Background Check

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Background Check

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shoeshine

Re: Background Check

Postby shoeshine » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For future reference, if someone has a MMJ card, will it show up on a background check?
I am not sure about all kinds of background checks and it definitely varies by state but in Cali most of the background checking companies have started including this information in reports to their clients.

My friend runs a PI/Background Check firm and he said it used to be something they would charge extra for but it is now the standard in California professional background checks. I was very surprised that information was even public.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For future reference, if someone has a MMJ card, will it show up on a background check?
I am not sure about all kinds of background checks and it definitely varies by state but in Cali most of the background checking companies have started including this information in reports to their clients.

My friend runs a PI/Background Check firm and he said it used to be something they would charge extra for but it is now the standard in California professional background checks. I was very surprised that information was even public.

I have heard the opposite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 pm

i considered paying a company to run a background check on myself, just to check what dirt I have to prepare for. has this been done? or is it a really dumb idea?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i considered paying a company to run a background check on myself, just to check what dirt I have to prepare for. has this been done? or is it a really dumb idea?

Seriously? You have that much dirt that you need to see what floats up to the surface?

Consider me impressed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:20 pm

Would an expunged charge (minor in possession of alcohol) appear on a background check?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would an expunged charge (minor in possession of alcohol) appear on a background check?

A firm is not going to ding you for that. Get serious.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:49 am

shoeshine wrote:

u dumb fuck lol; 15 min of research

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:05 am

Your expunged juvie charges are gone. Learned from experience... lol. The background check is related to character and fitness. They want to know if you can pass.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Your expunged juvie charges are gone. Learned from experience... lol. The background check is related to character and fitness. They want to know if you can pass.

Even if it weren't gone, you'd be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:10 am

You can get a free background check through lexis. I did it, and it came back completely blank - aboslutely nothing. (I have an MMJ card). I know that medical records are completely private and I think MMJ cards are within that category.

I think the only thing that shows up is criminal history.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:You can get a free background check through lexis. I did it, and it came back completely blank - aboslutely nothing. (I have an MMJ card). I know that medical records are completely private and I think MMJ cards are within that category.

Care to explain how to get the free one on Lexis?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You can get a free background check through lexis. I did it, and it came back completely blank - aboslutely nothing. (I have an MMJ card). I know that medical records are completely private and I think MMJ cards are within that category.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:00 pm

dood wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

u dumb fuck lol; 15 min of research

Who is dumb?

Anonymous User

Re: Background Check - MMJ

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:31 pm

I am pretty sure having a MMJ card will not show up on a background check. Since it is medical (not criminal), it seems like it would be confidential.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

not quite sure. google it. or contact your school's representative. that's there job!

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:46 pm

just use the free westlaw one.

not sure the real way to do it, so i just go to "help" and search for "criminal background checks." it's one of those links.

OP -- I'm sure you're not looking for advice on this, but I think it's risky (career-wise) to partake at all. And it's not healthy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Has anyone actually gone through this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Has anyone actually gone through this?

Yes and it *did not* show up. Nor did anything else at all. It was a free background check offered by lexis, so i'm not sure if its the most thorough one out there, but if you're nervous, just bite the bullet and order a comprehensive one on yourself.

Return to “Legal Employment”