Project Finance vs. Structured Finance vs. Public Finance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Project Finance vs. Structured Finance vs. Public Finance

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:11 am

Are these all ways of basically saying the same thing (i.e., getting money from some people to some other people so that someone can do something cool with it)?

Are there any special differences the the practices themselves (outside of the actual thing being financed)? For example, if I go to a firm with good structured/public finance practices, could I plausibly move to a firm in a few years to do project finance? My offers in hand basically make the best firm for projects the worst fit for me overall, but I'm really interested in projects work.

Apologies in advance for being totally clueless. Wikipedia-ing these things has been super unhelpful.

quakeroats

Re: Project Finance vs. Structured Finance vs. Public Finance

Postby quakeroats » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are these all ways of basically saying the same thing (i.e., getting money from some people to some other people so that someone can do something cool with it)?

Are there any special differences the the practices themselves (outside of the actual thing being financed)? For example, if I go to a firm with good structured/public finance practices, could I plausibly move to a firm in a few years to do project finance? My offers in hand basically make the best firm for projects the worst fit for me overall, but I'm really interested in projects work.

Apologies in advance for being totally clueless. Wikipedia-ing these things has been super unhelpful.

No those aren't the same. I'm sure someone at Milbank can explain project finance to you.

monkey85

Re: Project Finance vs. Structured Finance vs. Public Finance

Postby monkey85 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:31 am

Project Finance - think industrial projects - bridges, factories, and the smattering of energy-related projects (oil facilities, solar, electric grids, etc.); poster above is correct that this is Milbank's baby.

Structured Finance - think "structured" products - taking unsecuritized products and turning it into a tradeable security so that people can invest in it (e.g., mortgage-backed securities)

Public Finance - helping states, cities, and governments obtain funding for public works projects (e.g., bridges, stadiums, museums, universities)

Return to “Legal Employment”