5 partners at once - advice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:28 pm

I've got a callback tomorrow, and my schedule has has 8 partners and 1 associate - 5 of those partners are interviewing me at the same time. Ive done a fair amount of CBs already, but I have yet to encounter this.

Anyone experience something similar? How did it go? Any advice on how to handle the situation? Did all 5 ask questions or did one ask and the others make judgments? Anything helpful is much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've got a callback tomorrow, and my schedule has has 8 partners and 1 associate - 5 of those partners are interviewing me at the same time. Ive done a fair amount of CBs already, but I have yet to encounter this.

Anyone experience something similar? How did it go? Any advice on how to handle the situation? Did all 5 ask questions or did one ask and the others make judgments? Anything helpful is much appreciated.

This happened to me. Call me crazy, but I loved it. Just make sure you are fully energized. When you answer questions make eye-contact with all five. Also, a slick move since they will undoubtedly interrupt each other is to answer a question and then turn to the Partner who was just interrupted and say, "and in response to your other question:"

They will try to hammer you so just expect that going in.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've got a callback tomorrow, and my schedule has has 8 partners and 1 associate - 5 of those partners are interviewing me at the same time. Ive done a fair amount of CBs already, but I have yet to encounter this.

I would make sure to know which is the hiring partner and which partners are in the group(s) you're most interested in. I would make sure to have questions specific to each partner, but focus more on previously mentioned partners. Make sure you know all their names too, which is a minor point, but will be prob necessary to direct your questions. If they spend the whole time asking you questions, then should make the time pass pretty fast with 5 people directing questions. Just make sure to give all five eye contact.

Sorry if 90% of this seems very obvious.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Apply to some crappy regional district courts for practice. They're really into doing these interviews where their 3 clerks sit in tables positioned in a 180-degree spectrum of angles from your face. Actually though, the multi-interviewer interview can be fun, especially if they're aggressive. It's a bit like doing moot court, but less overtly adversarial.

npe

Postby npe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:39 pm

This thread is not nearly as sexy as the title suggested.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:47 pm

npe wrote:This thread is not nearly as sexy as the title suggested.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:53 pm

I've had a callback with 3 partners at once and what I found helpful was asking them to compare each other's experiences and practice areas, particularly if they are from different practices. E.g. how does staffing tend to work in X practice compared to Y and Z? Are there personality differences between associates in X, Y, and Z? etc. This gets them all involved and talking rather than having you end up with awkward one-on-one conversations while the others are sitting there being silent.

jim

Postby jim » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:55 pm

At least there was this...

Anonymous User wrote:They will try to hammer you so just expect that going in.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Wear protection and make sure you all can meet somewhere beforehand to talk out any potential jealousy issues.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Getting back on topic, thanks for the tips. very useful.

What does it mean when you say they will "grill" you. I have not had a CB like that to date.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Total Litigator wrote:Wear protection and make sure you all can meet somewhere beforehand to talk out any potential jealousy issues.

Also, this will probably come in handy.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:41 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:

who the hell orders lube 1/2 gallon at a time?

Postby 20121109 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:42 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:

Total Litigator wrote:Wear protection and make sure you all can meet somewhere beforehand to talk out any potential jealousy issues.

I prefer the full gallon glide, myself.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:

who the hell orders lube 1/2 gallon at a time?

Someone who's doin it right? :D

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 pm

tag for entertainment purposes, thank you all for distracting me from my failed job search

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

OP, are you able to ask upperclassmen who may have interviewed with this firm? Hopefully they can provide some insight on what to expect. Possibly talk to OCS/CSO and see of there are resources to let you know who interviewed/worked there last summer.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Thread met expectations

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:24 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Also, this will probably come in handy.

I'm sorry but that product had probably the most entertaining "People who bought this also bought" that I've ever seen. We're talking 8 ounce "travel" liquid containers, Justin Timberlake's FutureSex / Lovesounds album, brass knuckle coffee cups (wtf), 50 packs of pregnancy tests, a book called "Anal pleasure and a Man's Health," rectal thermometers, and Yves Saint Laurent cologne, tissues, 20 packs of batteries, and extra large trash bags, and a 40 back of condoms.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Total Litigator wrote:

I'm sorry but that product had probably the most entertaining "People who bought this also bought" that I've ever seen. We're talking 8 ounce "travel" liquid containers, Justin Timberlake's FutureSex / Lovesounds album, brass knuckle coffee cups (wtf), 50 packs of pregnancy tests, a book called "Anal pleasure and a Man's Health," rectal thermometers, and Yves Saint Laurent cologne, tissues, 20 packs of batteries, and extra large trash bags, and a 40 back of condoms.

Don't forget the Outback Steakhouse gift card. You're going to want a bloomin' onion or two when you're done with that shiznizzle.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:

Don't forget the Outback Steakhouse gift card. You're going to want a bloomin' onion or two when you're done with that shiznizzle.

That was not intended to be anon.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm

My very best interviews were those when I was dealing with a team of interviewers. The most I've had was 3, but I would love 5 at once. Gives you so many people to play off of, guarantees that there won't be any awkward silences, etc. And if you can maintain your cool and confidence in the face of 5 partners, they will certainly respect that.

SleekFire

Postby SleekFire » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:57 pm

kaiser wrote:My very best interviews were those when I was dealing with a team of interviewers. The most I've had was 3, but I would love 5 at once. Gives you so many people to play off of, guarantees that there won't be any awkward silences, etc. And if you can maintain your cool and confidence in the face of 5 partners, they will certainly respect that.

So. many. jokes. What to say first? Ahhhhh it hurts!!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm

redacted. those mods are quick
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Walfredo47

Postby Walfredo47 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

on a serious note, 5 partners at once should not affect you. The key is that the firm has selected this format because they feel it is most conducive to getting to know the associate. So, the best thing to do is have a conversation, and, I don't know, open up! Seriously, partners want to know what makes you tick -- my sense is that they will not likely be aggressive -- if they are, that's not a good way to recruit associates to their place. They want to learn more about you...if you have received a call-back and go to law school, I am sure you have plenty of interesting stories to talk about. Everyone is interesting, it's all in the presentation. Good luck OP!

Return to “Legal Employment”