Rejected by top choice for 2L SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rejected by top choice for 2L SA

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:33 pm

So I just received a rejection over a month after the screener for the only place I really had any enthusiasm whatsoever for working. Is there a socially acceptable way to write/email to ask "Dear Moron who rejected me, it's clear that you're looking for neither grades, nor top school, nor work experience, nor enthusiasm for your office. Since I now have to reapply during the Hellhole that is 3L OCI, what are you looking for?"

Cavalier

Re: Rejected by top choice for 2L SA

Postby Cavalier » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 pm

You know what they say about eggs, and putting them in one basket. If this was your only CB, you should be pounding the pavement in every way possible to make something happen, not wasting time venting your anger to a firm that rejected you. And if your grades opened up a number of options for you, then there was no reason to focus so heavily on one place at the expense of other available options.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I just received a rejection over a month after the screener for the only place I really had any enthusiasm whatsoever for working. Is there a socially acceptable way to write/email to ask "Dear Moron who rejected me, it's clear that you're looking for neither grades, nor top school, nor work experience, nor enthusiasm for your office. Since I now have to reapply during the Hellhole that is 3L OCI, what are you looking for?"

Given your post, I can see why you were rejected.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I just received a rejection over a month after the screener for the only place I really had any enthusiasm whatsoever for working. Is there a socially acceptable way to write/email to ask "Dear Moron who rejected me, it's clear that you're looking for neither grades, nor top school, nor work experience, nor enthusiasm for your office. Since I now have to reapply during the Hellhole that is 3L OCI, what are you looking for?"

Probably fine to respond saying, "I'm sorry to hear this, I was very excited to work for you, do you anticipate conducting interviews next fall for third-year students seeking post-graduation positions?" But drop the attitude, and then write the email, and then sleep on it and read it the next day to make sure you actually dropped the attitude, because they are not going to be impressed by your sense of entitlement here.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Um, to a certain extent, firms are fungible. Multiple firms do the same type / level of work. How is it that this one particular firm was the only possible firm for you?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Sorry for your tiny pink WLRK ding bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:57 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Um, to a certain extent, firms are fungible. Multiple firms do the same type / level of work. How is it that this one particular firm was the only possible firm for you?

Not a firm. I agree that if it was a firm, I could just bank on one of the other 100+ completely indistinguishable places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Not a firm. I agree that if it was a firm, I could just bank on one of the other 100+ completely indistinguishable places.

Addendum: It's not particularly an issue of not having anywhere else to work, because I've already got an open offer where I 1L'd for permanent employment. I just really wanted to end up at this place, and can't imagine anything else I could have done pre-interview to snag the job, as far as eitiher prep or credentials.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:03 pm

McKinsey?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:04 pm

ATF attorney?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:06 pm

You just have to roll with it and make the best of the opportunities you have. Looking for some orderly rhyme or reason in your interview results is a pointless endeavor. You can certainly call them up for some constructive feedback (assuming you contact them with the right attitude) but try and think positively regardless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:16 pm

kaiser wrote:You just have to roll with it and make the best of the opportunities you have. Looking for some orderly rhyme or reason in your interview results is a pointless endeavor. You can certainly call them up for some constructive feedback (assuming you contact them with the right attitude) but try and think positively regardless.

I'll obviously have to just pick something else, and I clearly won't contact them until I've finished the whole "Seven Five Stages of Grief" thing I've been doing the last two days. I was just wondering if there was any acceptable way to ask for feedback for improving my chances as a 3L.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:35 pm

I know exactly what you mean. Friend of mine with the same grades got an offer from the one firm I really wanted, despite having a lot less enthusiasm for the firm. Meanwhile I've ended up with "better" offers that I would definitely have turned down for this place. God only knows how these people pick their SAs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. Friend of mine with the same grades got an offer from the one firm I really wanted, despite having a lot less enthusiasm for the firm. Meanwhile I've ended up with "better" offers that I would definitely have turned down for this place. God only knows how these people pick their SAs.

OP. I know that most people are much more polite about it, but I can't imagine that it isn't infuriating for anybody who's seeing kids with objectively worse credentials get the jobs you want, when they're just using them as the backup to their backup plan, and openly flaunting them as such. It's like there's absolutely no semblance of reason in anything remotely connected to the legal world

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 pm

I bet it's Google.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:01 pm

If you see people with worse credentials than yours in every way get the job then you probably have a terrible personality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:If you see people with worse credentials than yours in every way get the job then you probably have a terrible personality.

But I thought I faked being a decent human being so well for that half hour. :(

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:30 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Wachtell or bust

erico

Postby erico » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 pm

pathetic.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:02 pm

You seem like a fucking entitled asshole. I would hate working with you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 pm

erico wrote:pathetic.

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:You seem like a fucking entitled asshole. I would hate working with you.

Thank you both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:You seem like a fucking entitled asshole. I would hate working with you.

Thank you both.

Yeah it's so entitled and pathetic for someone to be upset about not getting something in which he had been emotionally invested. Lay off OP. There isn't anyone who wouldn't react similarly. Anyway, OP was clearly asking a legitimate question that a few people have tried to answer here, no reason to hate just because your sense of humor doesn't match up with his.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you both.

Yeah it's so entitled and pathetic for someone to be upset about not getting something in which he had been emotionally invested. Lay off OP. There isn't anyone who wouldn't react similarly. Anyway, OP was clearly asking a legitimate question that a few people have tried to answer here, no reason to hate just because your sense of humor doesn't match up with his.

Uhhhh, no. Most people would not contemplate writing a whiny email asking why someone else was chosen over themselves because most people are not as entitled as the OP. Most people would accept the fact that law firm hiring is idiosyncratic and perhaps reapply during 3L. Thinking about starting such an email with "Dear Moron" makes you an asshole. QED: OP is an entitled asshole.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:53 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Uhhhh, no. Most people would not contemplate writing a whiny email asking why someone else was chosen over themselves because most people are not as entitled as the OP. Most people would accept the fact that law firm hiring is idiosyncratic and perhaps reapply during 3L. Thinking about starting such an email with "Dear Moron" makes you an asshole. QED: OP is an entitled asshole.

This is true, but it's also not what the OP suggested he wanted to do...

Return to “Legal Employment”