What's the Real Deal with Latham

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What's the Real Deal with Latham

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:20 pm

IAFG wrote:Co-summers almost always say no offers were "well deserved." And they have a big incentive to want to believe that. Otherwise they have to admit to themselves and others that their firm is being run by dickbags.

Not a co-summer.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:Co-summers almost always say no offers were "well deserved." And they have a big incentive to want to believe that. Otherwise they have to admit to themselves and others that their firm is being run by dickbags.

Not a co-summer.

If you're a junior associate -> same issue

If you heard it from a junior or co summer -> same issue

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:05 pm

What? No.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:

What? No.

+1. Most stories I've heard of why people aren't ultimately receiving an offer are pretty material. If a firm has a 85-90%+ offer rate, you can assume that there were non-economic reasons why people didn't receive offers. Those reasons may not always be "valid" in everyone's eyes, but the no-offers I've seen in the past were for pretty good reasons in my eyes.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:03 pm

I am, of course, not saying that no offers are always ( or even usually) not warranted. But of the ones I suspect weren't, people from the firm still swore up and down they were totally earned. So I take those comments with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:36 pm

edit in acknowledgment of IAFG's caveat ^

Knowledgable anon also here to call out IAFG's herp-derpage.
IAFG wrote:Latham poses the same risk it did 2 years ago.

Which is to say no more risk than any other firm. In 2009 Latham was highly leveraged. Now it isn't.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:edit in acknowledgment of IAFG's caveat ^

Knowledgable anon also here to call out IAFG's herp-derpage.
IAFG wrote:Latham poses the same risk it did 2 years ago.

Which is to say no more risk than any other firm. In 2009 Latham was highly leveraged. Now it isn't.

Every big law firm save a select few are hugely leveraged. That's the business model. How is Latham, or any other firm, less leveraged than before? If anything, I think more.

Latham just had the unfortunate coincidence of investing majorly in a field that imploded.

Return to “Legal Employment”