Why would anyone want to work in NYC if they want to do lit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why would anyone want to work in NYC if they want to do lit?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:16 pm

If given a choice, I don't see why any law students who wants to practice litigation would want to work in NYC. Unless you get a hard-on for securities litigation or other corporate influenced litigation, it seems like a no brainer to go somewhere else.

DC, LA, Chicago, SF all offer the same pay as NYC, with less taxes, lower COL, less crazy work hours, plus the work isn't derived solely from the incompetence of the corporate department.

Look at any of the big NYC firms and you'll see that with few exceptions they have way more corporate partners than litigation partners. Also all the litigation departments are way more leveraged than the corporate departments. The work you'll do is also almost exclusively going to be related to work for the clients of the corporate partners. And in NYC than means work related to the big banks.

Also note that in NYC, you'll always be a second class citizen to the bankers and other finance types. I personally see ZERO reason to be in NYC unless you have no choice and couldn't get an offer in any other city.

Bronte

Re: Why would anyone want to work in NYC if they want to do lit?

Postby Bronte » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:19 pm

No. First, a lot of people do have a hardon for corporate and securities litigation. Second, the top firms in NY generate their own work in the litigation department. Third, the DC market is notoriously hard to break. Finally, a lot of people think DC sucks and want to live I'm NY.

Eco

Postby Eco » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:29 pm

NYC is a great place to live.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Just don't do litigation. Problem solved.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:32 pm

You are spot on. I've been saying this for years. If you have the choice, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. DC is just far superior for litigation work and lit is something that you can find in better COL secondary markets if you don't want to live in DC. Obviously if you want to live in NYC but want to do litigation you should go there, but if you want litigation but don't have an interest in NYC there's no real reason to go there over other locales.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 pm

In NYC, you get to make less per hour of work and spend more of it on housing. DC is fine, but it's all about Chicago--cheaper city, better pay (at the top of the market).

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 pm

BruceWayne, is that you?

mths

Postby mths » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 pm

models & bottles

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:42 pm

1) I hate DC and LA
2) I don't have a tech background nor any ties to SF
3) I like Chicago, but the job market and the weather both suck compared to NYC
4) I really, really like NYC
5) There several multiples more jobs in NYC than any other city, and lots of people don't like to be unemployed
6) Saying that NYC litigators only work for banks is like saying DC lawyers only do regulatory work. In other words, it's stupid and incorrect.
7) Corporate litigation can be really interesting compared to, say, mass torts or run of the mill blue-chip litigation
8.) No matter where you live you are a second-class citizen to bankers and financiers, if you view it as a competition.

Shall I keep going?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:02 pm

There are people who actually choose to live in NYC and don't view it as a necessary evil.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Renzo wrote:1) I hate DC and LA
5) There several multiples more jobs in NYC than any other city, and lots of people don't like to be unemployed
6) Saying that NYC litigators only work for banks is like saying DC lawyers only do regulatory work. In other words, it's stupid and incorrect.
7) Corporate litigation can be really interesting compared to, say, mass torts or run of the mill blue-chip litigation
8.) No matter where you live you are a second-class citizen to bankers and financiers, if you view it as a competition.

Shall I keep going?

Anonymous User wrote:If given a choice, I don't see why any law students who wants to practice litigation would want to work in NYC. Unless you get a hard-on for securities litigation or other corporate influenced litigation, it seems like a no brainer to go somewhere else.

DC, LA, Chicago, SF all offer the same pay as NYC, with less taxes, lower COL, less crazy work hours, plus the work isn't derived solely from the incompetence of the corporate department.

Anonymous User wrote:You are spot on. I've been saying this for years. If you have the choice, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. DC is just far superior for litigation work and lit is something that you can find in better COL secondary markets if you don't want to live in DC. Obviously if you want to live in NYC but want to do litigation you should go there, but if you want litigation but don't have an interest in NYC there's no real reason to go there over other locales.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If given a choice, I don't see why any law students who wants to practice litigation would want to work in NYC. Unless you get a hard-on for securities litigation or other corporate influenced litigation, it seems like a no brainer to go somewhere else.

Anonymous User wrote:You are spot on. I've been saying this for years. If you have the choice, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. DC is just far superior for litigation work and lit is something that you can find in better COL secondary markets if you don't want to live in DC. Obviously if you want to live in NYC but want to do litigation you should go there, but if you want litigation but don't have an interest in NYC there's no real reason to go there over other locales.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:There are people who actually choose to live in NYC and don't view it as a necessary evil.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:50 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

dixiecupdrinking wrote:There are people who actually choose to live in NYC and don't view it as a necessary evil.

dedede

Postby dedede » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:54 pm

Because I only want to live in NYC.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:57 pm

I get that law students are very pragmatic and rational and all that so the obsession with COL is understandable, but I have never really encountered a community so resistant to the idea that anyone might reasonably prefer a different lifestyle. If you actually like living in NYC, then there's a good chance that no other American city will quite do it for you, cost of living be damned.

Edit: Also, though there are certainly many large corporate-focused firms in NYC, there are also probably more pure litigation opportunities in New York than in any other city. There are plenty of smaller places that focus on litigation, not to mention bigger firms where litigation drives their practice (Paul, Weiss, to give just one obvious example).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:1) I hate DC and LA

Shall I keep going?

LOOK, HERE CLOWN. YOU CHOSE AN ABSURD WAY TO RESPOND, GIVING THAT YOU IGNORE THE POINTS I MADE YOU DON'T LIKE.
Last edited by Renzo on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Renzo wrote:8.) No matter where you live you are a second-class citizen to bankers and financiers, if you view it as a competition.

Nah, it depends on the city. Roughly speaking, lawyers are secondary to:

SF - engineers/entrepreneurs
DC - high-level political staffers
Chicago - commodities traders
Atlanta - High school football players

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 pm

rayiner wrote:
Renzo wrote:8.) No matter where you live you are a second-class citizen to bankers and financiers, if you view it as a competition.

I meant more that if you feel like you are competing with bankers, you've already lost. But I take your point.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 pm

rayiner wrote:

You can add Dallas and Houston to that one as well.

SleekFire

Postby SleekFire » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:27 pm

rayiner wrote:

LMFAO! :-)

Return to “Legal Employment”