#1 Gig in Miami? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

#1 Gig

Greenberg Traurig
19%
Boies Schiller
30%
Weil Gotshal
18%
Podhurst Orseck
7%
Colson Hicks
2%
H&K
7%
White & Case
18%

Total votes: 182

Rootbeer

New

Re: #1 Gig in Miami?

Post by Rootbeer » Tue May 07, 2013 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My friends were having an argument over drinks about this.
Pal, maybe you should focus on the problem at hand.
Where did they put the Like button?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm

which Miami firms like to hire federal law clerks? I graduated in 2012, I'm currently clerking for a district judge, and my wife and I are moving to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale when my clerkship ends (she's originally from there). No ties to the area and I don't speak Spanish (is that going to kill me?). I'm gonna blanket apply to the national firms, but what are the good litigation boutiques that have a knack for hiring former clerks?

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Wed May 08, 2013 2:52 pm

The #1 gig is probably as a bench player for the Miami Heat, right? Just get to watch LeBron do his insanely efficient thing for 40+ minutes a game.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 am

Bump .has anything changed in the last year?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump .has anything changed in the last year?
Nope I was right in 2011
IAFG wrote:Trophy wife to billionaire.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

downinDtown

Bronze

Post by downinDtown » Tue May 06, 2014 10:40 am

IAFG wrote:
Nope I was right in 2011
IAFG = Ms. Cleo + Oracle.

And it's legally related if the billionaire is a lawyer, right?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue May 06, 2014 10:42 am

downinDtown wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Nope I was right in 2011
IAFG = Ms. Cleo + Oracle.

And it's legally related if the billionaire is a lawyer, right?
george clooney's fiancee is an NYU -> S&C alum so i assume lawyer spouse is the new trendy thing for the rich and famous

get on it kids

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:34 am

Bumping 1.5 years later...

Would love to hear if anyone has any updated input on best biglaw in Miami?

Salary has been pretty much covered (although wtf is with HK's non-lockstep ish?), so maybe we could touch on work-life balance (lol jk; although I've heard Boies and GT are worth mentioning negatively here even for biglaw relative to other Miami firms), partner prospects, specialties, firm culture, SA programs, anything else noteworthy?

Any more or updated info whatsoever would be sweet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:23 am

Anyone willing to say HK is just as good as GT these days?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:39 am

No, in every aspect, HK is a step behind GT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am

In Miami, it’s:

White & Case
Boies
GT

Holland & Knight

Everyone else (irrelevant)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In Miami, it’s:

White & Case
Boies
GT

Holland & Knight

Not so, at least for lit. Podhurst is way up there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Yeah agree with the PP. Podhurst is obviously great for plaintiff’s work, as is Colson Hicks. Black Srebnick for white collar (and non-white collar) crim. Hogan (and others) for international arb. Kozyak for complex commercial lit. In their respective categories, each of those firms is equal/superior to WC/GT/Boies Miami (though the lattermost is particularly strong for commercial lit). Gotta look at practice areas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:00 pm

No love for Bilzin even w/r/t Real Estate if you wanna be there long term? Heard they pay their partners better than anyone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah agree with the PP. Podhurst is obviously great for plaintiff’s work, as is Colson Hicks. Black Srebnick for white collar (and non-white collar) crim. Hogan (and others) for international arb. Kozyak for complex commercial lit. In their respective categories, each of those firms is equal/superior to WC/GT/Boies Miami (though the lattermost is particularly strong for commercial lit). Gotta look at practice areas.
So is HK the undisputed leader in anything or are they the Chris Bosh of Miami (tied with a lot of the leaders in multiple Chambers bands)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No love for Bilzin even w/r/t Real Estate if you wanna be there long term? Heard they pay their partners better than anyone
I’d put Bilzin below HK, Gunster and Akerman.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In Miami, it’s:

White & Case
Boies
GT

Holland & Knight

Not so, at least for lit. Podhurst is way up there.
They were asking about HK, so I just assumed corporate or RE.

