DC Housing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Housing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 am

Where do DC associates live?

sky7

Re: DC Housing

Postby sky7 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Where do DC associates live?

All over the city, NoVa/MD. You might want to be more specific in what you're looking for.

floggered

Postby floggered » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:21 am

sky7 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Where do DC associates live?

All over the city, NoVa/MD. You might want to be more specific in what you're looking for.

Very close to the office. Very, very close.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 am

Which office/area? The DC firms are not all located in one spot.

By the way I am interested in this as well. Working in the vicinity of the White House.

proverbs120

Postby proverbs120 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:10 am

First, almost every major DC firm is "in the vicinity of the White House" but I don't think living in that part of town is in anyway ideal. Metro, for all its problems, is a pretty good way to get to work in the morning.

So here's what I think (current DC resident)

For younger people, the city is definitely preferred to NoVa or MD. There are a few great neighborhoods where you can find something pretty affordable and close to the metro. Most of DC's firms are either on K St downtown, or near the Metro Center metro stop, and while there are apartments available near these places, I think you definitely get less than you pay for. Depending on how fat your wallet is feeling, and what sort of atmosphere you are looking for, the top neighborhoods in my mind are:

Capitol Hill-cool old rowhouses, very residential, relatively quiet, but in close proximity to bars and restaurants. Good local grocery stores/coffee shops and a few metro stops nearby. Lots of young-ish professionals, gets a little inundated by interns in the summer but not as bad as other places. If you've seen Broadcast News, a lot of the scenes take place on Capitol Hill.

Dupont-trendy, lots of bars, bit of a gayborhood if you're looking for that. Cool bookstores. Walking distance to Georgetown.

Adams Morgan-big night scene, don't live too close to the main drag if you need it to be quiet to fall asleep.

Georgetown-very expensive. Not for everybody but I think it's charming and definitely seems to promote a strong sense of local community. Lots of rich undergrads and lots of really rich middle aged people. No easy metro access, so keep in mind that getting to work is either going to require a)bus b)taxi c) 15 minute walk to metro d) driving-but traffic will be bad getting out of gtwn e) biking

U ST-good night life, really great food, close to places like the 9:30 club. Ben's chili bowl. Good amount of renovated rowhouses/new apartments around here. Lot's of young people. Close to Howard U. Seen as a neighborhood on the rise.

Rock Creek Park/Greater NW DC/Tenleytown et al-move here if you have kids, a healthy pay check between you and the spouse, and don't want to live in the burbs.

These are all the sort of "destination" neighborhoods. They aren't cheap, but they aren't NY-expensive either (although Georgetown can get close). You can live cheaper if you move up further into NE (H St is an up and coming area) and that just becomes a question of how comfortable you are living in a less developed part of town.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 am

proverbs120 wrote:U ST-good night life, really great food, close to places like the 9:30 club. Ben's chili bowl. Good amount of renovated rowhouses/new apartments around here. Lot's of young people. Close to Howard U. Seen as a neighborhood on the rise.

You can live cheaper if you move up further into NE (H St is an up and coming area) and that just becomes a question of how comfortable you are living in a less developed part of town.

I've been a DC resident for a few years, so here's my two cents...

The U street corridor is nice until about 13th street, then it starts to get dicey. H street is okay, but only to go out/party. If you venture off the beaten path over there, especially at night, good luck.

Good rule of thumb: stay out of NE (minus parts of Capitol Hill/Eastern Market). My gf lived near Howard U/Catholic U during college and had people (not college students) break into their cars/houses. I know plenty of people mugged and robbed in/around NE as well--even in "up-and-coming" areas.

Look, DC is a great city, but like any city, parts of it are dangerous. Unlike NYC, where most of the really dangerous parts of the city are largely relegated to areas like Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, etc. (mostly off the island of Manhattan), most of the really dangerous parts of DC are directly connected to the good parts. Admittedly, DC is gentrifying and on the frontier regions you can find housing at a great price, but as a responsible renter/buyer, know what you're getting yourself into. I love DC, but I wouldn't live in NE (minus parts of CH/EM). I'm a dood, and if living alone/with other doods, I would probably live in some of the border zones (e.g. eastern U street/Shaw, areas near Capitol Hill/Eastern Market, etc.). I wouldn't, however, live there with my gf.

Oh and PS, H street has good bars/nightlife, but it's far as fck away from almost all the firms in DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:54 am

I've lived in Dupont, and it's worth the price (esp. if you're making $3k/week), especially if safety is a concern for you. It is also an extremely convenient location for most firm locations because you can walk or bike (love Capital Bikeshare) to K Street/Farragut Square, etc, or you can hop on the Red Line, which takes you to most likely firm locations without a transfer (or you can transfer at MetroCenter if necessary). It's also very safe.

Depending on your firm location and your affinity for trendy/edgy and young neighborhoods, you might also check out Columbia Heights and U Street Corridor (following above poster's guidelines about where it gets seedy). Love that area.

