Texas Split

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Wondering peoples thoughts on Splitting in Texas assuming you have an offer at a 2nd Half summer firm and 1st half. My school has told me it might hurt my chances of an offer at the firms if they know i am splitting. Do people think that is true in Texas? Should I just pick one?

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering peoples thoughts on Splitting in Texas assuming you have an offer at a 2nd Half summer firm and 1st half. My school has told me it might hurt my chances of an offer at the firms if they know i am splitting. Do people think that is true in Texas? Should I just pick one?


Use the search function.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:48 pm

The conventional wisdom at UT is that it absolutely does not hurt your chances. Especially since many of the TX firms only let you stay for 6-8 weeks, many expect their top recruits to be splitting. I split 1L summer and got offers to come back to both; all the 2Ls at my first half firm split, and all I have spoken to since school started got offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Thank you! (To the person with the extremely helpful response "Use the Search Function" -- The search function works like crap on this site and I didn't find any specific answer on hurting chances).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The conventional wisdom at UT is that it absolutely does not hurt your chances. Especially since many of the TX firms only let you stay for 6-8 weeks, many expect their top recruits to be splitting. I split 1L summer and got offers to come back to both; all the 2Ls at my first half firm split, and all I have spoken to since school started got offers.


Contemplating splitting between one of the "Big Three" (allowing a first-half 6 week or 10 week stay) and another Texas firm (second half only). I am genuinely concerned that splitting will send the wrong signals to the former firm--divided loyalty/lack of interest--and that six weeks is not enough time to spend with a firm. On the other hand, I really liked the other Texas firm, it's in my hometown, and I would like to develop connections with them even if it's not the firm I join after graduation.

Do you really trust the UT wisdom?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:38 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:08 pm

I think splitting would be fine.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contemplating splitting between one of the "Big Three"


Big 3? I didn't know Latham Houston allowed splitting???

Splits are acceptable, 12 weeks of pay > 6 weeks of pay. If you have a choice, take the firm you want the most for the 1st half. Popular opinion says that is the firm you end up accepting an offer at.


The big three in TX are V&E, Baker Botts, and Fulbright.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Texas Split

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 pm

subconsciously it might hurt, and they see less of you...so who knows. imo, it is negligible and they understand it is common practice. id do it if it were an option, though it is a bit disingenuous if you have ZERO interest in the 2nd firm...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:33 pm

I still wouldn't worry about splitting, lol. More money, less problems.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
burtonrideclub
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Re: Texas Split

Postby burtonrideclub » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contemplating splitting between one of the "Big Three"


Big 3? I didn't know Latham Houston allowed splitting???

Splits are acceptable, 12 weeks of pay > 6 weeks of pay. If you have a choice, take the firm you want the most for the 1st half. Popular opinion says that is the firm you end up accepting an offer at.


The big three in TX are V&E, Baker Botts, and Fulbright.


lol @ fulbright being part of the big 3 still. Is that just cause the building their headquarters inhabits is named after them? Enron Field FTW


you must not be from houston.....or texas

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Texas is a market very accustomed to splitting, by the way.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:you must not be from houston.....or texas


LOL, yes, because Enron Field is SO at the fore-front of every non-Houstonian's mind.

Enjoy your Fulbright offer. I'm sure you'll make a great trial lawyer. I'll reference you if you give me some identifying info.


I think he meant in that you don't think FJ is one of the Big 3 any longer (though I guess I'd agree it is the bottom of the 3)...who would you replace there?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Ive heard that the market is moving away from offering 2nd half programs, though.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Latham, if we were talking about transactions. Who cares if were talking about lit.


pretty sure everyone means overall. it's cute that you're off in your own world with your own views of what people mean, but generally things like T14 or Big 3 in TX or Big 4 in accounting refer to a commonly recognized group.

it's still a bit early to say latham is a big 3 in transactional work imo, and i certainly dont know of many current TX attorneys who think that way ("reputationally-speaking" at least). that being said, i can definitely see it being true in the near future...though they seem much more like a transactional boutique atm, w/ ~40 attorneys...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham, if we were talking about transactions. Who cares if were talking about lit.


pretty sure everyone means overall. it's cute that you're off in your own world with your own views of what people mean, but generally things like T14 or Big 3 in TX or Big 4 in accounting refer to a commonly recognized group.

it's still a bit early to say latham is a big 3 in transactional work imo, and i certainly dont know of many current TX attorneys who think that way ("reputationally-speaking" at least). that being said, i can definitely see it being true in the near future...though they seem much more like a transactional boutique atm, w/ ~40 attorneys...


