Withdraw from OCI? Help!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Withdraw from OCI? Help!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Help me with my OCI and offer decisions. I have a few offers that I am fairly satisfied with. One is for 6 weeks of the summer and will only do the first half, and the firm generally only hires 1-2 of the 4-5 SAs. The second firm is 8 weeks and is willing to do the latter portion of the summer (although they prefer the first portion). This firm also hires all/almost all SAs. The third firm requires the entire summer and intends to hire the SAs. I have 4-5 callback results pending (I expect mostly rejections and possible a couple more offers), and I have 4 CBs left to attend. As it stands, there are a couple more firms coming to OCI that I want to interview with (not major firms, but I might consider them). The problem is that there are also two firms that I no longer have any interest in but that I still have interviews with for OCI. In order to avoid those interviews, I will also have to withdraw from the two firms that I actually like. Essentially, to get out of the two I don't like, I have to withdraw from the rest of OCI. In the end, I probably wouldn't take either of the remaining OCI firms over the offer I have, but I'm not sure. Is it worth it to go ahead and withdraw from what's left of OCI (~5 firms left, interested in 2, not interested in the other 3)?

Anonymous User

Re: Withdraw from OCI? Help!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:52 pm

withdraw and let your classmates have a shot!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:withdraw and let your classmates have a shot!

That's pretty much what I'm thinking as well. Just didn't know if it was worth it to stick it out for the two I like.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:00 pm

I don't get this. Why are you agonizing over a meaningless decision? It is just 2 half hour interviews, plus 3 minutes of shaving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:03 pm

kahechsof wrote:I don't get this. Why are you agonizing over a meaningless decision? It is just 2 half hour interviews, plus 3 minutes of shaving.

Yeah, just do the interviews. If they'd wanted other students, they would have preselected them.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:03 pm

If you think there's a legitimate chance you'd take either of the two firms at OCI over your current offers, you should probably just interview with all of them. It sounds like you're pretty certain that you like your current offers more, though, and if that's the case it sounds like you should just withdraw from OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 pm

kahechsof wrote:I don't get this. Why are you agonizing over a meaningless decision? It is just 2 half hour interviews, plus 3 minutes of shaving.

Mainly because the only timeslot available for the interviews I don't want to do are during a class where I can't really afford to miss another class period (before the professor starts docking points).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Mainly because the only timeslot available for the interviews I don't want to do are during a class where I can't really afford to miss another class period (before the professor starts docking points).
...and you didn't think this was worth including in your OP? You realize that without this info, your post made no sense at all? (i.e., we are left to wonder what's so terrible about 2 low pressure interviews that warrant this kind of anguish???).

And even with the extra info, I still don't get the issue: can't you just talk to the prof? What more legit reason is there to miss class than OCI interviews? (Personally I wouldn't bother even with that but then I've never cared about attending class). Isn't getting interviews in order to become a lawyer the whole fucking point of being in law school and saddling oneself with a six figure debt?

Life is complicated enough, why are you looking for issues where there are none?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

...and you didn't think this was worth including in your OP? You realize that without this info, your post made no sense at all? (i.e., we are left to wonder what's so terrible about 2 low pressure interviews that warrant this kind of anguish???).

And even with the extra info, I still don't get the issue: can't you just talk to the prof? What more legit reason is there to miss class than OCI interviews? (Personally I wouldn't bother even with that but then I've never cared about attending class). Isn't getting interviews in order to become a lawyer the whole fucking point of being in law school and saddling oneself with a six figure debt?

Life is complicated enough, why are you looking for issues where there are none?

To answer your questions: No. I've talked to the professor. S/he doesn't excuse absences for interviews (yes, I realize how ridiculous that is). Yes. It is the point of law school, but that reasoning apparently is to no avail with all of my professors. Finally, I'm not looking for issues -- just thought I would ask for opinions as to whether it was worth keeping the interviews with firms I didn't want to work with.

BUT, it's all a moot point since, in the time since I made that first post, I've received four offers (not a bad afternoon :D ) and am going to withdraw from OCI.

Return to “Legal Employment”