5 partners at once - advice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaiser

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby kaiser » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

SleekFire wrote:
kaiser wrote:My very best interviews were those when I was dealing with a team of interviewers. The most I've had was 3, but I would love 5 at once. Gives you so many people to play off of, guarantees that there won't be any awkward silences, etc. And if you can maintain your cool and confidence in the face of 5 partners, they will certainly respect that.

So. many. jokes. What to say first? Ahhhhh it hurts!!!!

I figured I'd go for the ultimate double-meaning post :)

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:16 am

On a serious note, five partners at once does differ quite substantially from a one on one interview. When there are more partners, and consequently more pressure and chances for friction, it's easier in the first 5 minutes to blow your shot at being hired, so remember to take it slow and easy. I also find that it goes better if there is an even mix of female and male partners involved. Sometimes I find that if it's just all guys, things can get pretty aggresive and spiral out of out of control (just take my word for it). Unfortunately, it's usually mostly guys who show up to these things.
Also try and make sure you get to interact with all five partners on a pretty equal basis, and don't let one control the situation. Afterall, if everyone else doesn't leave happy, odds are you won't either. It also would help if you let us know if all five partners are going to jump in at once or if its more of a tag team thing, as the dynamics can differ accordingly.

Anyway, interviews like these can be long and are hardly encouraging, but just do your best

Good luck.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:30 am

Total Litigator wrote:On a serious note, five partners at once does differ quite substantially from a one on one interview. When there are more partners, and consequently more pressure and chances for friction, it's easier in the first 5 minutes to blow your shot at being hired, so remember to take it slow and easy. I also find that it goes better if there is an even mix of female and male partners involved. Sometimes I find that if it's just all guys, things can get pretty aggresive and spiral out of out of control (just take my word for it). Unfortunately, it's usually mostly guys who show up to these things.
Also try and make sure you get to interact with all five partners on a pretty equal basis, and don't let one control the situation. Afterall, if everyone else doesn't leave happy, odds are you won't either. It also would help if you let us know if all five partners are going to jump in at once or if its more of a tag team thing, as the dynamics can differ accordingly.

Anyway, interviews like these can be long and are hardly encouraging, but just do your best

Good luck.

Pretty good attempt with some nice references.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:43 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:On a serious note, five partners at once does differ quite substantially from a one on one interview. When there are more partners, and consequently more pressure and chances for friction, it's easier in the first 5 minutes to blow your shot at being hired, so remember to take it slow and easy. I also find that it goes better if there is an even mix of female and male partners involved. Sometimes I find that if it's just all guys, things can get pretty aggresive and spiral out of out of control (just take my word for it). Unfortunately, it's usually mostly guys who show up to these things.

Good luck.

tank u tank u. I'm here to help.
Last edited by Total Litigator on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

snailio

Postby snailio » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:43 am

Remember to use both hands....

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 am

snailio wrote:Remember to use both hands....

Unless you're a pentapus, it's going to take more than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:24 am

Total Litigator wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Good luck.

I'm not sure how the dynamic will work in terms of all jumping in at once or a turn-by-turn type of thing. The first block is 45 mins, and there will be 5 male partners. Looks like I will need to try and keep cool as I now expect the aggressive sort of dynamic.

How does one blow it in the first 5 minutes? Maybe I've been doing that cause Ive got 3 CB dings, 3 CB MIA. Thankfully, I've got a 4 more to right this situation.

