Texas Split

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now that everybody has whipped it out and measured, can we get the thread back on topic?

What about doing 8 weeks at the first half firm and 6 at the second half? Is this possible or must it be 6 or 10 at the first half firm?

*anon b/c I'm thinking about something like this after my second half firm told me they are very flexible about my start date.

If the first firm has a program that runs 8 weeks, then I don't know why you couldn't go 8 and then 6. I think there are a few first half firms that run a first half program that runs 8 weeks. I think all they want is you to 1) start there and 2) Do a minimum of 6 weeks. They should have no problem with you wanting to do the full 8 weeks (and they probably encourage it).

First half program is 10 weeks, minimum 6. Second half is with a small boutique that does 6 week only. Second half class is small and the firm specifically told me they are flexible about my start date if necessary to accommodate my first half firm. Either way, they said they didn't care when I start as long as it is after July X.

I'm wondering if it would be kosher to ask to do 8 at the first half firm?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:14 am

Two of the above from the recent exchange were me, sorry

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now that everybody has whipped it out and measured, can we get the thread back on topic?

What about doing 8 weeks at the first half firm and 6 at the second half? Is this possible or must it be 6 or 10 at the first half firm?

*anon b/c I'm thinking about something like this after my second half firm told me they are very flexible about my start date.

If the first firm has a program that runs 8 weeks, then I don't know why you couldn't go 8 and then 6. I think there are a few first half firms that run a first half program that runs 8 weeks. I think all they want is you to 1) start there and 2) Do a minimum of 6 weeks. They should have no problem with you wanting to do the full 8 weeks (and they probably encourage it).

First half program is 10 weeks, minimum 6. Second half is with a small boutique that does 6 week only. Second half class is small and the firm specifically told me they are flexible about my start date if necessary to accommodate my first half firm. Either way, they said they didn't care when I start as long as it is after July X.

I'm wondering if it would be kosher to ask to do 8 at the first half firm?

I don't know why it wouldn't. Is there some reason you think they want you to either do 10 or 6? (And nothing in between?) Most firms I thought were pretty flexible in the amount of weeks you wanted, as long as it was within the week range of their program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:21 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Is there some reason you think they want you to either do 10 or 6? (And nothing in between?)

The offer letter is ambiguous on the question. It just says "10 weeks, minimum of 6." I'm just being overly cautious about this. I'll call recruiting.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:28 am

Jericwithers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No kidding. You're misrepresenting the shit out of the legal market while you're at it. Latham is, no doubt, a burgeoning power in the Houston legal market, but to claim it's the top in Texas is ignorant.

Who is challenging Latham with their work? T4 is BB, VE, Akin, and Latham. We all know Dallas is irrelevant at best, anyways, so hayboo would just be mentioned for the lulz.

If you're trying to say Latham does great transactional work and is definitely up and coming, yeah sure. If you're saying anyone recognizes Latham as one of the "Big Three" in Texas, I don't think so. I'll admit they got some great new partners as a foundation, work extremely hard, and have a badass new office lol, but still a bit too early to change what has been traditionally known as the "Big Three" for....decades.

AK, Bracewell, Jones Day, etc. have strong transactional practices too. Not saying better, but competitors/challengers (setting aside the BB, VE, and Akin you mentioned).

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Is there some reason you think they want you to either do 10 or 6? (And nothing in between?)

The offer letter is ambiguous on the question. It just says "10 weeks, minimum of 6." I'm just being overly cautious about this. I'll call recruiting.

Call recruiting to be sure. I know some firms mean 6, others (recently changed?) allow up to 10.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:46 am

Firm I worked with had minimum 6, max 10 weeks. Had people leave after week 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

lightbulb1986

Postby lightbulb1986 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:40 am

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:52 am

lightbulb1986 wrote:why all the fulbright hate?

I think Jericwithers got rejected by them or something. This thread is really funny.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:38 am

BeenDidThat wrote:
lightbulb1986 wrote:why all the fulbright hate?

I think Jericwithers got rejected by them or something. This thread is really funny.

Indeed, I still have the sticker they gave as a parting gift from OCI on my phone.

Return to “Legal Employment”