Accepted offer, having severe second thoughts, now what

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traydeuce

Re: Accepted offer, having severe second thoughts, now what

Postby traydeuce » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm

nigelfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Talk to your Career Services Office. No one here is going to know what they're talking about. Unless they work at your Career Services Office.

Seriously? Have you actually spoken with a counselor in a CSO? They're almost as out-of-touch-reality as professors.

More so, actually. For example, a counselor told me I should call judges ahead and warn them that I had an exploding offer, and ask if they'd be willing to hire me on the spot if they liked me. Otherwise, I'd be wasting their time, because the offer was exploding. Now I'm a little nuts, but even I was like, "isn't that really presumptuous, asking someone if they'll hire you immediately before they met you - IF they like you?" And she gets all hufffy, like, "oh, you wanted my advice and I gave it! You should ask, they'll hate you if you tell them when you get there!" So I asked one of my recommenders and he thought that was the dumbest nonsense ever. OCS people just aim to please, they'll always be like, "just follow your heart, this is what most people would do but that's nice too..." Professors, on the other hand, are frequently assholes and will tell you if something's an idiotic idea. If anything, a little too prestige-obsessed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:im at GULC, there is no way they will be of assistance.

i just honestly feel like i made a mistake.

I'm also at GULC. Go talk to Neil--he's really great and has helped me a ton.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:54 pm

anyone else have input on this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:16 pm

does anyone know of anyone that has done this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:36 pm

bump

camstant

Postby camstant » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:45 pm

I agree that CSO is only marginally helpful for some things, but if it's bothering you that much I think that at the very least you should talk to them. It doesn't mean that you have to take their advice, but this is one of those situations they have probably seen before. Either way, it sounds like you couldn't go wrong in your decision, so I wouldn't worry about it.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 pm

camstant wrote:I agree that CSO is only marginally helpful for some things, but if it's bothering you that much I think that at the very least you should talk to them. It doesn't mean that you have to take their advice, but this is one of those situations they have probably seen before. Either way, it sounds like you couldn't go wrong in your decision, so I wouldn't worry about it.

They'll tell him he can never ever rescind because all they care about are placement numbers and their relations with the firm he'll be ditching.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Seriously, I know, actually know, not heard of, a guy having an offer rescinded because of something on his facebook wall. If that's the bar, what do you think they'd do if they heard that you did this? Don't. Fucking. Do it.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seriously, I know, actually know, not heard of, a guy having an offer rescinded because of something on his facebook wall.Don't. F---ing. Do it.

Tell me more.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:05 pm

kahechsof wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Seriously, I know, actually know, not heard of, a guy having an offer rescinded because of something on his facebook wall.Don't. F---ing. Do it.

Tell me more.

I also want to hear the story of the offer being rescinded because of facebook.

And I would like to hear the story of why you quoted him but then censored Fucking.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:07 pm

It sounds like you took the firm you like. Don't let a small difference in prestige shake you.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
kahechsof wrote:

Tell me more.

And I would like to hear the story of why you quoted him but then censored F---ing.

I always censor it. You may notice that I quoted only part of his post, and deliberately quoted f---ing so that I could censor it.
I actually had to write it in a LRW brief, and I think it was the first time I had ever written it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:08 pm

I think the situations are different re: fbook dude who had offer rescinded.

I dont think Firm 2 would pull my offer if I rescinded Firm 1's offer especially if I talk to them about it first.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:08 pm

kahechsof wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
kahechsof wrote:

Tell me more.

And I would like to hear the story of why you quoted him but then censored F---ing.

I always censor it. You may notice that I quoted only part of his post, and deliberately quoted f---ing so that I could censor it.
I actually had to write it in a LRW brief, and I think it was the first time I had ever written it.

But my question is WHY the fuck you censored it?

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
kahechsof wrote:

Tell me more.

And I would like to hear the story of why you ----ed him but then censored F---ing.

Agreed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:34 am

traydeuce wrote:I'm kind of confused as to which is prestigious and stable, which is the v15 and which is the v30, etc. And yeah, I'm at GULC and our career services office is a bunch of blithering idiots. Maybe Neil and Gihan are exceptions? Maybe Katy is? I hate Katy but she seems like she might be kind of aware in a craven prestige-obsessed way.

Talk to Neil, Gihan or Abe. Or better yet, talk to a prof who used to work in big law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:43 am

Both GDC and Sidley are interviewing 3Ls (at least this year...admittedly, that could change next year). Make sure to nail 2L year, and if you still have regrets after summering at the V30, contact the firms again and try to snag an interview.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:06 pm

On one hand I can't believe this is real; on the other it makes some sense. But your assumptions are wrong because A&P, JD, and Akin are all stable firms and their DC offices have strong practices. GDC and Sidley DC offices are great too but the Vault "prestige" rankings have nothing to do with DC offices and practice groups. Through Vault out the window when it comes to DC firms.

Unless I have confused this whole thread, here are facts and what you should be looking at: A&P DC is probably the most prestigious DC office on this list (and very friendly reputation); I don't think any of these firms are up and coming; these offices practice in significantly different areas and are known for very different things; A&P DC is one of the best antitrust shops in the country, while Sidley and GDC are strong appellate lit offices in DC; JD is very good with IP litigation and Akin has a strong regulatory practice that is even better in all things energy.

So which group did you pick again? I'm sorry I confused this and maybe had a reading comp fail. I think you may be making it harder than it seems. These firms are all strong, regardless of what the "Sidley is going under" crowd says. You are better off picking the firm with the people you like because when you are at one of these top firms, other things don't matter as much (unless you know what area of law you want to practice). Working with people you like is invaluable, ask anyone who summered or has worked in the past. Of course, you probably don't actually know how any of the people you met will be in the working environment just having interviewed with them and not actually worked with them yet.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:21 pm

OP should not rescind. Same market, will burn bridges. It just does not sound like a meaningful reason to rescind. There's another thread on TLS, put up like a week ago -- now THAT guy has a real dilemma where I can understand why people would advise he rescind (non-NALP firm, gave him 48 hr window to decide, shotgun approach, etc.)....on the other hand, OP here seems a bit silly to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:24 pm

It's called buyer's remorse. Suck it up.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:25 pm

gulcregret wrote:
"Sidley is going under"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:26 pm

I just accepted a V25 offer. No regrets. I am thrilled.

(should I mention it was my only offer? hee hee.)

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:27 pm

If you really don't want to talk to OCS, go to OPICS and ask them for advice. Not the same expertise and all, but they are excellent IMO.

Return to “Legal Employment”