Current TX attorneys must be behind the news cycle then. Most of the top V&E, BB, and Akin Gump lawyers left for Latham. For a less than 2 year old office, it is already doing better TX work than arguably anyone but the firms it took its partners from. If you want to rank TX Big 3 based on employment litigation strength, go ahead; but Texas is still an energy driven state and its best to associate your name with the top energy firms. I'll call Fulbright if I need civil rights work, though.

ITT: I out myself on which firm I want to work for.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:52 pm

All the 2Ls who split at my firm got offers. Firms want you to spend first half with them because something like 90%+ of people who split first half end up accepting their offer from the first half firm. They may not like that you're splitting, but if they no-offer you it won't be because you split.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Now that everybody has whipped it out and measured, can we get the thread back on topic?

What about doing 8 weeks at the first half firm and 6 at the second half? Is this possible or must it be 6 or 10 at the first half firm?

*anon b/c I'm thinking about something like this after my second half firm told me they are very flexible about my start date.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham, if we were talking about transactions. Who cares if were talking about lit.


pretty sure everyone means overall. it's cute that you're off in your own world with your own views of what people mean, but generally things like T14 or Big 3 in TX or Big 4 in accounting refer to a commonly recognized group.

it's still a bit early to say latham is a big 3 in transactional work imo, and i certainly dont know of many current TX attorneys who think that way ("reputationally-speaking" at least). that being said, i can definitely see it being true in the near future...though they seem much more like a transactional boutique atm, w/ ~40 attorneys...


Current TX attorneys must be behind the news cycle then. Most of the top V&E, BB, and Akin Gump lawyers left for Latham. For a less than 2 year old office, it is already doing better TX work than arguably anyone but the firms it took its partners from. If you want to rank TX Big 3 based on employment litigation strength, go ahead; but Texas is still an energy driven state and its best to associate your name with the top energy firms. I'll call Fulbright if I need civil rights work, though.

ITT: I out myself on which firm I want to work for.


No kidding. You're misrepresenting the shit out of the legal market while you're at it. Latham is, no doubt, a burgeoning power in the Houston legal market, but to claim it's the top in transactional work in Texas is ignorant.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas Split

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Now that everybody has whipped it out and measured, can we get the thread back on topic?

What about doing 8 weeks at the first half firm and 6 at the second half? Is this possible or must it be 6 or 10 at the first half firm?

*anon b/c I'm thinking about something like this after my second half firm told me they are very flexible about my start date.


A 16 week summer sounds brutal, but if they are open I see no problem. Most have specific dates, though.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Now that everybody has whipped it out and measured, can we get the thread back on topic?

What about doing 8 weeks at the first half firm and 6 at the second half? Is this possible or must it be 6 or 10 at the first half firm?

*anon b/c I'm thinking about something like this after my second half firm told me they are very flexible about my start date.

The most I've heard of was something like 7 and 6. Of course, I haven't heard from many splits (not at school in Texas). I actually think firms want you to stay longer because they feel they have a better chance of keeping you if you stay longer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:56 pm

FulbrighTTT
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Now that everybody has whipped it out and measured, can we get the thread back on topic?

What about doing 8 weeks at the first half firm and 6 at the second half? Is this possible or must it be 6 or 10 at the first half firm?

*anon b/c I'm thinking about something like this after my second half firm told me they are very flexible about my start date.



If the first firm has a program that runs 8 weeks, then I don't know why you couldn't go 8 and then 6. I think there are a few first half firms that run a first half program that runs 8 weeks. I think all they want is you to 1) start there and 2) Do a minimum of 6 weeks. They should have no problem with you wanting to do the full 8 weeks (and they probably encourage it).

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Texas Split

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No kidding. You're misrepresenting the shit out of the legal market while you're at it. Latham is, no doubt, a burgeoning power in the Houston legal market, but to claim it's the top in Texas is ignorant.


Who is challenging Latham with their work? T4 is BB, VE, Akin, and Latham. We all know Dallas is irrelevant at best, anyways, so hayboo would just be mentioned for the lulz.


Um for Corporate you got Weil, AK, and Jones Day. For Lit you have...well everyone since there is no lit department.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Texas Split

Postby 20121109 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:13 am

The anon abuse in this thread is absolutely ridiculous. Simply discussing the relative strength of comparable firms is no reason to post anonymously. Prepare to be outed.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.