Boston Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Boston Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:08 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked at one of Wilmer/Ropes/Goodwin in Boston and talked to other summers from BC/BU. They told me that people from their classes had to be Top 25% or so to get a job. Cornell, Penn, and Michigan definitely place more than the Top 25% into big law jobs.

Michigan is virtually unrepresented in Boston, as is Penn (could be self-selectoin, but who knows). There were a few Cornell people in the summer class, but if you're looking at MVP range of schools and would rather do that than take the $ at BU, I strongly recommend taking UVA over the other two if you want to be in Boston.

Penn student here who can verify the self-selection idea. Here, it's NY/DC>>>>>>>>Philly>>>anywhere else. Out of probably 225 students doing OCI, it seemed like the same 10 or 12 students interviewed with all of the Boston firms, and each student has ties to the region.

I'd agree about UVA and Boston. Who knows why there are so many UVA lawyers up there, but I probably met at least as many UVA interviewers than any other school. That's not to say that M and P won't get you a lot of callbacks and offers though, it's just that there are many UVA Law grads in Boston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked at one of Wilmer/Ropes/Goodwin in Boston and talked to other summers from BC/BU. They told me that people from their classes had to be Top 25% or so to get a job. Cornell, Penn, and Michigan definitely place more than the Top 25% into big law jobs.

Michigan is virtually unrepresented in Boston, as is Penn (could be self-selectoin, but who knows). There were a few Cornell people in the summer class, but if you're looking at MVP range of schools and would rather do that than take the $ at BU, I strongly recommend taking UVA over the other two if you want to be in Boston.

Penn student here who can verify the self-selection idea. Here, it's NY/DC>>>>>>>>Philly>>>anywhere else. Out of probably 225 students doing OCI, it seemed like the same 10 or 12 students interviewed with all of the Boston firms, and each student has ties to the region.

I'd agree about UVA and Boston. Who knows why there are so many UVA lawyers up there, but I probably met at least as many UVA interviewers than any other school. That's not to say that M and P won't get you a lot of callbacks and offers though, it's just that there are many UVA Law grads in Boston.

Grade-wise, what would you say is required to have a shot at the larger Boston firms coming from Penn?

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:03 am

I should clarify a few things:

I am not guaranteed money from any T-14 nor am I guaranteed admission ED BU. I'm asking the question because I am not sure what would be best.

BU 's ED is all speculation at this point in time.

I'm a shoe-in for everything but MVP, and money is a concern (I believe I want BigLaw, but I honestly don't know. If I hate it, I don't want to be forced to stick around because of debt).

I am also very interested in clerkships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grade-wise, what would you say is required to have a shot at the larger Boston firms coming from Penn?

Honestly, median-ish. The bigger Boston firms have a lot of spaces while not being huge, so it seemed that the interview really matters, as does whatever need they are trying to fill that year (i.e., if you want IP and they just don't need IP, but you have great grades/LRev, they aren't going to call you back)

For sheer quantity of callbacks in Boston, though, you'd probably want top ~20% maybe. It's tough to gauge because people here just don't really talk too much about their grades or OCI results.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Honestly, median-ish. The bigger Boston firms have a lot of spaces while not being huge, so it seemed that the interview really matters, as does whatever need they are trying to fill that year (i.e., if you want IP and they just don't need IP, but you have great grades/LRev, they aren't going to call you back)

For sheer quantity of callbacks in Boston, though, you'd probably want top ~20% maybe. It's tough to gauge because people here just don't really talk too much about their grades or OCI results.

Boston is a lot about fit - ties + personality will take you from a school like Penn. Unlike NY, you can't really give cut-offs for firms (other than Ropes and Foley Hoag, which both seem to choose based largely on just stats).

GP/WH/Choate and others regularly reject those in the top 5% and LR from BU/BC in favor of someone top 1/3rd and on a secondary. I also know people who struck out in Boston from T14s even with some ties, and landed at V10s in NYC. I also know people who were a little above median at T10s who got GP/WH.

This is a tough choice. Honestly, I would ask yourself how debt adverse you are and how gung-ho you are about biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Boston is a lot about fit - ties + personality will take you from a school like Penn. Unlike NY, you can't really give cut-offs for firms (other than Ropes and Foley Hoag, which both seem to choose based largely on just stats).

GP/WH/Choate and others regularly reject those in the top 5% and LR from BU/BC in favor of someone top 1/3rd and on a secondary. I also know people who struck out in Boston from T14s even with some ties, and landed at V10s in NYC. I also know people who were a little above median at T10s who got GP/WH.

This is a tough choice. Honestly, I would ask yourself how debt adverse you are and how gung-ho you are about biglaw.

Thanks. I'm a 1L at Penn, and would love to go back to Boston.

jacksonmead

Postby jacksonmead » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 am

Friendly bump.

Anyone finishing up at OCI have any further insight into the Boston market? Would welcome opinions from boston and non-boston schools.

IAmNietzche

Postby IAmNietzche » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:20 am

Does Hinckley count as Boston Big Law?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:27 am

IAmNietzche wrote:Does Hinckley count as Boston Big Law?

Mid-size.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Take a T14. See if you can get any money from the T14 (which may be possible if you can get a full ride from BU. Also, you should do some searches in this forum regarding the Boston market. Boston College places better than Boston University in Boston biglaw. Either way, I wouldn't do ED to either if you can get a T14.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Take a T14. See if you can get any money from the T14 (which may be possible if you can get a full ride from BU. Also, you should do some searches in this forum regarding the Boston market. Boston College places better than Boston University in Boston biglaw. Either way, I wouldn't do ED to either if you can get a T14.

Being that almost every Boston firm has an equal split in amount of BC and BU students (confirmed for WH, GP has more BU than BC, and I think Ropes has more BC than BU), this is false and a typical TLS 0/1L rumor - and theres no way that we're going to hash this out again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:10 pm

i think this depends a ton on how you end up doing once you get there and also how strong your boston ties are. if you have top 1/3 grades and strong ties then you could do very very well at the big firms in Boston from a t14, but if you end up somewhat lower you could miss the boat for the big firms and i imagine it would be very difficult to get in with the midsize/smaller firms coming from a t14 outside boston, since they dont tend to interview on campus and mass mailing is a huge reach. even with good grades at a t14 you also might end up getting offers from much better firms outside of boston since boston firms have such smaller classes and are very picky about fit. i took M/V/P with no money over 1/2 ride at BU and everything worked out extremely well for me, but i can see how things may have gone the other way if my grades had been lower or if i didn't have strong ties. however, i imagine my options in other cities were far greater than they would have been coming from BU. i think the money issue is often overinflated as i found my biglaw prospects to be great at my t14 and have never stressed about giving up the scholarship in boston, but just beware if you're facing this choice that the boston market can be extremely finicky.

Return to “Legal Employment”