Bar Exam Reimbursement

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bar Exam Reimbursement

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:12 pm

I know many big law firms say they reimburse for bar exam prep.
Last year I paid BarBRI a deposit to lock in a certain rate and now they want another $250 from me by this month (current 2L) to keep that rate.

Assuming the firm makes me a permanent offer after next summer and pays for my bar expenses, will they pay the entire amount (including past deposits) or will they just pay the remainder of what's owed to BarBri?

Not sure if I want to make the deposit of $250 right now.

Any help is appreciated.

Georgiana

Re: Bar Exam Reimbursement

Postby Georgiana » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know many big law firms say they reimburse for bar exam prep.
Last year I paid BarBRI a deposit to lock in a certain rate and now they want another $250 from me by this month (current 2L) to keep that rate.

Assuming the firm makes me a permanent offer after next summer and pays for my bar expenses, will they pay the entire amount (including past deposits) or will they just pay the remainder of what's owed to BarBri?

Any help is appreciated.

I think usually they require that $250 be on the account in order to keep the rate (which would mean you just need to pay whatever is left to get to $250 after your first payment). Assuming that's true... Barbri requires a $250 book deposit that you get back when you return the books to them. Firms won't pay that $250 since you get it back anyway.

If you're paying more than that into the account, you can probably get it back from the firm but you'd probably have to pay the full price and then send the invoice to the firm instead of having Barbri direct bill the firm (they would probably just pay the balance in that case).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know many big law firms say they reimburse for bar exam prep.

Any help is appreciated.

I told my firm I'd already paid the BarBri deposit, and they told me they'd cut me a check. It's a fixed stipend amount that includes both BarBri costs and a remainder for living expenses.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 am

I haven't deposited for a prep program yet, is there any reason I should do that now / any benefit in doing so assuming I get a firm that reimburses for prep programs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Anyone have any experience how long this typically takes after submitting a receipt?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Bump. Anyone? Landed a biglaw offer in spring 3L and wondering at what point I should follow up with the firm after submitting paperwork...

Dafaq

Postby Dafaq » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:20 pm

Just phone HR and they'll set it up. Firms have a Barbri account, so it’s all handled between Barbri and the firm. Actually, I jumped the gun and paid Barbri $300 (it was a special deal where I received credit for $600) and Barbri sent me back my $300.

Return to “Legal Employment”