If your firm happens to be off the Gallery Plaza/Chinatown stop, you could live in Penn Quarter and be super close to your office. I haven't known anyone who lived there because a lot of the stuff is expensive and mixed in with commercial real estate and the buildings are all new (as opposed to the 3 neighborhoods mentioned above, which are all old in a beautiful way).

dood

Postby dood » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:59 am

14th and P whole foods is the spot

PeanutHead

Postby PeanutHead » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Good rule of thumb: stay out of NE (minus parts of Capitol Hill/Eastern Market). My gf lived near Howard U/Catholic U during college and had people (not college students) break into their cars/houses. I know plenty of people mugged and robbed in/around NE as well--even in "up-and-coming" areas.

Haha, you must be a GW student, yeah? NE is not nearly as bad as everyone says, but you do have to be more careful than on the west side of town. That being said, because most people are scared of NE there are some great deals. I think that you are 100% safe anywhere west of 13th and South of H. If you are on a lower lettered street (like A or C) then I think you get an extra couple blocks that you can wonder east. Really all the way out to Lincoln Park is extremely safe in my opinion. Eastern market is totally safe, but parking down there is a b*tch when everyone filters in to the farmer's market on the weekend. Prices there are also extremely high.
North of H is still pretty dodgy, but I have friends that live there and say it is great. There are a couple of large luxury apartment complexes up there as well (Senate Square for example) that I believe have shuttles to Union Station.

Big Shrimpin wrote:Oh and PS, H street has good bars/nightlife, but it's far as fck away from almost all the firms in DC.

True, but then you live on red line which dumps out basically right on K.

I think that NE is great if you are a little older, but if want easy access to the big bars and restaurants then I would definitely go up towards U street.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:12 am

dood wrote:14th and P whole foods is the spot

My jam. I eat/shop there daily.
Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:47 am

PeanutHead wrote:Haha, you must be a GW student, yeah?

I'm not knocking your neck of the woods; I'm just saying it's not the most desirable/safe neighborhood in the District. Certainly, there are some dope spots over there. A buddy of mine lives behind Union Station in a 3-bedroom with floor-to-ceiling windows, SS appliances, modern styling, and a rooftop deck/pool straight out of Miami. It's incredible. He pays moderately (like ~1K/1.2K per person), but it's not the safest place to mosey around after dark (he's been jumped two blocks away). To be sure, I have on occasion meandered from his place down H Street while going out, but then again, I'm a fearless brosaurus. :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:38 pm

I wander around H street at all hours of the night (sometimes in a suit) and have never had any problems. Not saying it's the safest place in the world, but I think that it's generally fine and much safer than people think it is.

ResIpsa21

Postby ResIpsa21 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:57 pm

I just wanted to confirm most of what's written above. I would just say, if you are thinking about NE, then just go hang out near where you might live at ~11PM on a Friday or Saturday night and see if you'd feel safe living there. It's as simple as that... most of the areas listed above are pretty safe in NE, but if you're a skittish person / solo female, you still might not feel great about living there.

If you're looking for a hip or trendy place, definitely take a look at Columbia Heights. Its a great up-and-coming neighborhood with decent bars and easy metro access (though you're on the green line, which might not spit you out near your firm, depending where you are). There is still some crime there, but if you stay close to 14th St. you should be fine.

If you're more like me and happy to be close to the action but not right in the middle of it, take a look up the red line along Connecticut Ave. You can find pretty cheap places in Woodley Park, Cleveland Park and Van Ness near UDC, and you're on the red line which is great for getting to K St. and Downtown firms (except red line traffic gets pretty crazy sometimes). If you want to be in walking distance from ... well ... anything worth doing at night, then this might not be your cup of tea. There's really nothing fun or interesting to do up the red line anywhere past Dupont, so you're metro-ing south if you want to go out anywhere good.

I also wanted to drop a recommendation for NoVA, which is where I live now. It may not be quite as cool as living in the District, but if you live near Courthouse or Clarendon there is a ton of cool (though slightly more yuppie) stuff going on in VA, and in my opinion the orange line is the absolute best for getting to practically every firm in DC. Also, you'll find a much nicer place in VA for significantly less money. Again, NoVA is a more suburban lifestyle, so if you're looking for crazy DC adventures (U St. at 3AM, anyone?) then stay in the city.
Last edited by ResIpsa21 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutHead

Postby PeanutHead » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:11 pm

ResIpsa21 wrote: also wanted to drop a recommendation for NoVA, which is where I live now.

Although NoVa is not for me, I have to echo this for people in general. Arlington in general is very clean, has tons of tennis courts and sports fields and lots of nice reasonably priced apartments and townhomes. Alexandria is even nicer and has some killer places to eat but can get pretty expensive. The bars out there are all very clean and a little generic, but they are very safe.

Especially if you have a family to think about NoVa might be good for you.

colforbin

Postby colforbin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:59 pm

The above is pretty solid info, but try not to tie yourself just to the metro. I have found buses to be much more reliable/faster within the District. Even when a bus line and Metro line align (bus route 42/43 vs. portions of the redline, for example), buses are the way to go.

