DLA Piper rundown

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DLA Piper rundown

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Huge firm, somewhat smaller summer program. Any idea what their CB:offer ratio tends to be in NY/Chi/DC? Or their general schedule for filling their class (late CBs screwed)? Even their approach to picking SAs (practice group specific, single pool of summers, etc) would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: DLA Piper rundown

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:52 pm

My CB wasn't that out of the ordinary compared to the others I had. I had a pretty enjoyable time during my visit. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Bump

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My CB wasn't that out of the ordinary compared to the others I had. I had a pretty enjoyable time during my visit. Good luck!

this is important can anyone else confirm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:05 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My CB wasn't that out of the ordinary compared to the others I had. I had a pretty enjoyable time during my visit. Good luck!

this is important can anyone else confirm?

I did a callback and can confirm that I really enjoyed my day there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Last year, I had a callback with their New York office. It wasn't enjoyable, and I thought they were a bunch of weirdos. I guess it was likewise for them, as I didn't get an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Had a CB in a secondary market. I for sure enjoyed it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Last year, I had a callback with their New York office. It wasn't enjoyable, and I thought they were a bunch of weirdos. I guess it was likewise for them, as I didn't get an offer.

+1. Well said - made me lol.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Oh man, if this was intentional, it might be some of the most awesomely subtle DLA Piper trolling I've ever seen. I love it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Had a CB in the NY office this year. Was surprised because I was expecting something horrible based on the amount of trolling about DLA on these boards, but everyone was cool and not weird and the office felt pretty much like every other law firm I've visited in NYC. Anyway the NY recruiting committee is apparently meeting next week for those who are wondering.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB in the NY office this year. Was surprised because I was expecting something horrible based on the amount of trolling about DLA on these boards, but everyone was cool and not weird and the office felt pretty much like every other law firm I've visited in NYC. Anyway the NY recruiting committee is apparently meeting next week for those who are wondering.

So you enjoyed meeting them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB in the NY office this year. Was surprised because I was expecting something horrible based on the amount of trolling about DLA on these boards, but everyone was cool and not weird and the office felt pretty much like every other law firm I've visited in NYC. Anyway the NY recruiting committee is apparently meeting next week for those who are wondering.

So you enjoyed meeting them?

hellz yeah I ~*~enjoyed~*~ it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Do you know what day of the week they meet? Next week as in the 26th or the 3rd?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:54 pm

If you guys enjoyed your callbacks, just imagine how much you'll enjoy working there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Do you know what day of the week they meet? Next week as in the 26th or the 3rd?

i dunno the day, but this week as in the 26th

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 pm

anyone hear anything (offer or ding) from ny?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear anything (offer or ding) from ny?

I heard their hiring committee meets on either Wednesdays or Fridays. Assuming all the information above in this thread is true, they met two days ago and will meet again the week after next on a Wednesday. I don't know how they communicate offers, but I suspect anyone with a CB before Wednesday would have heard by now and if not, then snail mail ding or waitlist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:29 am

I don't get the enjoy jokes...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't get the enjoy jokes...

"Enjoy DLA Piper" is a derogatory phrase said to someone who probably won't do so well during the hiring season. Many law students (and lawyers) look down on DLA Piper (for many legit and not-so-legit reasons). So telling someone to "enjoy DLA Piper" is essentially saying "hope you 'enjoy' working at a firm nobody really wants to work for since your grades, school, or interviewing skills aren't good enough to get a better job." Kind of stupid, but whatever. At this point it's more a catchphrase and easy joke than anything else.

The phrase had a lot more relevance pre-ITE since a lot of students at even T14 schools would be luck to get a job at (and enjoy) DLA Piper.

Return to “Legal Employment”