarCliff wrote:That's harsh. You're in an entirely new pool of competitors, many of whom are probably much more capable than the ones at your previous school. And there's always the chance that you completely screw up one final exam, which could significantly lower your GPA all by itself.

Any transfers (those that have already gotten grades at their new school) have any comment on how their grades changed post-switch?

i'm a transfer, as well, and from the anecdotal evidence i've received from previous transfers, your grades almost always drop, but the decline is usually not that great (usually ~10%). i.e., if you were in top 10%, you'll probably drop to around top 20%. that said, it can also heavily depend on the types of classes you take. if you take all large, curved classes, then your grades are more likely to drop. but if you take smaller, seminar-type classes, which usually aren't curved, then you might even be able to boost your GPA.

in short, though, i wouldn't worry. if you keep up some effort (not 1L effort, but enough), you'll be fine.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:23 am

If the school's a public school you can go on myedu.com and cherry pick the easiest classes. Costs $10, but you can see the historical grade distribution for any professor and class he or she teaches. A worthwhile investment considering what's at stake. If it's a private school, they won't have the data.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 am

midwestls wrote:If the school's a public school you can go on myedu.com and cherry pick the easiest classes. Costs $10, but you can see the historical grade distribution for any professor and class he or she teaches. A worthwhile investment considering what's at stake. If it's a private school, they won't have the data.

Don't most schools provide this info for you? mine does, at least.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
midwestls wrote:If the school's a public school you can go on myedu.com and cherry pick the easiest classes. Costs $10, but you can see the historical grade distribution for any professor and class he or she teaches. A worthwhile investment considering what's at stake. If it's a private school, they won't have the data.

Don't most schools provide this info for you? mine does, at least.

yeah this sounds like a rip-off. all public schools provide that info for free on their registrar's websites. moreover, a graph with the historical grade distribution isn't likely to be of much use, especially since a lot of schools have changed their curves so that they're higher than they were a few years ago.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:50 am

Some schools do, some schools don't. Mine didn't. The data's also presented in pretty user-friendly fashion. For $10, it was well worth it in my case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:57 am

I had the same language in both my V5 and V10 offer letters, so I suspect it's probably standard and given little weight.

...Or at least I hope so because I dont think I can maintain Top-1% as a T-35 to CCN transfer haha.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:17 pm

I don't have any experience with this, but just generally, try to stay calm and enjoy the classes at your new school. Yes work your ass off, but you also have to keep your head on straight and try to enjoy what you're learning.

When you put too much stress on yourself it's only a matter of time before you break (and if past is prologue, that tends to happen to people at the most inconvenient of times--right before or during final exams).

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:49 pm

I went from top 5% to top 1% at GULC, so... it all depends on whether you're really good or were just good for the t2.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:54 pm

traydeuce wrote:I went from top 5% to top 1% at GULC, so... it all depends on whether you're really good or were just good for the t2.

well said

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:22 pm

CCN transfer with V5 offer. Not one mention of grades in my offer letter or acceptance-of-offer letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:27 pm

MVPB transfer with V20, no language like that.

I'm personally not too worried. They know you're a transfer and they also recognize the caliber of students in the T14, as shown by their recruiting practices.

I'm approaching this year without stress. I'm gong to do all of my reading, I'm going to use supplements here and there, and I'm going to go to class. When finals roll around, I'm going to work hard to walk into the test feeling comfortable.

However, am I going to stress myself out every day wondering if I'm going to do well enough or if there is more I should do (like 1L)? Absolutely not. If I can't learn how to work hard, keep a balance, and not stress myself into an ulcer then I need to make some readjustments for the stress-laden career that lays ahead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MVPB transfer with V20, no language like that.

I'm personally not too worried. They know you're a transfer and they also recognize the caliber of students in the T14, as shown by their recruiting practices.

I'm approaching this year without stress. I'm gong to do all of my reading, I'm going to use supplements here and there, and I'm going to go to class. When finals roll around, I'm going to work hard to walk into the test feeling comfortable.

However, am I going to stress myself out every day wondering if I'm going to do well enough or if there is more I should do (like 1L)? Absolutely not. If I can't learn how to work hard, keep a balance, and not stress myself into an ulcer then I need to make some readjustments for the stress-laden career that lays ahead.

Ya, this is my approach as well although I am not in the same boat. I'm median at a T30 with a V70 offer in hand. Since they hired me as a median kid, I imagine if I keep my GPA at median or even improve it, I'll be fine. Seems unlikely that it would drop substantially...hard to get C's.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Whether your firm has this language in the offer letter or not is irrelevant. It's an employment at will scenario, so they can fire you whenever they want, for whatever reason. All SA offers are contingent on reasonably consistent academic performance. But your grades would really have to decline in order for this to happen.

PeanutHead

Postby PeanutHead » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:32 pm

traydeuce wrote:so... it all depends on whether you're really good or were just good for the t2.

And also on your course selection. I'm at GULC too, and we have tons of small uncurved classes.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:50 pm

PeanutHead wrote:
traydeuce wrote:so... it all depends on whether you're really good or were just good for the t2.

And also on your course selection. I'm at GULC too, and we have tons of small uncurved classes.

I never get this; I'd rather be in a curved class. I feel assured that if I'm in a curved class I'll get an A, but in an uncurved class, maybe my paper just doesn't fit the prof's standards of A-ness.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:08 pm

traydeuce wrote:
PeanutHead wrote:

I never get this; I'd rather be in a curved class. I feel assured that if I'm in a curved class I'll get an A, but in an uncurved class, maybe my paper just doesn't fit the prof's standards of A-ness.

Exactly. Going from undergrad, where an A actually required doing "well" to lawl school, where I only had to do better than 90% or so of my peers, shot my GPA through the roof.

PeanutHead

Postby PeanutHead » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:15 pm

I don't know why this is a tough concept.

In the uncurved classes, it seems like 50% of the class gets an A. And the remainder get an A-/B+. In the curved classes the most I've ever seen get As is about 20%.

Return to “Legal Employment”