ResIpsa21

Postby ResIpsa21 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:03 pm

colforbin wrote:The above is pretty solid info, but try not to tie yourself just to the metro. I have found buses to be much more reliable/faster within the District. Even when a bus line and Metro line align (bus route 42/43 vs. portions of the redline, for example), buses are the way to go.

Uf, with the exception of the Circulator (which totally rocks) I have had horrible, awful experiences with the numbered bus lines. Maybe that's just because I can't for the life of me decipher WMATA's bus maps and so I haven't gotten on the right ones or something, but everyone else I know in DC hates non-Circulator buses as much as I do.

I can see any bus being better than the red line, though... red line can get seriously jammed during rush hour.

colforbin

Postby colforbin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:10 pm

ResIpsa21 wrote:
colforbin wrote:The above is pretty solid info, but try not to tie yourself just to the metro. I have found buses to be much more reliable/faster within the District. Even when a bus line and Metro line align (bus route 42/43 vs. portions of the redline, for example), buses are the way to go.

Uf, with the exception of the Circulator (which totally rocks) I have had horrible, awful experiences with the numbered bus lines. Maybe that's just because I can't for the life of me decipher WMATA's bus maps and so I haven't gotten on the right ones or something, but everyone else I know in DC hates non-Circulator buses as much as I do.

I can see any bus being better than the red line, though... red line can get seriously jammed during rush hour.

Haha I could go back and forth all day about DC public transit all day. Basically it all sucks, but the buses suck less. But it probably varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. Bottom line: get a bike. DC is a small town. I bike to work every day and it saves a ton of time and money. Quite a few associates/consultants/management positions here do as well which is nice. When/if I'm looking at firms, a pro bike culture will be a huge plus.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Thoughts on having a car?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Credited advice. DC metro pisses me off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Doritos wrote:Thoughts on having a car?

I summered in DC last summer and found it to be a hassle to have a car. While DC is definitely more of a driving city than say, New York, to find a summer sublet with a parking spot in the city will definitely require some research. It's not impossible, but will require research. As for having a car in the long-term, it's definitely doable (even moreso if you live in NoVa/Md) because you can just find an apartment that includes a parking spot or requires you to pay a little more for a parking spot. That being said, if you're going to be spending most of your time in the city, DC police give out parking tickets like candy, so be weary.

ResIpsa21

Postby ResIpsa21 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Doritos wrote:Thoughts on having a car?

I summered in DC last summer and found it to be a hassle to have a car. While DC is definitely more of a driving city than say, New York, to find a summer sublet with a parking spot in the city will definitely require some research. It's not impossible, but will require research. As for having a car in the long-term, it's definitely doable (even moreso if you live in NoVa/Md) because you can just find an apartment that includes a parking spot or requires you to pay a little more for a parking spot. That being said, if you're going to be spending most of your time in the city, DC police give out parking tickets like candy, so be weary.

In NoVA or MD, a car is fairly easy but it will get expensive. You will probably need a monthly parking pass at a garage near your firm, and rush hour traffic can be brutal (it will take longer than metro at most hours of the day). If you are living in DC, a car is very impractical.

Re: biking in DC, it's definitely a great option, but not for the faint of heart. I had a friend who biked to his job at DOJ every day, and he said every time he was in traffic he thought he was about to get killed. Drivers in DC are probably the worst of anywhere I have experienced... they're just as aggressive as anyone in NY or Boston, but they have absolutely no clue what the hell they're doing on the road.

Wahoo1L

Postby Wahoo1L » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:41 am

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that if you live in Virginia, taxes will be much lower. I believe DC's income tax rate tops out at 8.5% whereas Virginia's is around 5.75%. Depending on the location of your firm, the commute can be cut down to around 25 minutes if you live within a block or two of the metro.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:21 pm

1. Rent a sweet row house in Old Town, Alexandria close to King Street. I know several DC associates doing it.
2. When people give you crap about not living in "the district", smugly reply that you live in "the commonwealth".
3. Enjoy your lower taxes and statehood.
4. ????
5. Profit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:58 pm

sky7 wrote:1. Rent a sweet row house in Old Town, Alexandria close to King Street. I know several DC associates doing it.
2. When people give you crap about not living in "the district", smugly reply that you live in "the commonwealth".
3. Enjoy your lower taxes and statehood.
4. ????
5. Profit.

1. Live in Dupont, Logan, 14 St. Corridor, etc
2. When people give you crap about paying high rent, smugly reply "rent control bitches"
3. Enjoy walking to work, groceries, dry cleaning, CVS, bars, restaurants, and pretty much everything else you need within 4 block radius.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. Live in Dupont, Logan, 14 St. Corridor, etc
2. When people give you crap about paying high rent, smugly reply "rent control bitches"
3. Enjoy walking to work, groceries (e.g. WholeFoods), dry cleaning, CVS, bars, restaurants, and pretty much everything else you need within 4 block radius.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

TMFCR.

Return to “Legal Employment”