#1 Gig in Miami? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

#1 Gig

Greenberg Traurig
19%
Boies Schiller
30%
Weil Gotshal
18%
Podhurst Orseck
7%
Colson Hicks
2%
H&K
7%
White & Case
18%

Total votes: 182

Anonymous User

Re: #1 Gig in Miami?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:11 pm

tfer2222 wrote:I think the answer has to incorporate what this said law student wants to do. If they want to stay in florida long term i think the florida-based firms like GT are probably the best route. However if they want to do NY work or go elsewhere eventually, then a firm like weil or boies makes more sense.
Seriously? Did you just say "said law student." Wow, pretty antiquated... ;-)

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 pm

White & Case transactional, Boies Schiller Lit.

No hogan lovells/McDermott/Proskauer love?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Don't know much about them but Colston Hicks but their website makes em look really sleazy. Seems like the ambulance chasing version of Podhurst.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Greenberg in Miami is 145 for new associates (the few that there are)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:07 am

You can tell people actually from FL because they will probably say GT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 am

My friends were having an argument over drinks about this.
Pal, maybe you should focus on the problem at hand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 am

What about Akerman?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Honestly, I don't think Akerman and H&K should be on the list... They are great firms, but not on par with the ones here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, I don't think Akerman and H&K should be on the list... They are great firms, but not on par with the ones here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:57 pm

this question is pretty much entirely dependent on desired practice area. For real estate? Bilzin or GT. For litigation? Boies. For bankruptcy? Weil. For cross border M&A? White and Case. For healthcare? McDermott. Wouldn't say there is one universal "best gig."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:07 pm

As someone who lived in South Florida for many years, the obvious answer is GT. They are Chambers Band 1 in almost every practice area. They dominate the Miami legal market. Yes, Boies, Weil, W&C have that nice vault ranking, but they are satellites in Miami. Who is turning down GT for another biglaw firm in Miami? Very few people, if anyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:I think the answer has to incorporate what this said law student wants to do. If they want to stay in florida long term i think the florida-based firms like GT are probably the best route. However if they want to do NY work or go elsewhere eventually, then a firm like weil or boies makes more sense.
Seriously? Did you just say "said law student." Wow, pretty antiquated... ;-)
Not really. Lawyers write like this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As someone who lived in South Florida for many years, the obvious answer is GT. They are Chambers Band 1 in almost every practice area. They dominate the Miami legal market. Yes, Boies, Weil, W&C have that nice vault ranking, but they are satellites in Miami. Who is turning down GT for another biglaw firm in Miami? Very few people, if anyone.
This is not true.

(1) Boies (Miami) is not a satellite; it used to be Zack Kosnitsky and merged into Boies. It has it's own clients and pays the same base salary as NY. (2) according to one poster, GT's starting salary is 145K. Boies is 174K + bonus (which according to ABTL had a median of 75K). I don't know about you, but I'd turn down GT. Boies is paying 100K more.

Between 160K at Weil or 145K at GT, I'd also be hard pressed not to accept at Weil. They are a satellite, but are very well regarded in the community (I think they generate their own work as well).

Even if I agree that GT has more "prestige" than BSF or WGM (which I don't), tell me where I can spend all that prestige?

It is hard to compare a firm like Podhurst or Colson to GT, b/c we have no data on salary. But in terms of community recognition they are on par with GT. In terms of doing substantive work, they destroy GT.

GT may have the Chambers rankings, but they are NOT the #1 gig in Miami. IMHO. :-)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As someone who lived in South Florida for many years, the obvious answer is GT. They are Chambers Band 1 in almost every practice area. They dominate the Miami legal market. Yes, Boies, Weil, W&C have that nice vault ranking, but they are satellites in Miami. Who is turning down GT for another biglaw firm in Miami? Very few people, if anyone.
This is not true.

(1) Boies (Miami) is not a satellite; it used to be Zack Kosnitsky and merged into Boies. It has it's own clients and pays the same base salary as NY. (2) according to one poster, GT's starting salary is 145K. Boies is 174K + bonus (which according to ABTL had a median of 75K). I don't know about you, but I'd turn down GT. Boies is paying 100K more.

Between 160K at Weil or 145K at GT, I'd also be hard pressed not to accept at Weil. They are a satellite, but are very well regarded in the community (I think they generate their own work as well).

Even if I agree that GT has more "prestige" than BSF or WGM (which I don't), tell me where I can spend all that prestige?

It is hard to compare a firm like Podhurst or Colson to GT, b/c we have no data on salary. But in terms of community recognition they are on par with GT. In terms of doing substantive work, they destroy GT.

GT may have the Chambers rankings, but they are NOT the #1 gig in Miami. IMHO. :-)
First of all, great post. Second, was that median bonus for Boies for NY? My guess is yes, which would bring expectations of Miami bonuses way lower.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is not true.

First of all, great post. Second, was that median bonus for Boies for NY? My guess is yes, which would bring expectations of Miami bonuses way lower.
Same poster here. No. If you understand Boies's compensation structure, you see why that is not true. Boies pays its associates 30% of what they bill. So your bonus is equal to 30% of what you bill minus your starting salary.

For example, if first years bill out at 345 an hour and you bill 2300 hours. you earn the firm 793,500. You get total compensation of 238,050 (30% of 793,500). 238,050 - 174,000 (staring salary) means your bonus is 64,050.

Adjust these numbers slightly up or down for variations in billing rates for clients and actual hours billed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is not true.

Same poster here. No. If you understand Boies's compensation structure, you see why that is not true. Boies pays its associates 30% of what they bill. So your bonus is equal to 30% of what you bill minus your starting salary.

For example, if first years bill out at 345 an hour and you bill 2300 hours. you earn the firm 793,500. You get total compensation of 238,050 (30% of 793,500). 238,050 - 174,000 (staring salary) means your bonus is 64,050.

Adjust these numbers slightly up or down for variations in billing rates for clients and actual hours billed.
You're awesome. Anyone able to contribute more info for bonuses in Miami?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:42 pm

So? Is the victor Boies?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:15 pm

How are the top gigs offices with 30 lawyers? Seems like people are voting based on national rank.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are the top gigs offices with 30 lawyers? Seems like people are voting based on national rank.
Welcome to TLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:33 am

Based on NALP, I just thought I'd try to revive this great thread:

Boies 174
Weil 160
Foley 145
Hunton 145
Mcdermott 145
White 135
Akerman 135
Shook 130
Carlton 130
Baker Mck 130
Stearns 125
HK 125
Bilzin 125
Squire 120
Gunster 120

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:12 am

IAFG wrote:Trophy wife to billionaire.

One of my friends in high school actually did this, and in Miami, too. She went out to NYC for a weekend vacation, met this 40-year-old entrepeuneur, and they spend their summers in NY and winters in Miami. I was in Miami last winter for a weekend for an extracurricular thing, and she's just like, "Oh, yeah, take your team on down to the Viceroy Hotel, we're in so-and-so penthouse suite celebrating so-and-so's birthday." I'm like, :shock: "I don't think we'd fit in very well with our Men's Warehouse suits, but thanks for the invite..."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 2:46 am

vincanity1 wrote:Based on NALP, I just thought I'd try to revive this great thread:

Boies 174
Weil 160
Foley 145
Hunton 145
Mcdermott 145
White 135
Akerman 135
Shook 130
Carlton 130
Baker Mck 130
Stearns 125
HK 125