Was this year worst than last? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawdooder

New

Was this year worst than last?

Post by lawdooder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:38 pm

feels like it.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Re: Was this year worst than last?

Post by holdencaulfield » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 pm

No...and last year was not as bad as the year before.

lawdooder

New

Post by lawdooder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:No...and last year was not as bad as the year before.
u sure

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:43 pm

It feels about the same for me, probably better. Maybe it's better at the higher end of the spectrum? Where do you go to school? I'm at CCN and know so many people here with multiple V5/V10 offers even with so-so GPAs. Yeah, of course, I see some people ending up with nothing or only something at the lower end of the V100, but honestly, I think a lot of that is boiling down to poor interview skills (or very poor grades) on their part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:45 pm

this year was great for me. there are a lot of new shows premiering now and they are actually pretty decent, so that's looking positive, plus a great new restaurant just opened down the street.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:No...and last year was not as bad as the year before.
u sure

I'm sure about my geographical area. Don't you remember when big firms were laying off hundreds of associates and hiring zero summers? Meaning the firms that grads wanted to work at weren't hiring, and grads were competing with laid-off biglaw associates for the few desirable jobs actually available.

It's not the hay-day of 2005 or 2006, but it's waaaay better than 2009 and 2010.

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 pm

No.

PeanutHead

New

Post by PeanutHead » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Not even close

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Joint degree student that did 2 OCIs. Last year 3 callbacks no offers. This year 7 callbacks one offer so far and 1 ding. I don't know if its better than last year I just think I was smarter with bidding after doing two OCIs. Seems pretty much the same overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:17 pm

Aren't small firms (as in, not biglaw) still not really hiring?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:18 pm

It is difficult to get an accurate picture at this point. It's not like people who are doing poorly are talking about it often.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:23 pm

All of my below-median T14 friends have at least one offer at this time. The above-median ones are talking about choosing between S&C and Cleary. I think the hiring is up tremendously.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All of my below-median T14 friends have at least one offer at this time. The above-median ones are talking about choosing between S&C and Cleary. I think the hiring is up tremendously.
I wonder how the T25s are doing though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Seems like its going pretty solid. I have a pretty large number of callbacks (likely because I went overboard with mass-mailing and networking, though more is never a bad thing). The real elite ones seem to be out of my range, but the opportunities in general certainly seemed to be there for me. As a transfer student at CCN, I thought my results would be more in the range of a top 20-25% student at my new school, but my results look a bit more reflective of a median student, but I'm not complaining, since I have a number of solid choices, the best of which all came through networking and mailing efforts.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All of my below-median T14 friends have at least one offer at this time. The above-median ones are talking about choosing between S&C and Cleary. I think the hiring is up tremendously.
S&C won't even talk to people below the top 10% at the lower t14s.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:29 pm

+1

There are a substantial number of people at my school (CCN) with grades in the top third range who have something in the V5 (and some in the top 20-25% range who have multiple V5 offers). Also know a decent number of people who are below median (maybe even below bottom third) and managed to get into the V10/V15. It feels much, much better than I expected it to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:40 pm

minnbills wrote:
I wonder how the T25s are doing though.
I have a T2 friend that is killing it and isn't top 1-2% (more like top 5-10%, but last year that was unheard of).

Also, things look decent enough at my MVP -- not huge attendance at the "I don't have an offer yet - please help me!" session. I'm personally still offer-less, but I still have a decent number of CB's left to go, and at least one promising lead from a secondary market CB that I went on pre-OCI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:42 pm

This is actually pretty encouraging.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Maybe he didn't mean lower T14? I'm at CCN, and I know a couple people around top third (maybe closer to median) who got callbacks there. Although I've yet to hear back from them as to whether those turned into offers...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It feels about the same for me, probably better. Maybe it's better at the higher end of the spectrum? Where do you go to school? I'm at CCN and know so many people here with multiple V5/V10 offers even with so-so GPAs. Yeah, of course, I see some people ending up with nothing or only something at the lower end of the V100, but honestly, I think a lot of that is boiling down to poor interview skills (or very poor grades) on their part.
From the bowels of T2-ness, it is unreal for me to see someone essentially equate (or at least consider in the same category) getting nothing with getting "only" something at the lower end of V100. At my T2, literally 1-2 students in each class get a job with a V100. A few more get non-V-rated market-paying jobs. Another 10 or so head to midlaw/NLJ250. That's it...

Sometimes I feel like I am in an alternate universe from the people on this board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It feels about the same for me, probably better. Maybe it's better at the higher end of the spectrum? Where do you go to school? I'm at CCN and know so many people here with multiple V5/V10 offers even with so-so GPAs. Yeah, of course, I see some people ending up with nothing or only something at the lower end of the V100, but honestly, I think a lot of that is boiling down to poor interview skills (or very poor grades) on their part.
From the bowels of T2-ness, it is unreal for me to see someone essentially equate (or at least consider in the same category) getting nothing with getting "only" something at the lower end of V100. At my T2, literally 1-2 students in each class get a job with a V100. A few more get non-V-rated market-paying jobs. Another 10 or so head to midlaw/NLJ250. That's it...

Sometimes I feel like I am in an alternate universe from the people on this board.
Yeah, sorry if that came across as insensitive. It's easy to lose perspective. It's just that when roughly a third of the class is getting V20, a V80 or V90 or V100 doesn't look as hot. I feel like each law school is its own little bubble and, in a sense, the only people you really have as points of comparison for your own personal success are your classmates.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Most people with below a 3.2 at my top 10 are struggling--many have no callbacks. Anyone from 3.2-3.3 depends on a variety of factors. 3.4 and up are having a blast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
They are selective, but this isn't true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, sorry if that came across as insensitive. It's easy to lose perspective. It's just that when roughly a third of the class is getting V20, a V80 or V90 or V100 doesn't look as hot. I feel like each law school is its own little bubble and, in a sense, the only people you really have as points of comparison for your own personal success are your classmates.
I hear ya. I'm the transfer from above, and I remember there were times during 1L year when I would worry whether I'd have a job at all upon graduation. Now I'm at CCN and whining that I can't get V25 callbacks, when I have multiple V50 offers. Its insane how much my perspective has changed, and its actually a bit shameful when you think about it, given how lucky most of us are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:03 am

Top 5 students at T30 and I got a callback from S&C via mass-mailing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”