5 partners at once - advice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:28 pm

I've got a callback tomorrow, and my schedule has has 8 partners and 1 associate - 5 of those partners are interviewing me at the same time. Ive done a fair amount of CBs already, but I have yet to encounter this.

Anyone experience something similar? How did it go? Any advice on how to handle the situation? Did all 5 ask questions or did one ask and the others make judgments? Anything helpful is much appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've got a callback tomorrow, and my schedule has has 8 partners and 1 associate - 5 of those partners are interviewing me at the same time. Ive done a fair amount of CBs already, but I have yet to encounter this.

Anyone experience something similar? How did it go? Any advice on how to handle the situation? Did all 5 ask questions or did one ask and the others make judgments? Anything helpful is much appreciated.


This happened to me. Call me crazy, but I loved it. Just make sure you are fully energized. When you answer questions make eye-contact with all five. Also, a slick move since they will undoubtedly interrupt each other is to answer a question and then turn to the Partner who was just interrupted and say, "and in response to your other question:"

They will try to hammer you so just expect that going in.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've got a callback tomorrow, and my schedule has has 8 partners and 1 associate - 5 of those partners are interviewing me at the same time. Ive done a fair amount of CBs already, but I have yet to encounter this.

Anyone experience something similar? How did it go? Any advice on how to handle the situation? Did all 5 ask questions or did one ask and the others make judgments? Anything helpful is much appreciated.


I would make sure to know which is the hiring partner and which partners are in the group(s) you're most interested in. I would make sure to have questions specific to each partner, but focus more on previously mentioned partners. Make sure you know all their names too, which is a minor point, but will be prob necessary to direct your questions. If they spend the whole time asking you questions, then should make the time pass pretty fast with 5 people directing questions. Just make sure to give all five eye contact.

Sorry if 90% of this seems very obvious.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby traydeuce » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Apply to some crappy regional district courts for practice. They're really into doing these interviews where their 3 clerks sit in tables positioned in a 180-degree spectrum of angles from your face. Actually though, the multi-interviewer interview can be fun, especially if they're aggressive. It's a bit like doing moot court, but less overtly adversarial.

User avatar
npe
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby npe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:39 pm

This thread is not nearly as sexy as the title suggested.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:47 pm

npe wrote:This thread is not nearly as sexy as the title suggested.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:53 pm

I've had a callback with 3 partners at once and what I found helpful was asking them to compare each other's experiences and practice areas, particularly if they are from different practices. E.g. how does staffing tend to work in X practice compared to Y and Z? Are there personality differences between associates in X, Y, and Z? etc. This gets them all involved and talking rather than having you end up with awkward one-on-one conversations while the others are sitting there being silent.

User avatar
jim
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby jim » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:55 pm

npe wrote:This thread is not nearly as sexy as the title suggested.


At least there was this...

Anonymous User wrote:They will try to hammer you so just expect that going in.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Wear protection and make sure you all can meet somewhere beforehand to talk out any potential jealousy issues.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Getting back on topic, thanks for the tips. very useful.

What does it mean when you say they will "grill" you. I have not had a CB like that to date.

User avatar
smokyroom26
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:39 pm

npe wrote:This thread is not nearly as sexy as the title suggested.


Anonymous User wrote:They will try to hammer you so just expect that going in.


Total Litigator wrote:Wear protection and make sure you all can meet somewhere beforehand to talk out any potential jealousy issues.


Also, this will probably come in handy.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:41 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:
Also, this will probably come in handy.


who the hell orders lube 1/2 gallon at a time?

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby 20121109 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:42 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:
npe wrote:This thread is not nearly as sexy as the title suggested.


Anonymous User wrote:They will try to hammer you so just expect that going in.


Total Litigator wrote:Wear protection and make sure you all can meet somewhere beforehand to talk out any potential jealousy issues.


Also, this will probably come in handy.


I prefer the full gallon glide, myself.

User avatar
smokyroom26
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:
Also, this will probably come in handy.


who the hell orders lube 1/2 gallon at a time?


Someone who's doin it right? :D

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 pm

tag for entertainment purposes, thank you all for distracting me from my failed job search

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
npe wrote:This thread is not nearly as sexy as the title suggested.


OP, are you able to ask upperclassmen who may have interviewed with this firm? Hopefully they can provide some insight on what to expect. Possibly talk to OCS/CSO and see of there are resources to let you know who interviewed/worked there last summer.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Thread met expectations

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:24 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Also, this will probably come in handy.


I'm sorry but that product had probably the most entertaining "People who bought this also bought" that I've ever seen. We're talking 8 ounce "travel" liquid containers, Justin Timberlake's FutureSex / Lovesounds album, brass knuckle coffee cups (wtf), 50 packs of pregnancy tests, a book called "Anal pleasure and a Man's Health," rectal thermometers, and Yves Saint Laurent cologne, tissues, 20 packs of batteries, and extra large trash bags, and a 40 back of condoms.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Total Litigator wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Also, this will probably come in handy.


I'm sorry but that product had probably the most entertaining "People who bought this also bought" that I've ever seen. We're talking 8 ounce "travel" liquid containers, Justin Timberlake's FutureSex / Lovesounds album, brass knuckle coffee cups (wtf), 50 packs of pregnancy tests, a book called "Anal pleasure and a Man's Health," rectal thermometers, and Yves Saint Laurent cologne, tissues, 20 packs of batteries, and extra large trash bags, and a 40 back of condoms.


Don't forget the Outback Steakhouse gift card. You're going to want a bloomin' onion or two when you're done with that shiznizzle.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Also, this will probably come in handy.


I'm sorry but that product had probably the most entertaining "People who bought this also bought" that I've ever seen. We're talking 8 ounce "travel" liquid containers, Justin Timberlake's FutureSex / Lovesounds album, brass knuckle coffee cups (wtf), 50 packs of pregnancy tests, a book called "Anal pleasure and a Man's Health," rectal thermometers, and Yves Saint Laurent cologne, tissues, 20 packs of batteries, and extra large trash bags, and a 40 back of condoms.


Don't forget the Outback Steakhouse gift card. You're going to want a bloomin' onion or two when you're done with that shiznizzle.


That was not intended to be anon.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby kaiser » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm

My very best interviews were those when I was dealing with a team of interviewers. The most I've had was 3, but I would love 5 at once. Gives you so many people to play off of, guarantees that there won't be any awkward silences, etc. And if you can maintain your cool and confidence in the face of 5 partners, they will certainly respect that.

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby SleekFire » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:57 pm

kaiser wrote:My very best interviews were those when I was dealing with a team of interviewers. The most I've had was 3, but I would love 5 at once. Gives you so many people to play off of, guarantees that there won't be any awkward silences, etc. And if you can maintain your cool and confidence in the face of 5 partners, they will certainly respect that.


So. many. jokes. What to say first? Ahhhhh it hurts!!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm

redacted. those mods are quick
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Walfredo47
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: 5 partners at once - advice?

Postby Walfredo47 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

on a serious note, 5 partners at once should not affect you. The key is that the firm has selected this format because they feel it is most conducive to getting to know the associate. So, the best thing to do is have a conversation, and, I don't know, open up! Seriously, partners want to know what makes you tick -- my sense is that they will not likely be aggressive -- if they are, that's not a good way to recruit associates to their place. They want to learn more about you...if you have received a call-back and go to law school, I am sure you have plenty of interesting stories to talk about. Everyone is interesting, it's all in the presentation. Good luck OP!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.