Also don’t think it’s fair to compare firms with hundreds to firms with like 20.

But agree, Podhurst is good.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Out of curiosity, where do firms like Carlton Fields/Gunster/Akerman/Shutts rank in Miami?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of curiosity, where do firms like Carlton Fields/Gunster/Akerman/Shutts rank in Miami?
I think Akerman is the only one that pays Miami market ($160k). The others still pay $145k if I’m correct.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out of curiosity, where do firms like Carlton Fields/Gunster/Akerman/Shutts rank in Miami?
I think Akerman is the only one that pays Miami market ($160k). The others still pay $145k if I’m correct.
I believe Akerman only takes laterals...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I believe Akerman only takes laterals...
Is that true? I thought I saw some junior associates on its site

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:11 am

Info here is quite off. HK, Bilzin, Akerman and GT all start at 160. Gunster and Shutts pay less. Not sure about CF, but fairly confident they’re below 160 too. And the satellite offices vary—JD pays 160, W&C around 175, and KL, MWE, Weil, DLA, and Hogan are at 180.

As for lit, it’s too practice specific to generalize. Also, you shouldn’t really compare big firms to boutiques—they handle different kinds of cases, and often on different sides. As for real estate, GT, Bilzin, and Akerman are best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:03 am

sflyr2016 wrote:Info here is quite off. HK, Bilzin, Akerman and GT all start at 160. Gunster and Shutts pay less. Not sure about CF, but fairly confident they’re below 160 too. And the satellite offices vary—JD pays 160, W&C around 175, and KL, MWE, Weil, DLA, and Hogan are at 180.

As for lit, it’s too practice specific to generalize. Also, you shouldn’t really compare big firms to boutiques—they handle different kinds of cases, and often on different sides. As for real estate, GT, Bilzin, and Akerman are best.

I said Miami market is $160 because GT is at 160 and I think it has more associates than all of the firms with 180k salaries combined. JD now pays 170k.

I think all firms will have to eventually match the cravath scale (or milbank scale) to be competitive because more national firms continue to move in and offer cravath scale (which after like year 3-4 is significantly different than GT (I know of a GT senior who makes barely over 220)). A senior associate at a national firm paying market makes significantly more than nonequity partners at the 160 black box firms.

Also, Chambers rankings are probably best for everything. I agree you can’t compare GT and a boutique.

Even for Corporate, you can’t compare GT to anyone. Chambers has GT, HK, and Akerman as Tier 1 for corporate but there’s a huge gap between GT and the others in deal size. GT does a lot of large deals and HK and Akerman do mostly middle market. The other large firms don’t really do that much deal work from their Miami offices to really compare.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:28 am

Sure, the gap grows after first year. Obviously. But few make partner at the satellite offices. So your senior-associate friend “barely making 220,” has a much better shot a partnership. Also, nearly impossible to bring in work to satellite offices that require clients pay NY rates. Just won’t happen. And even harder when your business card reads “associate.”

Chambers is a good guide. Here’s the Fl link. https://www.chambersandpartners.com/guide/usa/5/12326/1. One should go by practice groups. Even by individual lawyers. Not what their out-of-state friends would think is more prestigious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:47 am

sflyr2016 wrote:Sure, the gap grows after first year. Obviously. But few make partner at the satellite offices. So your senior-associate friend “barely making 220,” has a much better shot a partnership. Also, nearly impossible to bring in work to satellite offices that require clients pay NY rates. Just won’t happen. And even harder when your business card reads “associate.”

Chambers is a good guide. Here’s the Fl link. https://www.chambersandpartners.com/guide/usa/5/12326/1. One should go by practice groups. Even by individual lawyers. Not what their out-of-state friends would think is more prestigious.
Good point. I think the large satellite offices charge NY rates which I believe are double Miami rates at the associate level.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”