Accepted offer, having severe second thoughts, now what Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepted offer, having severe second thoughts, now what

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:56 pm

edited
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Re: Accepted offer, having severe second thoughts, now what

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:58 pm

Why did you accept the offer in the first place? What are the reasons for having second thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted an offer but now am having major second thoughts about it to the point of losing sleep and thinking i made the wrong decision. havent cancelled my other offers yet, or signed anything, it hasnt been long, is it just downright horrible to rescind the acceptance and take the other one or should i just suck it up? i feel like i should be happy about this and i just am not.
Switch quick. Call and beg out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:59 pm

It is possible but extremely inadvisable to withdraw from an offer you have accepted. However, I don't think we can say just how terrible an idea withdrawing your acceptance of the offer would be without more information. Are you uncomfortable because of location (what city the firm is in), because of "fit", because of prestige, because of practice area or specialty, or what?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 pm

i have been going back and forth for a very long time on this. one firm's rep is on the rise, the other is on the decline but i like the folks at the one on the decline and they have a practice area i kind of enjoy more than the other. the other is just more prestigious and stable, that's all there is to it.

More details: same city (DC), one is a V15, the other is a V30. used to be peers, not so much now. morale seems higher at the 15. a bridge would certainly be incinerated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have been going back and forth for a very long time on this. one firm's rep is on the rise, the other is on the decline but i like the folks at the one on the decline and they have a practice area i kind of enjoy more than the other. the other is just more prestigious and stable, that's all there is to it.

More details: same city (DC), one is a V15, the other is a V30. used to be peers, not so much now. morale seems higher at the 15. a bridge would certainly be incinerated.

Prestige + stability + on-the-rise rep... Dude, chill out. You've got an SA at a V30 in Washington DC. You'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Talk to your Career Services Office. No one here is going to know what they're talking about. Unless they work at your Career Services Office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:05 pm

im at GULC, there is no way they will be of assistance.

i just honestly feel like i made a mistake.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have been going back and forth for a very long time on this. one firm's rep is on the rise, the other is on the decline but i like the folks at the one on the decline and they have a practice area i kind of enjoy more than the other. the other is just more prestigious and stable, that's all there is to it.

So, this is GDC/Sidley v. Wilmer/A&P/Jones Day/Akin (hard to imagine you're having these thoughts about W&C, others in V11-15 and V16-30 have negligible DC presence).

Sounds like peers to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm kind of confused as to which is prestigious and stable, which is the v15 and which is the v30, etc. And yeah, I'm at GULC and our career services office is a bunch of blithering idiots. Maybe Neil and Gihan are exceptions? Maybe Katy is? I hate Katy but she seems like she might be kind of aware in a craven prestige-obsessed way.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Dude you've got a great position, just take it and run.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:13 pm

I would be very concerned about burning a bridge with a firm in the same area as the one I ended up at.

an anecdote:

My sister works biglaw in CA, they had a summer associate who was doing a great job and was going to be extended an offer. Someone through the grapevine contacted her firm and let them know that said intern was a summer associate at their firm prior, got tanked at the holiday party and threatened to stab someone high up in the firm. needless to say he didn't end up with an offer.

Obviously this story is miles away from your situation but the only point is that you run a minor risk of someone at the firm you withdraw from taking an interest in where you end up and making sure that the other firm hears about your shenanigans.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:13 pm

This is your career. Probably easier to change now. Which is more important to you--a satisfying career or not being labeled as a "bridge incinerator" ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

So, this is GDC/Sidley v. Wilmer/A&P/Jones Day/Akin (hard to imagine you're having these thoughts about W&C, others in V11-15 and V16-30 have negligible DC presence).

Sounds like peers to me.
This is almost exactly the case. Have offer at one of GDC/Sidley and other offer (that I took) at A&P/JD/Akin. I don't think they are peers, one is definitely better. I am just curious about the fallout if one rescinds, does anyone have experience with this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would be very concerned about burning a bridge with a firm in the same area as the one I ended up at.

an anecdote:

My sister works biglaw in CA, they had a summer associate who was doing a great job and was going to be extended an offer. Someone through the grapevine contacted her firm and let them know that said intern was a summer associate at their firm prior, got tanked at the holiday party and threatened to stab someone high up in the firm. needless to say he didn't end up with an offer.

Obviously this story is miles away from your situation but the only point is that you run a minor risk of someone at the firm you withdraw from taking an interest in where you end up and making sure that the other firm hears about your shenanigans.
I think the situations are somewhat different.

Actually one of the people I interviewed with told me a story of accepting the offer than changing her mind and going to the other place so they have experience with this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:16 pm

minnbills wrote:Dude you've got a great position, just take it and run.
Yeah, it's not like you're talking about Cravath v. a solo practice in Omaha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Something else to consider: I was told by someone in my career services office (at MVP) that, here, if someone accepts and then declines and switches last minute and then doesn't get an offer at the end of the summer, that person is not welcome to participate in 3L OCI. I'm not sure whether career services would find out (and I'm not sure whether they'd actually enforce it) and if you get an offer and accept it you won't care, but it's something else to consider.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:20 pm

I think whatever you do you should make a decision quickly, considering you're holding onto multiple offers after having already accepted one - in a prime location - while many of your peers are still waiting on an offer.

It seems like you're overanalyzing. Just go with your gut and stop obsessing...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:26 pm

For what it's worth, our CSO tells people that the odds one recruiter will talk to another at a peer firm are better than 50%. I mean, they all want to know if someone they're all looking at is out to waste people's time/money. I would really encourage you to take the offer. There's no reason to roll the dice when you've got a good thing in hand.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote: This is almost exactly the case. Have offer at one of GDC/Sidley and other offer (that I took) at A&P/JD/Akin. I don't think they are peers, one is definitely better. I am just curious about the fallout if one rescinds, does anyone have experience with this?
Well, Sidley and GDC DC aren't the cat's pajamas. Depending on your practice area, A&P is likely the best of them all, and JD DC is on par with the others (I know 0 about Akin).

It makes sense that you would regret a decision. I did for a while too, but it fades (I took the more "prestigious" option and kept mulling over the decision well afterwards). Don't obsess over it - it won't change your career trajectory.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Someone through the grapevine contacted her firm and let them know that said intern was a summer associate at their firm prior, got tanked at the holiday party and threatened to stab someone high up in the firm.
Lol?

OP, I don't see how you could possibly be losing sleep over a v30 in D.C. That's a pretty big accomplishment, especially ITE. Congrats.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:36 pm

"Take it and go."

-Russell Peters

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:38 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Someone through the grapevine contacted her firm and let them know that said intern was a summer associate at their firm prior, got tanked at the holiday party and threatened to stab someone high up in the firm.
Lol?

OP, I don't see how you could possibly be losing sleep over a v30 in D.C. That's a pretty big accomplishment, especially ITE. Congrats.

Yeah, internal debates on prestige aren't a good reason to rescind imo. Shut your brain off and focus on school.

nigelfrost

Bronze

Post by nigelfrost » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Talk to your Career Services Office. No one here is going to know what they're talking about. Unless they work at your Career Services Office.
Seriously? Have you actually spoken with a counselor in a CSO? They're almost as out-of-touch-reality as professors.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”