A&P v. Hogan v. Akin (all DC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

A&P v. Hogan v. Akin (all DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:41 am

Hey all,

The results are in and I'd love TLS wisdom to help me make this choice. I'm interested primarily in litigation, though would be interested in trying regulatory. What I really want is a place that will be the most laid back office to work in (I appreciate that this in relative in biglaw), give me opportunities to do a bunch of pro bono work, pay my loans, and allow me to make the contacts to jump ship into fed. gov or PI (something like the ACLU) after 3 or so years. Also would be tempted by one that may look better for clerkships (though I imagine that's more applicable at the W&C level). From what I understand, the jump to Gov/PI requires as much real trial work as possible, and work that allows me contact with those orgs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A&P v. Hogan v. Akin (all DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

The results are in and I'd love TLS wisdom to help me make this choice. I'm interested primarily in litigation, though would be interested in trying regulatory. What I really want is a place that will be the most laid back office to work in (I appreciate that this in relative in biglaw), give me opportunities to do a bunch of pro bono work, pay my loans, and allow me to make the contacts to jump ship into fed. gov or PI (something like the ACLU) after 3 or so years. Also would be tempted by one that may look better for clerkships (though I imagine that's more applicable at the W&C level). From what I understand, the jump to Gov/PI requires as much real trial work as possible, and work that allows me contact with those orgs.


Granted, I was not looking at Hogan or Akin when making my decisions, but the bolded were my exact reasons for choosing A&P.

Office appeared very laid back. I visited on a Friday and felt very out of place with my suit on since everyone else was in polo and jeans.

All the associates told me about the pro bono they were doing and how A&P helps them in finding pro bono and mentoring them while they take the lead.

It's market rate, so no problems with loans.

I talked to numerous partners about their involvement with placing associates into government positions. They knew from the onset that my end goal is government work and they seemed to welcome that.

I don't know about the other two, but A&P is definitely a good choice for the above reasons. I'm definitely looking forward to next summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A&P v. Hogan v. Akin (all DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm also considering a Hogan offer, and I have some concerns about Hogan's business outlook.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=164418&p=4781388#p4781388

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: A&P v. Hogan v. Akin (all DC)

Postby rayiner » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm also considering a Hogan offer, and I have some concerns about Hogan's business outlook.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=164418&p=4781388#p4781388


I wouldn't worry about their buying out staff. Mergers create redundancies. That doesn't mean the firm is hurting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A&P v. Hogan v. Akin (all DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:38 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm also considering a Hogan offer, and I have some concerns about Hogan's business outlook.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=164418&p=4781388#p4781388


I wouldn't worry about their buying out staff. Mergers create redundancies. That doesn't mean the firm is hurting.


That's encouraging.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27893
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: A&P v. Hogan v. Akin (all DC)

Postby Kronk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:37 pm

I don't know how realistic getting an ACLU-level PI gig after working at a firm is, but I would imagine A&P would be good because it is traditionally liberal and Hogan would be good because it has a strong regulatory practice that far exceeds the other two.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.