And I GREATLY APPRECIATE the serious help. The only problem with the anonymous crap is that it entices people to just 'act a fool' and do stupid things - like laugh at penis jokes. Grow up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:10 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:I've had a callback with 3 partners at once and what I found helpful was asking them to compare each other's experiences and practice areas, particularly if they are from different practices. E.g. how does staffing tend to work in X practice compared to Y and Z? Are there personality differences between associates in X, Y, and Z? etc. This gets them all involved and talking rather than having you end up with awkward one-on-one conversations while the others are sitting there being silent.

excellent strategy! thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:I've had a callback with 3 partners at once and what I found helpful was asking them to compare each other's experiences and practice areas, particularly if they are from different practices. E.g. how does staffing tend to work in X practice compared to Y and Z? Are there personality differences between associates in X, Y, and Z? etc. This gets them all involved and talking rather than having you end up with awkward one-on-one conversations while the others are sitting there being silent.

excellent strategy! thanks

I had a 3 partners interview too, and I did some of this. And also some "I'd love to hear each of your perspectives on X." It went well and I got an offer. One thing to remember, though, is that having each partner answer each question is that each can talk for so long, and there are so many of them, you won't have the opportunity to ask every question/make every point you usually do. It can go by very quick. Make sure you hit your high points.

npe

Postby npe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Good luck.

I'm not sure how the dynamic will work in terms of all jumping in at once or a turn-by-turn type of thing. The first block is 45 mins, and there will be 5 male partners. Looks like I will need to try and keep cool as I now expect the aggressive sort of dynamic.

How does one blow it in the first 5 minutes? Maybe I've been doing that cause Ive got 3 CB dings, 3 CB MIA. Thankfully, I've got a 4 more to right this situation.

And I GREATLY APPRECIATE the serious help. The only problem with the anonymous crap is that it entices people to just 'act a fool' and do stupid things - like laugh at penis jokes. Grow up.

I too appreciate the "serious help."

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Good luck.

Um... honestly, don't take that advice too seriously... But yes, I think if we can massage the real creme de la creme out of my long post, it would be to play it a little more safe towards the beginning until you start to get a feel for what the group dynamic is and who the "alpha males" of the group are (aka who you need to impress the most, without, of course, alienating the others). But yeah, you don't want to start so strong at the beginning that you alienate the wrong interviewers. However, that doesn't mean you can't behave in an outgoing manner in the beginning that would not offend all but the most unreasonable interviewers, just don't do anything edgy.

Also, know how to recognize when the interviewers are kidding around and trying to see how you react to their humor... Afterall, they want to see if you're someone who they can work long hours with, to see if you're someone who can recognize the humor in things....
Last edited by Total Litigator on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Wait, this thread is about an interview?

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Serious advice:

- Do make eye contact
- Vanity: forget it
- Do ask questions
- Always remember to smile

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Objection wrote:Serious advice:

- Do make eye contact
- Vanity: forget it
- Do ask questions
- Always remember to smile

:lol:

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:34 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Also, this will probably come in handy.

I'm sorry but that product had probably the most entertaining "People who bought this also bought" that I've ever seen. We're talking 8 ounce "travel" liquid containers, Justin Timberlake's FutureSex / Lovesounds album, brass knuckle coffee cups (wtf), 50 packs of pregnancy tests, a book called "Anal pleasure and a Man's Health," rectal thermometers, and Yves Saint Laurent cologne, tissues, 20 packs of batteries, and extra large trash bags, and a 40 back of condoms.

Don't forget the Outback Steakhouse gift card. You're going to want a bloomin' onion or two when you're done with that shiznizzle.

I am crying from laughing so hard.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:47 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Also, this will probably come in handy.

I'm sorry but that product had probably the most entertaining "People who bought this also bought" that I've ever seen. We're talking 8 ounce "travel" liquid containers, Justin Timberlake's FutureSex / Lovesounds album, brass knuckle coffee cups (wtf), 50 packs of pregnancy tests, a book called "Anal pleasure and a Man's Health," rectal thermometers, and Yves Saint Laurent cologne, tissues, 20 packs of batteries, and extra large trash bags, and a 40 back of condoms.

Don't forget the Outback Steakhouse gift card. You're going to want a bloomin' onion or two when you're done with that shiznizzle.

I am crying from laughing so hard.
If you're doing it right, you won't need to go to Outback for that. Other than that no concerns.

Return to “Legal Employment”