gap year between graduation and appellate clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

gap year between graduation and appellate clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 pm

I never got any district interviews, just COA. And the COA, as the title suggests, starts in 2013.
This is one year after I pass the bar.

I could go back to my law firm. But I'd rather clerk at a district court.

Is it way too late now to inform judges who show up as "available" on OSCAR that I've landed a COA court? Maybe this will incentivize them to interview me because then they appear as feeder district judges or something. COA is relatively prestigious (2/9)

What should I do? Should I send faxes/phone calls? Should I ask my COA judge to help me? What's the best way to approach her? She barely knows me.

Anonymous User

Re: gap year between graduation and appellate clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Yes, ask your COA judge for help. Have a list of district courts where you applied and haven't heard (but they haven't been filled yet) available in case you are asked. Just be polite. The judge barely knows you but they get the whole process and probably do something similar frequently.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 pm

In reality, sadly, 90% of what Oscar represents as available is filled. I even called a 2013 dist ct to which I applied that's theoretically taking apps through next year, to let them know I got the coa for 2012. The clerk says, thoughtfully, "well, I'll see if the judge is still interviewing." also, the judicial conference just announced a pay freeze, so know that if you do land a 2012 district, there will no longer be a bump up for experience in 2013.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm

For some reason, I'm very reluctant to ask. Is it possible/likely to get a D.Ct. clerkship *AFTER* a prestigious COA clerkship? I could use the 160k in cash anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 pm

is your firm even going to want you to start? my understanding is that they really, really don't like someone leaving after a year to clerk.

also, why won't you ask your COA judge?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is your firm even going to want you to start? my understanding is that they really, really don't like someone leaving after a year to clerk.

also, why won't you ask your COA judge?
yes to the first question. I just don't feel very comfortable asking. I don't know. It's like asking your boss for a recommendation before your first day at the job. What do you think? Help me out with why you think it's OK.

I'm almost feeling pathetic to say that hey judge, I'm not good enough for the district folks, so maybe you made a mistake hiring me. I know that sounds preposterous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 pm

It's not a recommendation though, it's that they might know who is still hiring. think of it more like, when you are moving to a new city for a job, asking your new boss for recommendations on what neighborhood to move to or whether they are familiar with any apartment brokers. I think it's okay and you should push through the uncomfortable in the same way that parlaying is okay... yeah, it feels awkward as fuck but everyone does it and it turns out okay. Don't ask your judge to get you a job, just say that you have this gap and you'd love to get experience on a district court before you start, does she know anyone who is still looking for a clerk or have any suggestions for you? If the answer is no, thank her and move on.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:24 pm

I hope you're right about the pay freeze, GTL. And yes, going from appellate to district is becoming the new craze.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:46 am

Does anyone know whether salary matching is still available? Apparently it used to be offered if you went from high paying biglaw to clerkship.

Also what counts toward the 1 yr experience? I read bar review and bar, or post grad publication. Anything else?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”