Extending Offer Deadline for Public Interest Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Extending Offer Deadline for Public Interest Search

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm a 3L and have an offer from a v10 in New York. Before I got an offer, I applied to some state government and public interest legal jobs because that's where my real passion is. These places will definitely not get back to me by the firm's deadline. I'd like to ask the firm to make good on the NALP guideline that recommends firms to extend offer deadlines pending public interest searches (the exact language is: "Candidates may request that an employer extend the deadline to accept the employer’s offer until as late as April 1 if the candidate is actively pursuing positions with public interest or government organizations," http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinc ... _Employers).

Has anyone tried to do this before? If so, were you successful? Did you speak with the hiring dept/recruiting, or a hiring partner? How'd you phrase it?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Extending Offer Deadline for Public Interest Search

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Kind of a late response, but I know someone who got a V5 to hold their offer open indefinitely (until January 1 with the possibility of extending) while they wait to hear back from government positions for next summer. Absolutely possible. Just be sure that you've made clear that they're the only firm you're still interested in, and turn down your other offers, if you have them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:11 pm

I've heard of people successfully getting their offers extended, but I've never heard of one of them actually returning to the firm either by choice or because the PI search didn't pan out. I think firms would happily do this but if you do end up at the firm later... it'll be held against you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:34 pm

this is just one story, of course, but i know someone who got a v15 offer extended well into spring for a public interest search. that search didn't pan out (it was during the downturn), and that person ended up at the firm and has been working there happily for a few years. so yes, it's possible, and no, i don't think it'll be held against you if you do end up at the firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”