Sheppard Mullin

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sheppard Mullin

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Thoughts on this firm?

There are a lot of positives, IMO:

-No leverage (This comes from pretty authoritative people within the firm. They don't have any debt to speak of, short or long term).

-Pays NY market lockstep.

-Great for litigation, especially in certain areas like employment.

-Sunny southern california location.

-Known as hard working, but not obscene. Minimum hours of 1950/year to hit your bonus and to stay in the firm's good books. Partnership track is "something with a 2 in front of it."

-Revenue per lawyer is strong for an LA based firm of its rank (750k). PPP is rising and already pretty high. Attracting, not bleeding partners.

-Associate happiness (according to Amlaw) is really high. I don't know how accurate this metric is, however....

-The summer program is ranked extremely highly by those who have gone through it.

Do people think that these positives justify taking Sheppard over much higher ranked (but less financially healthy) law firms? The only downside I can really see is that exit options aren't as good once you leave the west coast.

Anonymous User

Re: Sheppard Mullin

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:39 pm

I am considering taking Sheppard Mullin over a V5, V10, and V50. For the reasons you mention and b/c I really liked the attorneys I met with. Also recent SAs I've talked to had great things to say about the firm.

Reasons I get for not going there (besides exit options): (1) it is a regional firm and (2) the clients and work are less sexy. These reasons are not particularly appealing to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:42 pm

I am still considering SM over some much higher ranked firms. I had a partner tell me he'd never billed 2200 hours in a year. The only thing that concerns me is exit options. The work probably isn't as sexy (as someone mentioned), but it's still complex and interesting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:45 pm

I also seriously considered taking SM's SF office over V5-20 firms. In the end the main reason I didn't end up there was the fact that they couldn't promise they'd have an opening in corporate. They seem super cool, and all the reasons you mentioned are really solid, IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:51 pm

I also have an offer from Sheppard Mullin - the NYC office. I was extremely impressed. The people seemed great, a small growing office where associates get lots of responsibility early and parntership prospects would be higher than an already established NYC stalwart. In addition, their offices on the 39th floor of 30 Rock were the best NYC offices I have ever seen (brand new, recently renovated + unbeatable views).

Unfortunately, I think the NYC office is a few years away. At this juncture - the firm where you start your career, receive training, develop practice area interests + skills - it unfortunately doesn't beat out the 2 V50s or 2 other V75s where I have offers from.

Definitely going to remember if I ever want to lateral tho...

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:20 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At this juncture - the firm where you start your career, receive training, develop practice area interests + skills - it unfortunately doesn't beat out the 2 V50s or 2 other V75s where I have offers from.

Definitely going to remember if I ever want to lateral tho...

I follow this logic, but think it's overrated if you know that Sheppard Mullin is the kind of firm you want to ultimately end at.

Another plus, via NALP: 26 of 27 summers firm wide were given offers in 2010.

Fair point, but my original (above) reasoning was more predicated on the current quality of its work/clients vis-a-vis other established NYC-based firms that are higher ranked (for whatever that's worth) but are also definitely doing, and getting recognized for, some bigtime work in the NYC market. Not saying SMRH's work in NYC isn't substantial/impressive, but the office was only opened in 2004: the firm has a TON of decisions to make about its place in the NYC legal market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Mind dropping the Sheppard (nyc) offer if you're not planning to take it? Love the firm and hoping for an offer myself. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also seriously considered taking SM's SF office over V5-20 firms. In the end the main reason I didn't end up there was the fact that they couldn't promise they'd have an opening in corporate. They seem super cool, and all the reasons you mentioned are really solid, IMO.

Would you mind sharing the office you interviewed at? I am interested in the possible lack of corporate opening.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also seriously considered taking SM's SF office over V5-20 firms. In the end the main reason I didn't end up there was the fact that they couldn't promise they'd have an opening in corporate. They seem super cool, and all the reasons you mentioned are really solid, IMO.

Would you mind sharing the office you interviewed at? I am interested in the possible lack of corporate opening.

SF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on this firm?

There are a lot of positives, IMO:

-No leverage (This comes from pretty authoritative people within the firm. They don't have any debt to speak of, short or long term).

-Pays NY market lockstep.

-Great for litigation, especially in certain areas like employment.

-Sunny southern california location.

-Known as hard working, but not obscene. Minimum hours of 1950/year to hit your bonus and to stay in the firm's good books. Partnership track is "something with a 2 in front of it."

-Revenue per lawyer is strong for an LA based firm of its rank (750k). PPP is rising and already pretty high. Attracting, not bleeding partners.

-Associate happiness (according to Amlaw) is really high. I don't know how accurate this metric is, however....

-The summer program is ranked extremely highly by those who have gone through it.

Do people think that these positives justify taking Sheppard over much higher ranked (but less financially healthy) law firms? The only downside I can really see is that exit options aren't as good once you leave the west coast.

All these reasons and more led me to this firm. Granted, my only other higher-ranking offer was a V60, but I think the firm is stronger in CA than the Vault suggests. A lot of your decision will probably also depend on practice group. In my case, I felt sure the partners were solid, as well as being cool. It seems the exit options are good in CA (I have anecdotal evidence of this) but I can't speak to exit options on the right coast.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:11 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am considering taking Sheppard Mullin over a V5, V10, and V50. For the reasons you mention and b/c I really liked the attorneys I met with. Also recent SAs I've talked to had great things to say about the firm.

Reasons I get for not going there (besides exit options): (1) it is a regional firm and (2) the clients and work are less sexy. These reasons are not particularly appealing to me.

I am this anon. Accepting today for the LA office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am considering taking Sheppard Mullin over a V5, V10, and V50. For the reasons you mention and b/c I really liked the attorneys I met with. Also recent SAs I've talked to had great things to say about the firm.

Sweet!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

That's great! It's funny, most of the lawyers I've spoken to there have a similar story. They either left a place like Skadden or O'Melveny, OR they chose sheppard over places like that as a 2L going through OCI.

I think we'll all be thanking ourselves in 5 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's great! It's funny, most of the lawyers I've spoken to there have a similar story. They either left a place like Skadden or O'Melveny, OR they chose sheppard over places like that as a 2L going through OCI.

I think we'll all be thanking ourselves in 5 years.

+1. Some of the guys I talked to came over from Latham and Paul Hastings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Has anyone on here accepted a Sheppard-NY offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:38 pm

I interviewed with Sheppard CC and really liked them, but it's been over two weeks since the cb and my emails/calls to find out their hiring schedule have gone unanswered....Has anyone heard back from this office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 pm

CC has recently given at least one offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CC has recently given at least one offer

Stats and cb date?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Sorry, not sure. I didn't get the offer, just heard about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:20 pm

For those who accepted or turned down offers: please list your reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:06 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Not sure what I can add to what has already been said. I joined for a number of reasons including the following. Geographic. Culture is supposed to be pretty cool place as far as big law goes. Got the impression that the firm and the partners I interviewed with are genuinely interested in mentoring associates and helping them develop their careers. Nice office. Good pay. Name recognition (CA).

Return to “Legal Employment”