Offer Letter Language

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer Letter Language

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Got offer letter from firm... Surprisingly it says that compensation for summer associates for 2012 is still being determined. NALP has the salary figures for the firm listed explicitly (doesn't say TBD or left blank). What do you think the best way to clarify this is? How worried should I be?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Offer Letter Language

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got offer letter from firm... Surprisingly it says that compensation for summer associates for 2012 is still being determined. NALP has the salary figures for the firm listed explicitly (doesn't say TBD or left blank). What do you think the best way to clarify this is? How worried should I be?

Thanks.

They all say that (at least 3 of mine did). Don't worry about it.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:58 pm

I have noticed that among the 160 firms, there are different weekly amounts listed on NALP for summers. Hmmmm.
Doesn't make any difference to me, since anything I make is coming out of my need-based grant for next year. I'm working BigLaw for free. Hmmmm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got offer letter from firm... Surprisingly it says that compensation for summer associates for 2012 is still being determined. NALP has the salary figures for the firm listed explicitly (doesn't say TBD or left blank). What do you think the best way to clarify this is? How worried should I be?

Thanks.

They all say that (at least 3 of mine did). Don't worry about it.

thank you. i just breathed a big sigh of relief.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:22 pm

My offer doesn't mention compensation at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:35 pm

my offer letter says that I must continue my academic achievement at or above the level I have maintained thus far.... that can't be really true, right?? I was under the impression that offers usually stand unless you really shit the bed.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My offer doesn't mention compensation at all.

It is probably unpaid then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Is there any way to ask about compensation without sounding like money is the only thing you care about? I got an offer at a small Lit boutique and they don't say anywhere what they pay. Is there a general convention to doing this? Sorry for anon but I have been outed on the site under my name.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:my offer letter says that I must continue my academic achievement at or above the level I have maintained thus far.... that can't be really true, right?? I was under the impression that offers usually stand unless you really shit the bed.

What!? BS! Which firm wrote that?

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:my offer letter says that I must continue my academic achievement at or above the level I have maintained thus far.... that can't be really true, right?? I was under the impression that offers usually stand unless you really shit the bed.

A decent number of firms have offer letters that say that. It doesn't necessarily make it true, and firms that do consider grades rarely have that level of rigidity to their offer evaluations.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:41 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A decent number of firms have offer letters that say that. It doesn't necessarily make it true, and firms that do consider grades rarely have that level of rigidity to their offer evaluations.

I know GDC is typically brought up - any others?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:30 pm

bump re: firms w/ "Maintain your grades" language

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:35 pm

lol enjoy Dewey

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:

lol enjoy Dewey

lol how did you know? is that the only firm that does this?? do they really???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lol enjoy Dewey

my letter specifies that my academic achievement must be at a level "comparable" to that which i showed them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lol enjoy Dewey

my letter specifies that my academic achievement must be at a level "comparable" to that which i showed them

bumping this - should I be worried about this?

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bumping this - should I be worried about this?

No. It's just a hedge so that if you totally shit the bed in terms of grades they don't have to hire you. Many other firms would do the same thing, they're just not as explicit about it (though some are - several of my offer letters had similar language).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Shamelessly bumping the compensation question. Can I ask a partner at a small lit boutique: "What is the compensation at the office: i.e. what is starting pay and is it lockstep, etc.?"

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shamelessly bumping the compensation question. Can I ask a partner at a small lit boutique: "What is the compensation at the office: i.e. what is starting pay and is it lockstep, etc.?"

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lol enjoy Dewey

I doubt they are the only firm but their language was almost exactly this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:50 pm

If an offer letter doesn't state salary they either aren't paying market, or they aren't sure they can pay market, and then you can count on having below market bonuses if you decide to work there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:01 pm

My offer letter says it's not determined yet but that last year was $3,0XX per week.

Also, nothing about maintaining grades. I somehow feel less stress in that regard being a transfer, since I don't have any GPA here and it'd be difficult to say that my GPA dropped when transferring into a T14.

The grade stuff, however, seems conflictory with people saying that coasting is allowable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If an offer letter doesn't state salary they either aren't paying market, or they aren't sure they can pay market, and then you can count on having below market bonuses if you decide to work there.

Calling flame. Have received a number of offers from firms that historically pay market everything and they all say some variation of this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If an offer letter doesn't state salary they either aren't paying market, or they aren't sure they can pay market, and then you can count on having below market bonuses if you decide to work there.

Don't think this is true. I've seen a number of offer letters from firms that will definitely be paying market that don't mention salary, grades, etc. Just, this is a formal offer, we enjoyed meeting you and would love for you to accept, call me if you have questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:20 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know GDC is typically brought up - any others?

GDC offer letter that I got said nothing about grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”