(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Shearman & Sterling or Seward & Kissel

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:36 pm

OP here: I should add that I liked who I interviewed with at each firm. Both offices seemed nice too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Recently interviewed at both of these as well and liked the people at both. I think if you're not set on hedge funds, Shearman might be the better pick- much better established in those transactional practice areas and the prestige factor might open more future big law doors for lateraling. Also just wondering what was your CB-offer turnaround time at both firms if you don't mind sharing. Thanks!

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 pm

You've got two different paths here. What do you value most highly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:15 pm

OP here. The poll is running 7:1 in favor of Shearman. How is this so cut and dry?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. The poll is running 7:1 in favor of Shearman. How is this so cut and dry?

Now it's 11:1. What makes this choice so clear to everyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 am

I think it's either vault ranking or that whole 1/4 v. 4/4 thing.

Go where you'd be happier -- Seward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it's either vault ranking or that whole 1/4 v. 4/4 thing.

Thanks, but what if I don't really like hedge fund work? Also, I didn't mention this, but both firms pay 160k.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think it's either vault ranking or that whole 1/4 v. 4/4 thing.

Thanks, but what if I don't really like hedge fund work? Also, I didn't mention this, but both firms pay 160k.

I think you answered your own question- you seem more set on Shearman's well-established practice areas. You said you liked the people and the office there as well- it would be a different story if you had gotten bad vibes from one firm. If you know you want biglaw, like the people and are more drawn to the work, I think you have your answer and the poll seems to back that up. But that's just my opinion, good luck to you and congrats on your offers.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:49 am

Regarding the lop-sided poll results: Shearman is simply a "better," more established firm than Seward. By better, I simply mean it works on more high profile matters and can command higher premiums for its work. I would imagine that Seward's bread and butter is more middle market transactions while Shearman is more of a top market player. These are two very different firms. Go to the firms websites and review their recent deals. FWIW, I am not sold on the idea that top market firms necessarily provide better experience. It will be different experience.

Something that struck me was the fact that OP wants to remain at a law firm for his entire career (an interesting statement given that OP hasn't been an associate at a law firm and doesn't really know what associate life is like, but that is a side discussion). If OP is convinced law firm life is where s/he wants to be, then I think you have to consider Seward. It is likely that leverage is less and also less likely that the firm is built on a pyramid model (which is the case with most NYC firms). Also, Seward is a Boston firm and Shearman is a NY/international firm. This is going to translate into different clients and different life/work balances. Also, I don't think Shearman does much hedge fund work. So if that is a desire, then it may make sense to look elsewhere.

Finally, as a law school student, it would behoove you to dig deeper into salary information. Almost all firms in NYC pay $160k as a starting salary. However, as one progresses up in seniority, there are vastly different pay structures in place. Many firms pay traditional NYC market, but many firms (even NYC based firms) don't. There is a significant chunk of firms that have essentially decided to compress mid/senior associate salaries by one class year (i.e., so as a 4th year instead of making $210k, you make $185k or have instituted slight decreases from market, say $200k). Again, I'm not sure this is the end all and be all, but firms that pay $160k to first years are not all created equal in terms of pay.

Return to “Legal Employment”