how to tactifully ask if a firm reimburses for travel? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how to tactifully ask if a firm reimburses for travel?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:25 pm

CB interview with a firm in upstate ny. I go to school in DC. Firm is a NALP firm, but through the email correspondence the recruiter did not mention reimbursement. How do I go about asking about this in a tactful manner?

Anonymous User

Re: how to tactifully ask if a firm reimburses for travel?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:34 pm

"Do you reimburse for travel? What expenses do you cover?"

Seriously. Not trying to be a dick, but there is nothing to tip toe about.

You guys need to understand that these are business transactions, and the more clarity, the better. Just ask. be clear, direct, and professional.

There are many situations that call for delicate handling. This is not one of them.

EDIT: I apologize for the somewhat sharp response. Sometimes I forget that most people on this forum are quite a bit younger than I am, and have less experience in the workplace and business world. I suppose I could have asked the same question at 25 as well. Things that seem obvious now weren't so back then. For example, I agonized for days on the propriety of negotiating the starting salary for my first job. Today I would pick up the phone and do it in a heartbeat if I felt an offer lowballed me.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB interview with a firm in upstate ny. I go to school in DC. Firm is a NALP firm, but through the email correspondence the recruiter did not mention reimbursement. How do I go about asking about this in a tactful manner?
Just ask the recruiter what their travel reimbursement policy is.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:12 pm

I've interviewed with a number of Upstate firms. If you want to PM, I might be able to shed some light.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”